Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Here's some finished LPs from LPF I really enjoyed. While most of us from LPF are on SA as well some just aren't, which deprives you of some genuinely great LPs.

Hitman: Contracts by Sabateini: Sab knows the game really well which shows in his commentary and gameplay. He focuses on showing several approaches to each Level too, which is a big draw of the game.

Just Cause 2 by Speedyard: Speedyard does a great job of showing us why the game is fun with his entertaining commentary. The first two or so episodes are a little weaker than the rest but they still are far from bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I thought the point was less to put LPs that are already popular into the spotlight, but more to show the more overlooked but still great LPs you can find occasionally.
So maybe exclude threads that have gone gold? Or have a visible rating? (Dunno how many votes it takes for one to appear)

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

The main problem I have with Epic Name Bro is that he can't hold a train of thought for longer than five seconds before getting distracted when doing live commentary and yet thinks his live commentary flows better. It's basically "I have something interesting to say but here's that thing you don't care about instead. So that thing you don't care about is done? Okay cool, so about that interesting thing, no wait there's this other thing you don't care about I might as well not talk about at all coming up, let me discuss that in detail and then trail off and never mention that cool sounding thing again"
The above simply makes his vids unbearable to watch for me.

Highest chance of someone else making a decent more informative LP is whenever the next Dark Souls II LP starts here. I was kinda expecting more people than just me starting one up but aside from one guy in the Sandcastle who apparently decided not to do it after all for some reason I didn't see anything of the sort. I'd watch a well made one and wouldn't mind someone else doing one at the same time as mine.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 12, 2014

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

That was actually all just an elaborate ruse to get people to watch an LP of the Angry Birds RPG.

Naw, there was another guy who was doing co-commentary with some buddy of his. Needed work but could have become good.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

what's the name of that german jrpg game the guy translated that's apparently pretty good

Unterwegs in Düsterburg.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

It also bears mentioning that by far not every SA LP is actually good and they still get watched and no poo poo at all because they don't do one of the things everybody has a knee-jerk reaction about. I personally don't like very many pure Youtube LPers, if I get the feeling it's more about their person than the game it seems more like a vlog with a video game to me, and to make those interesting to me you gotta be really entertaining.

There also are other LP Forums, by the way. A lot of them appear to be mainly Johnny McYoutube's promoting their channels but there's at least one that actually demands quality of its LPers (a little too much, one might argue) but most LPers from there, myself included, post their LPs here as well because there would be almost no thread interaction otherwise due to the lack of an audience. Somehow the LP Forum that costs ten bucks to join is the most biggest one. Mostly because it's not all there is to SA.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Richard Gamingo is my favourite SA LPer. He and Valkhorn were the true pinnacle of the craft.
What's up with Valkhorn anyway? I've only seen parts of his Ballance LP and it seemed okay. Not especially good but from the way people talk about him he seems like he's either a poo poo LPer or a poo poo guy.

flatluigi posted:

Was anyone even talking about that?

Scroll about three posts up from your last one and then start reading.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Teledahn posted:

Check out Best Friend Skull, he did an LP of the game and is pretty great at it.

I don't think he ever finished it. I just remember his thread being mysteriously locked all of a sudden and BFS banned. His rap sheet didn't exactly imply ~hilarious~ goon hijinx leading to the ban which put a foul aftertaste in my mouth, having watched his videos. Not that you shouldn't be able to still enjoy his videos, which were probably the best LP videos of the game, it's just that I'm having a hard time.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Zedd posted:

I'll take a decent DMC4 LP (Accountingnightmare :argh::v:)

Well, look at what just got posted earlier today, buddy!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720448

I would also like to recommend Accounting Nightmare's restarted DMC4 LP I just linked.
I missed the first thread when it was active and didn't want to watch an LP that probably wouldn't get finished, ever. But hey, apparently it's gonna be finished now and the first two episodes reminded me of how great the game is.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Sinking Ship posted:

Seems like all their videos that were on blip were taken down :smith:

Mico posted:

E: pre emptive "theres an internet archive banner on this page" reminder
It looks like this and is on most older archives pages:

Just put it on the op or something.

E: Oh, it already IS in the op. Also: I got ninja'd. That's what I get for leaving the page open for longer than a minute.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Niggurath posted:

I quite enjoyed DazzlingAddar's informative LP of Dark Souls 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrtVa1sidm0

The thread for that is still going and nearing its end. Though it's on a temporary hiatus right now.

Dazz' LP is more similar to Squint's in that she plays through the game with one character and tries to show off as many things as possible that way, while mine has the "gimmick" that it splices in footage from NG++ to show the differences.
I haven't watched her entire LP, but as far as I've seen the content is basically the same. So whether or not you prefer one over the other probably just depends on which commentary style you like better and maybe the sounds of our voices.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

For my LP I added downloadable links with the Internet Archive as a host anyway. This is something literally anyone can do by the way. Upload poo poo to the IA, that is. If you want to provide download links for your videos that will last just use IA.
It's weird to seen an LP taken, down though, must have been at the author's request? That or baldurk was informed of the dead links and removed it because of that.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

German is a Nazi tongue. Wait a second. I'll deal with those clowns.

Weiter so, Jungs! Sie werden unseren Plan nie kommen sehen. Das LP Unterforum wird bald uns gehören!

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

Translated. Nice try,Fascist!

I'm sorry man, but google lost some nuance and now I look like I'm a bad guy.

But hey, here's me pretending to want to stay on topic: You might all know slowbeef's Bloodborne thread.
But don't you sometimes wish you could watch someone go through the game with a little skill? Well, then go to Genocyber's Bloodborne thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3736613
For all I know this has been recommended here already but it's good enough to warrant a second recommendation.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, is there any LPs of Just Cause 1 and or 2? I wanna see a dashing hispanic murder his way through a small country.

Here's a pretty sweet Just Cause 2 LP by Speedyard aka Shotgun Butterfly: http://www.letsplayforum.net/showthread.php?4691-VLP-Just-Cause-2-An-Amusement-Park-of-Chaos
He's not a goon so this is an LP people here probably never saw. Unfortunately the linked-to forum is mainly inactive when it comes to LPing these days and the few who still do LP there are goons anyway and also post their LPs here.

While Speedy sometimes does stuff I'm not a big fan of in the beginning of the LP (quipping at cutscenes etc.) it gets better as soon as the second episode and he does a great job of showcasing why this game is awesome and he loves it and why you should play it too. His narrates the action in his own unique way. Overall I found his LP very enjoyable.

Sadly the guy doesn't LP anymore, which is sad, because he left a very good Arkham Asylum LP unfinished.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

what's a good LP of games with bizarre mechanics (like The Void) or hard and obscure puzzles (Riven, La Mulana, etc)

Mentioning La-Mulana you may be interested in Agent355's LP of the game http://lparchive.org/La-Mulana-(by-Agent355)/
Agent and co. go through the game in both regular and hard mode explaining how all the puzzles can be solved using in-game clues.
It's biggest weakness is the "I have to suffer, so you have to too" mentality when it comes to editing sometimes but despite that occasional flaw it's a very enjoyable LP.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

I should've made it clearer that I've seen a La Mulana LP (Highwang's) and have watched the Void, these were examples.

In that case you might like Froze Treasure's Fez LP. It has the distinct quality of not making it its tiresome mission to poo poo on phil fish because lol phil fish sux lol. It instead focuses on the positives. http://lparchive.org/Fez/

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I took a drink every time Olesh fell into the HELL room. Needless to say my spelling got worse as the stream went on.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Gildiss is hilarious and that LP was great. I highly recommend it.

Link is here: http://lparchive.org/Dragons-Dogma/

I liked what I saw of the LP, but I could never get over the fact that it looked like a camcorder LP.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

That's not his fault, it's just what Dragon's Dogma looks like. The color banding in that game is just awful.
It didn't look like that on my PS3, though. Dunno what he did to his footage to make it look like that, but that's not how the game looks. May be his capture device or whatever I don't know.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I want to have a job playing chiĺl video games like Cities: Skylines too.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

IGgy IGsen's one is really good, as usual. No link, but YouTube it.

Someone recommending my LP. What a nice Christmas present. (We celebrate today in Germany)

Have a link.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3780501

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Any decent Horizon: Zero Dawn playthroughs?
You can go with this one if you can dig a subtitled LP of it.
https://www.lp.zone/t/theres-so-much-more-left-to-discover-before-the-world-ends-lets-play-horizon-zero-dawn/2150

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I'm glad someone recommending my LP led to this subforum entering a new golden age.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

malkav11 posted:

What would people recommend as far as completed, informative LPs of Bloodborne and Dark Souls III? (with DLC, ideally). I watched Slowbeef's blind run of Bloodborne and Dazzling Addar's blind run of DSIII, so I've seen the games, but I'd like to see all the little tricks and secrets and stuff and maybe have a better idea of what's going on from a lore perspective. (Also, Addar didn't do the DLC for DSIII, it having not come out at the time, so that'll be new.)

SA LPs preferred, of course, but offsite is fine as long as they don't do poo poo like facecams or leaving the Twitch chat on-camera, etc.

Here's Lotus Gramarye's LP of Bloodborne. She does a great job showing off the game thoroughly (+DLC) and highlighting various playstyles and weapons. It's the best informative solo commentary Bloodborne LP I've seen. And a partial reason for why I don't feel the need to make one myself just yet.

It's not on SA, but here is Wottermelon's Dark Souls III LP that I can wholeheartedly recommend. The fact that I'm in a few DLC episodes of it has nothing to do with it. This is a Co-commentated LP with rotating guests. Going through the entire game and the DLCs

Then there's my own LP of Dark Souls III. Now, to praise this would be unfair because I made it myself. But it too is informative and thorough and opposed to the other Dark Souls III LP I linked, features solo commentary. And of course it includes the DLCs.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I don't remember a lot of making GBS threads on Dark Souls II, but then again, I'm not bothered by that at all because even though I like Dark Souls II making GBS threads on it is a thing that I just kinda do whenever I'm reminded of the game.
It's amazing because it's a genuinely amazing game despite doing so many things wrong and it could have been truly great game if its development was just a bit less troubled. But I should cut it here because talking about Dark Souls should actually be forbidden outside of the dedicated threads because it never ends well.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Billzasilver posted:

hello, hello. has anyone done a good LP of hellbade: senua's sacrifice? preferably in video? maybe with more than one voice?

You must be looking for a longplay, then.

Sorry, no real recommendation, I just could not resist making that joke.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Either ask the LPer if they submitted the LP to the archives or ask baldurk if it's in his queue. LPs don't get archived unless the LPer requests it. So that's the only two ways to find out.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Aww, thanks for recommending two of my LPs on the same page of this thread, people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Artix posted:

Hey folks, with the new stickies coming down the line, we're going to be merging Requests and Recommendation. Seeing as we're due for a refresh, I feel like we should take the time to throw out some new recommendations for the "official" recommended list or whatever you want to call the list in the second post. This is not to say the current list is bad or anything, but it hasn't been updated in over four years (and a few LPs have been lost, like Kamoc's Silent Hill Homecoming LP; thanks Youtube!). The recommendations don't have to be super long or detailed, but they should quickly get across the appeal of whatever LP you're shilling for, and the format of the LP - see the current list in the second post if you need inspiration. I'll gather em up and post the new list along when the new thread goes up in a couple days. Thanks guys!

I love getting in some fresh wind. Some of the current recommendations in the op are of the "Legendary Let's Play" variety but quite a few are good things that existed at the time.

Are we gonna keep the current categorization?

quote:

Solo Commentary
Multi Commentary
Co-Op LPs
Subtitled LPs
Chill LPs
Misc. LPs / Megathreads
Informative SSLPs
Narrative SSLPs
Comedic SSLPs

Cause I'm not sure this is the best thing necessarily. For instance we got a break between Informative, Narrative and Comedic SSLPs but VLPs get more categories but kinda lack these basic ones. Instead I'd think it'd be better to kinda streamline the categories a bit and just label each LP as an SSLP, VLP, HLP, w/e LP to kinda throw them all in the same pot. I get that there's people who very strongly prefer one over the other but I don't think there's anything a good ctrl+f can't fix.

So the format could be like such.

quote:

You Have To Burn The Rope by Somus Jerkus - [VLP] [Informative] [Solo]
This LP is a great showcase exploring every secret of this cult classic flash game. The LP is from the 1930s though and the LPer says slurs a lot.
(Naturally, the Informative "Tag" or any of them could be removed if there's also a header category featuring LPs of a certain type. At this point I wasn't actually thinking anything through, just brainstorming)

And to add actual recommendations for the new OP:
Genocyber's Bloodborne LP is probably the best I've seen. It's informative and Geno's got a pretty chill vibe while showing essentially everything including the DLC.