Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

Heart Thumping Field Trip
BIG PANIC?

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Spec Ops: The Line will make you hate yourself for playing it, and watching the LP will at the very least make you feel dirty.

This. Spec Ops was a magnificent surprise when I went into it blind, and Oatmeal Raisin did a beautiful job of showing what makes it so... interesting.

I really hope more games come along that make me feel like the protagonist of a David Lynch film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Apparently there's some crazy AI fuckery towards the end.

It does some pretty cute tricks near the end, yeah.

FNaF (or whatever) is pretty fun. It could use more mechanics- more multitasking, perhaps having to fiddle with a laptop to pick apart the pizzeria's dark secrets while also checking the monitors, or something like that- but it's still a decent set of spooks. The atmosphere and style really reminds me of the sort of PC game that you'd see on shelves in the 90s, sitting in a huge garish cardboard box next to a chunky manual...

Sadly, it wouldn't be too fun to watch the whole game be played on its own merits, which is why it's not likely we'll see a quality no-facecam playthough of it anytime soon. More fun to play than to watch. SGF's video pretty much encapsulates the game, aside from the rest of the amusing phone messages.
Best way to experience it is to drop the $5 on Steam, or grit your teeth through a facecam LP.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

your evil twin posted:

I intend to LP original Half-Life - and all of the expansions by Gearbox Software - after I've finished my current LPs of Singularity and Darkest of Days.

I used to write for Planet Half-Life and I was known on various Half-Life forums as "the official Half-Life guru". :)

I must warn you, though, I update at a rate of about a video a month. (Sometimes slower!) So... don't get too excited too soon.

Oh man, now I'm all stoked. I'm excited far too soon.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

mkob posted:

I'd recommended NieR by Chaos Shadow. This is a 100% completion LP and the let's player went the extra mile by writing long in-depth analysis about the plot, characters and various design philosophy shenanignan. If you're already familiar with the game then skip the videos from the LP and read her metaposts analysis where she covers topics such as the importance of NieR's sidequests for world building and character development and why yoko taro and his team executed it so well, etc.

Woah this is gold. Definitely second this recommendation, I was looking for a good informative LP of Nier lately and this hits the mark almost too well. Interesting to see it from the perspective of the time when it seemed like everything Drakengard/NieR was dead and buried, too.

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?

StrixNebulosa posted:

And finally, to learn more but in the adventure game genre with a different LPer - Bacter's Laura Bow LPs are great. Laura Bow and the Colonel's Bequest + Laura Bow and the Dagger of Amon Ra.

I'll give a general seconding to Bacter's Laura Bow LPs. The first in particular's one of my absolute favorites and I really wanna see more creative presentation and storytelling in LPs like he pulled off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DumbRodent
Jan 15, 2013

BIG PANIC?
Petscop is a thing you might wanna check out.. It is a normal let's play of an alpha version of an unreleased PS1 game.

DumbRodent fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 25, 2017