Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I feel like the thread for Neighborhood Necromancer (part of the Choice Of CYOA lineup) is criminally quiet, so I wanted to inform you all that the protagonist is currently dressed as a giant duck and chasing after her skeletons who have gone rogue on Dia de los Muertos.

The skeletons are all wearing sombreros and playing trumpets despite the setting being a small town in England.

No one's quite sure how the skeletons can play the trumpet.

I just want to bring this one back up, because the first run through the game is done now, and a second one is just beginning. The story the first time was wonderfully pacifist/quirky, and the second one is shaping up to be about murdering as many people as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

HeartNotes3 posted:

I also wanted to recommend the 2007 Let's Play Legends of Grimrock by IronChitlin. It's (mostly) complete except for the last 2 levels but it's really entertaining. It's a video humorous group Let's Play and it has accordion music bits too!

I wanted to echo this recommendation. I finally decided to watch it after going through the thread, and it's simply delightful. For convenience, it's located here. Though as a warning, definitely don't watch if you were hoping for something close to skilled. Half the humour comes from Chitlin's inability to manage basic tasks sometimes.

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 26, 2014

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

My idea was to replace all of the music with sublime and Ska music while getting blazed.

Have any good Video LP's ended recently? (last month or so.)

If you didn't catch it, JordanKai and Ikwaylx wrapped up Warioland: Shake It last month, which was delightful both for the skill shown and the aesthetic of the game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

A note about Run Button. They're podcasters who took up LP recently, and they almost never have much to say about the game besides how much it's terrible and how bored they are, and how there's nothing to say this far into it. I really wouldn't recommend them unless you're looking for white noise to fall asleep too.

zflee or Chip and Ironicus are pretty great though.

I like listening to them talk about things, so results may vary. You definitely aren't watching them to show off how to masterfully play a game though. It's just two dudes chilling and playing a game for a while.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Listening to their commentary, it sounds they completely hate every single game they ever play, possibly because they're so bad at playing them. It's not my idea of fun, to say the least.

to be fair, they played every single Sonic game. as has been mentioned, their commentary definitely isn't for everyone, but plenty of people have enjoyed it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Dex and Vilemoon did a pretty great LP of Super Mario 3D World (archives needed) a while ago.

The YouTube playlist is here, but the thread is great just for seeing how many Wii U's and copies of the game they got people to buy with their LP

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Currently looking for some good phone-friendly SSLPs (sometimes images have a bunch of small text that doesn't transfer well) I can read on the go, finished or otherwise. I tend to like RPGs, and I've read TWD's FF9 and am already following the FF7 and FF8 LPs, as well as The Dark Id's Drakengard 3

any thoughts?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Thanks for the recommendations all! Currently trying Bloodnet (I like watching adventure games, since I never really had the patience for many of them when I was younger) and it seems like it will be a good one, after Chapter 1. After that, it seems like Chrono Trigger and the Lunar games might be good, as I've played but not beaten the former and have heard good things about the latter.

While I was bringing it up, the FF8 LP by Cool Ghost is definitely worth checking out if you read SSLPs. Unlike Leovinus, he's giving the game a fair shake and highlighting the good parts, so it's a lot different and (I think) better for it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
While speaking of dungeon crawlers and Grimrock, I thought Iron Chitlin's was great for entertainment purposes:

It was in the 2007 thread, so it might have been overlooked

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
looking for the LP version of a podcast, I guess? something I can just put on and listen to while doing something else. I already know about RunButton, so maybe something in a different vein?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

Iron Chitlin did a run of Legend of Grimrock for the casual LP thread that I absolutely love. Its just a group of friends getting together to watch Chitlin play a game and occasionally play accordion and its a lot of fun!

Alternatively a thing I've been doing recently is watching the Super Meat Boy races that Smite hosted a while back! I have like...zero interest in the game but its fun to listen to people get together and race, and watching the bonus races is what inspired me to start hosting my own!

The Legend of Grimrock LP is actually one I caught in the thread and is one of my favourites--especially the accordion bits and everyone giving Chitlin poo poo for messing up--but I love races so I'll definitely take a look at the Super Meat Boy one. Thanks!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

How about multiplayer LPs? For awhile, years ago, the Freelance Astronauts' run of New Super Mario Bros Wii was my go-to source of laughs if I needed a pick-me-up. Anything similar these days? PreferablyIf possible not a split-screen setup since I find those hard to follow, especially first-person split-screen.

If you want to watch some people go humourously through a bad game, there's Kalon (and company)'s Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One LP, which is one of those 4-player brawler-type games.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bogart posted:

RealSovietBear's LSD: Dream Emulator LP is shaping up to be something real special.

Here's a link if you want to check it out

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Lampsacus posted:

I'm looking for a super long LP. Like, super long. At the detriment of quality, long.
The best I can find is:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeCMeVH84_A
... Which I've watched in its entirety.

There was also a Romance of Three Kingdoms LP by a quiet dude. It went on for like three hundred 30 minute episodes and when he finally finished he was like. "So yeah. Cool."

RunButton are well into playing every Sonic and Mario game ever made (over 200 and 100 videos respectively)

if you don't mind something subtitled, BrainWeasel's LP of FFXII IZJS was absolutely inspired, and is well worth reading the thread for, because he had people write "assignments" for the "class" he was teaching through the LP

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
you're probably thinking of Iron Chitlin's, complete with accordion

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Princey posted:

So, apparently what I'm craving right now in an LP is sweet, sweet mechanics chat. Just finished reading through a FFII LP that did a lot of explaining of its obtuse stat and skill progression system and ways to break the game over your knee, and I'm looking for more.

Other LPs I've enjoyed in that vein are TooMuchAbstraction's Angband LP (here's an intimidating game; here's how you play it well); all of Melth's stuff (here is how you tactically powergame to overcome absurdly difficult self-imposed challenges, with lots and lots of in-depth mechanics and tactics chat); and the Wizardry IV LP on the archive (this game is loving unfair; here is all the poo poo you have to do to beat it anyway).

Any suggestions?

you may enjoy Orange Fluffy Sheep's FF Tactics and Digimon World LPs

it doesn't get more obtuse than needing to have a friend look at the game's source code to let you know what's going on

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Add the FFTA one to the list while you're at it.

I just read through it recently and watching him steal everything into oblivion is goddamn amazing, so I'd recommend it as well.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'd like to recommend Iron Chitlin's Grimrock 2 LP, if only for the chance to watch all his co-commentators' blood pressure rise. Come for the dungeon crawling, stay to see who goes Super Saiyan first!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804072

I love watching him explain himself retroactively.

"I need to use that key to open the door, but at this point I don't realise I have it so I go looking for it" :allears:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
archives are the only forum upgrade I've bought and I feel like it's been well worth it for LP threads alone

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
my wife hates playing scary games but loves watching them. any recommendations for subtitled horror-ish games (she doesn't like people talking over stuff very much)? we've already watched Bioshock, SOMA, and Outlast

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Jordbo posted:

I'm trying to find fun LPs with people having a good time playing video games - I'm thinking similar to geop's group stuff, or Saints Row 2, or the coffee men. Any suggestions? Preferably dumb with lots of laughs

friend have you watched New Super Mario Bros Wii?

Playlist here

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Hi, I'm looking for a LP group that runs bad games blind, filled with incompetent boobery, preferably in a streaming format that is later cut into smaller digestible videos?

it's not exactly what you're asking for, but have you checked out RunButton? they don't do just bad games, but they did play every Sonic game (and there are some bad ones in there) and are still in the process of playing every Mario game. they're not always going in blind, but it's not like they're pro-strat mega gamers who do everything well either. they've played a lot of other games too, which you can check out on their channel (for example, doing Silent Hill 1-3 blind)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Can anyone recommend highly educational LPs? I just went through the Silent Steel LP, and all of that submarine history was great. Grey Hunter makes some that I really like, but I'd prefer fewer spreadsheets. Please and thank you.

my absolute favourites are probably Zorak and co's Endless Ocean and Endless Ocean: Blue World LPs. just watch some chill diving while learning about Greek mythology and marine biology

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Mega64 posted:

It's been recommended already, but the Rock Paper Scissors thread is so good we actually goldmined it. So if you haven't read it yet, what are you waiting for?

I passed it over until after it was already done and I feel shame for having done so. as penance, I will second this recommendation

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Paintamac posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for something to watch that is really relaxing? I've been have a series of really lovely days lately and could just use something nice and simple to unwind with.

if I recall, Diabetus's Super Mario Galaxy 2 is mostly chilling and face puns.

there's also JordanKai's Kirby's Epic Yarn LP in which he mostly succeeds in a no-kill run for Waddle-Dees

or psymonkey's Kirby's Dream Course LP

e: fixed the Mario Galaxy link. just had an extra quote lying around in the url

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 6, 2017

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Jygallax posted:

Can anyone recommend some LP's of some FMV/point and click games which are mystery/detective/horror themed? Preferably ones with two hosts to play off each other. I recently finished an LP of Contradiction: Spot the Liar! and now I'm itching for more like that. Bonus points for being really cheesy.

These don't have two hosts, but I like Niggurath's Phantasmagoria LP and Malorie's The 7th Guest LP. they're subtitled though, so if you really want someone to listen to, don't go for those.

For a duo that's a little less on the horror, more on the funny, RChimp Cola and Sinatrapod did a great LP of Resident Evil 5

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sociopastry posted:

Anyone have a good LP of Little Nightmares? I got the game but I am a HUGE WIMP and cannot play scary games very good.

if you don't mind a longplay instead (I don't know how much commentary of any kind would really add to it anyway) Survival Horror Network did one. I kind of like them for horror games since commentary can break the ambiance

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, is there any spiderman video game lps? (Other than the C&I from way back when)

there's a Spider-Man game LP mega thread going on right now

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Yar The Pirate posted:

Can anyone recommend an LPer to watch that plays through JRPGs or RPGs relatively competently? The closest comparison I can think of is maybe Clemps but instead of analysis, it's an LP where the host knows enough about the game to have an ongoing discussion about it while playing. Another comparison might be how Bobbin Threadbare showed off Rogue Galaxy so well that I felt no need to play through the game myself since he demonstrated the story and all the little secrets.

it's a subtitle LP, but BrainWeasel did one of the best LPs I've ever seen of Final Fantasy XII IZJS. it's set up like a college course and people wrote mini essays in response to questions he posed so it's worth reading the thread

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Since there's been requests for chill LPs of horror games - I really recommend 'Survival Horror Network' on youtube.

They're a team of players.
No commentary whatsoever.
High resolution.
Games are usually 100% completed and show off all the content, though there is some variance - e.g. the RE7 LP doesn't unlock every single coin collectible or whatever.
Pretty decent selection.
And 'movie-like experience' - they aren't done as speedruns, they're just competent playthroughs that are somewhat done 'as the character' - the player will occasionally realistically 'peek' at badguys and find items the 'correct' way, e.g. if there's hints to an item, they'll find all the hints first, not just rush to where they know it is.

Only potential downside is that they're done as 'longplays', so no episodes for the most part - just one long video for an entire game. DLC is usually done as separate videos, though. Basically whatever it takes to make it feel like a continuous movie.

Anyway this was a godsend for when I was looking for a good RE7 LP that wasn't blind, but also didn't have someone jabbering in the corner or otherwise ruining the mood.

seconding this. I've been watching their LPs for a while and I feel like horror games really lend themselves to not having commentary so it's been a really fun channel to go through and watch.

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm in the mood to read some strategy screenshot lps. I've read most of the Advance Wars and Fire Emblem ones on the archive, and I'm currently reading the Dark Crusade lp. But are there any other really good ones? Not really interested in video.

FF Tactics and FF Tactics Advance by Orange Fluffy Sheep are both great

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Galick posted:

So I'm in a race mood and AGDQ is still a while away, anyone got any good races of games? Preferably Zelda-likes or platformers!

you can check any of the old goon race threads to see if one tickles your fancy:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=372577o

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521844

I remember enjoying the Crash Bandicoot series races, Spyro the Dragon series races, and the DKC1 and 2 races

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Foul Ole Ron posted:

I have been gone a long time. What's the general top 10 must see LP's of all time? Have they changed much from the initial thread post?

LPs that I like but aren't in the OP (I don't think--I'm tablet posting so it's a pain to check) are:

SSLPs

Digimon World by OrangeFluffySheep

Digimon World Is a terribly and cryptically coded game--so much so that OFS had to have a friend analyse the code of the game in order to figure out how to get a Digimon he wanted--and OFS breaks it open.

Final Fantasy VIII by Cool Ghost

Cool Ghost showed a lot of people that FFVIII is a better game than it gets credit for--they just hid a lot of it in obscure scenes most people never saw.

Video LPs

Crash Bandicoot 1-3 by JordanKai and Ikwaylx

They both love the games and they're good at them (getting all the platinum relics and 100+%), so it's just a joy to watch.

Spyro 2 and Spyro 3 by Just A Friend and SinatraPod

similar to Crash above. Just A Friend also breaks the games by showing how to skip whole sections whenever possible through a number of different kinds of glitches

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Roluth posted:

The Crash thread you gave here has a whole lot of dead links to a dead Youtube channel. Is there another place where those videos are?

that's... a good question. I didn't realise that they had taken the videos down, and I can't imagine why. according to the master list, it (and their other good LP of The Wrath of Cortex) were definitely on the archive at one point, so they must have asked that they be taken down. :iiam:

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

malkav11 posted:

There was one a while back but it petered out. And of course there are a zillion Youtube LPs of it but YMMV how tolerable they are. I personally found the Scary Game Squad playthrough reasonably decent - no face cams, not too much exaggerated fright, etc. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFx-KViPXIkFNftmkbEGV3rJSa7bKHngs

for horror games, I prefer long plays anyway, and SHN is a channel on YouTube that does specifically that:

https://youtu.be/h6VW-AVQqck

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

FluxFaun posted:

So besides all the wonderful chill LPs in the OP, are there any LPs of games that are more like podcasts than anything else? I'm needing something to put on in the background while I work.

anything by Run Button. their ________ Years of Sonic/Mario especially

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

I can't second this one enough. It's also one where you very much want to read the thread if you have archives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I heavily recommend Endless Ocean: Blue World by Zorak and co for an LP that is both chill and informative. most of the learning is about fish and Greek mythology. they did the first Endless Ocean too, but I think this one is better