Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Psychedelic Eyeball made it a ways into doing a Binding of Isaac LP before running out of steam; you can find the videos on his YouTube. There's just too much poo poo in that game to unlock (sometimes literally!) and each individual run unlocks relatively little new stuff, though, so it's not surprising he didn't finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Jon Do posted:

Has anyone got any techincally/mechanically challenging game type LP reccomendations? I love XCOM, stuff like that. I'm a big fan of informative LPs, given the right personality for the dry subject matter.

Gods Will Be Watching, kind of? The scenarios are a lot of "keep all these plates spinning" things, and the LPer demonstrates effective tactics for each scenario to minimize the RNG screw.

DoctorKill's OoT and Majora's Mask LPs are also great technical breakdowns of famous games, and show some really weird ways to go about "playing" them. Like doing all the adult dungeons as a child and all the child dungeons as an adult, for example.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Happiness Commando posted:

I can't remember the name of the game that was LPed a while ago - it featured an overworld map that was populated by special items that you planted, and inside each area was sidescroll-y action. There was a crazy complex build order for the overworld map as certain things had to be planted in certain places to be able to access 100% of the content. I vaguely remember it looking like the SNES 16 bit era. Help?

Edit: and I think there were S/A/whatever rankings after the fights

The overworld sounds exactly like Legend of Mana, but not the sidescrolliness or rankings. Any chance you're getting two games combined in your mind? What was the action content like?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Petr posted:

Is there a LP of Rogue Legacy where the player is actually competent, either here or somewhere else? I find that game really relaxing to watch, but most of the let's players I've seen are terrible to the point of it being irritating.

Also, is there a LP of 2016 Doom that stops and points out the lore stuff hidden in the game?

Our very own Smite did an LP of Rogue Legacy, and considering that he was (is?) speedrunning it, he's competent. Link.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nihilarian posted:

I didn't get to watch much of SGDQ 2016. Any standout runs?

Honestly I found this SGDQ to be a bit underwhelming. Still, from what I've watched so far, PJ is usually good watching; he did a 100% of Bionic Commando (NES) this year. I also enjoyed The Goonies II (2P race), Skyblazer (but I'm a sucker for that game), Freedom Planet (gets pretty well snapped by the player), Gargoyle's Quest 2, much of the Elder Scrolls block (plus Two Worlds), the SMW race, and of course Pepsiman.

Disclaimer: personal tastes may apply.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thuryl's LPs in general, and Chokes McGee's Wizardry/Final Fantasy Legend LPs are both good screenshot LPs. They do the whole "give personalities to generic PCs and have witty dialog" thing. There's also the Icewind Dale 2 LP, which is similar. Those're all on lparchive.org.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Fenrir posted:

Thanks! Is Thuryl the one who did the Phantasy Star 2 run with his own dialog? If so I've read a few of his, but I don't think I've seen the others you mentioned.

Have a list of all of Thuryl's LPs. But yes, she did Phantasy Stars 1-3.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
How about multiplayer LPs? For awhile, years ago, the Freelance Astronauts' run of New Super Mario Bros Wii was my go-to source of laughs if I needed a pick-me-up. Anything similar these days? PreferablyIf possible not a split-screen setup since I find those hard to follow, especially first-person split-screen.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 7, 2016

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I remember it, but I can't find it either. It was something like a "chill" necromancer or something like that. But it looks like it didn't get archived. And there's a million lovely D2 LPs on YouTube.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
SleepCycles on YouTube has like 500+ Nuclear Throne videos, if you want to see the same 16 levels played over and over again.

The XCOM: Long War LP has 121 missions so far, and several of the missions are multi-part videos.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

LordHippoman posted:

I'm gonna have a ton of monotonous work to do on my computer over the next few weeks, so I'm looking for a long (or just multiple) VLP(s). Preferably nothing that I have to pay too much attention to to follow, since I'll be multitasking.

...but you already finished the wood grind. :v:

More seriously, IronChitlin's Grimrock LP should fit the bill; you don't really need to watch it to understand what's going on, and the banter's good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lethemonster posted:

Thanks guys.

Are there any others where people explain what they are doing as they break the game? I tried the Link's Awakening but just got a bit lost without knowing how or why he was doing things.

Let's Break Final Fantasy VI is a pretty good screenshot LP that goes into good detail about how exactly it's snapping its chosen game in half.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

I'd you're burnt out on unfair dungeon crawls, I don't think loving Wizardry is the solution, at least if the Wizardry I & IV LPs are anything to go by.

"Unfair" and "tedious" are entirely different things. You can be a masochist without being into repeating the same fight over and over again until you're strong enough to repeat a different fight over and over again.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

The LParchive only seems to have an LP of the original Cave Story. Could anyone recommend a good completionist LP of Cave Story + ?

It's the exact same game but with higher-res graphics and an optional hard mode (that does nothing except remove all health upgrades).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Blind Sally posted:

yo, are there any decent Nuclear Throne streams or lps going on the forum atm that I'm just not seeing?

None that I'm aware of. I've watched a bunch of non-goon SleepCycles' Nuclear Throne videos on YouTube, though. Dude has like 500 of them and is pretty good at banter.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Indeed, the ROMHackeria thread is a thing, and would probably be an appropriate place to post your videos. There's already someone doing a VLP of the FF6 Randomizer there, for example.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Galick posted:

Yeah, I've watched a ton of the Astronaut's stuff, though they've probably done more since I last watched.

They haven't updated since 2013, so...probably not.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Is there a good screenshot LP of Final Fantasy 5 out there? SNES, GBA, PSX, I'm not picky.

Yes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

TheSoulian posted:

Whats a good lp in the style of Orange Fluffy Sheep? Where the LPer just breaks the game over their knee. Preferably screenshot.

What you probably want is challenge runs, since those are the ones where the LPer is looking to demonstrate systems mastery.

Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but if you haven't seen Quovak's low-level challenge for Chrono Trigger, you really should. It's a trip.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Xerophyte posted:

This isn't an LP exactly, but there's a race tournament of the Link to the Past Randomizer going on and the semi-final race they ran today was pretty awesome as races go. Check it out if you want to see two people play A Link to the Past very quickly and in a weird order.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPPolAyRV0

Thanks for the link, this is pretty cool!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

A Sometimes Food posted:

Are there good lps of Heroes of Might and Magic/new King's Bounty onsite? I've only found the Heroes 1 and old KB ones on the archive and the Heroes 2 one but I remember seeing at least Heroes 5 and new King's Bounty on here at some point?

There's an ongoing LP of King's Bounty: The Legend.

e:f;b

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

fieldmouse posted:

Hello! Does anyone know if there are any Castlevania VLPs you'd recommend, especially of any of the 3D games?

E: second request -- any VLPs by women? Any games really.

AccountingNightmare did some VLPs of the Devil May Cry series; they're on the archives.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Earnestly posted:

I'd recommend their videos.

Men Drinkin' Coffee is one of the best LP groups to ever outgrow the subforum. Once they come crawling back their humbling will be great.

...why would they ever come crawling back? :confused:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Y'all could have linked the thread. I guess you didn't really want people to read it. :dawkins101:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you're not reading You Have 001 Goblins already, you should be.

(That's not technically an IF, since those are games like Zork...I think this is CYOA? It's sort of like IF improv)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

CaptainScraps posted:

I really like watching drunk people play videogames. I watched all the medibot/Kaz/kungfujesus Mario parties and I'm working my way through dokapon kingdom with danaru and grace and loving it.

Any other recommendations?

Look up the Freelance Astronauts' LP of New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Galick posted:

So I'm in a race mood and AGDQ is still a while away, anyone got any good races of games? Preferably Zelda-likes or platformers!

There's a crapton of Link to the Past Randomizer races out there. A search like this one will turn up a bunch of stuff.

You can also watch old AGDQ/SGDQ races.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying this series on BeamNG.drive, wherein two guys explore everything you can do with a "vehicle soft body simulator". Expect lots of crashes, physics, and general silliness.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

ban everyone imo

User was banned for this post.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:shobon: Thanks, Strix! oh god, i wrote fanfic

All LPs are at least one of a) terrible, b) fanfic, and c) mechanistic explorations of the game. :v:

I'd like to take this moment to recommend Thuryl's Might & Magic LPs, all on the archives. And while we're at it, Nakar's Ultima LPs are pretty good, though 6, Martian Dreams, and 7 are the strongest IMO.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

So I heard people in here were clamoring for LPers with a big ego, and boy do I have a recommendation for y'all...

Man, I would love to see PewDiePie try to run an LP here. Emphasis on "try".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I recall his Shadow of the Colossus LP actually being rather good, featuring a nice exploration of the environment as well as lesser known details, like grabbing the birds or hunting the lizards. He genuinely can do a good LP when he isn't sticking to his tiresome shtick.

Yeah, you don't get that kind of viewership without understanding at least some aspects of showmanship and production and so on. His approach is just kind of diametrically opposed to the SA approach.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mega64 posted:

Sure, why not.

I mean if you know any LPs where an LPer gets hit by a bus I'd probably count that too. It probably wouldn't be an LP I'd necessarily recommend though.

You might check out CAR BOYS.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you like the concept of Metal Wolf Chaos (and if you don't then what are you doing here?) but find the LPs a bit too slow-going as I did, fortunately it was run for Summer Games Done Quick 2014, by Murphagator. The speedrun should give you plenty of the game experience but in a nice digestible two hours.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Getsuya posted:

What are some great informative strategy game video LPs? I suck at that whole genre, everything from X-COM to 4X games to empire building games, and LPs are especially fun if you're watching someone who is very good at games you are very bad at, since you'll never get to experience them for yourself.

Thotimx is doing a Masters of Orion 1 LP right now, getting a win with every race on the highest difficulty.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thank you for linking this. It is gloriously stupid.

I will say, these three Brits have a much better grasp of California's layout than I would of anywhere in the Isles.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

What are the best horror LPs? Recent ones would be preferable as I've been through the LP archive multiple times, but - heck, I'm desperate, rec me anything that's spooky. Screenshots, videos, hit me.

I know what you just said, but on the off chance you haven't heard of it before, Chewbot's LP of Animal Crossing definitely qualifies here.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure I've finished an LP and gotten it archived after the Gods Will Be Watching LP was completed, so if Zenithe asked for archives, then baldurk doesn't process requests in order.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Everyone should really at least watch the last level of Segagaga. It is impressively silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
This one was awhile ago, but DrKill's Ocarina of Time Super Wrong and Majora's Mask Super Wrong LPs are fantastic.
More recently, Restaurant Empire 1 by Enchanted Hat is pretty amazing.