Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Geop's Dark Souls LP (with Vicas and various other guests) was not only a great overview of the game, it was also funny, charming, and often surprisingly erudite. One of the best LPs I've watched. Plus, as Lizard Wizard reminds me, "Geop is playing the game blind, whereas his guests know what's what." Which often led to hilarious moments.

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Lizard Wizard posted:

The main 'gimmick' of the LP should be mentioned as well - Geop is playing the game blind, whereas his guests know what's what.

Good point. Added that to my post. Ta.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Fat Samurai posted:

DumbRodent has just finished the main run of Outlast.

Seconding this. Best horror game LP I've watched to date.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I've never played any of Metal Gear. I know it's a stealth game, with lots of cut-scene talking, bat-poo poo crazy plots, and a bunch of different people--all called Snake. I figure it's time to educate myself.

Looking at the Master List database, there appear to be 14 different games, in no especially obvious order for the most part. Looking at Wikipedia just hammered home how much of it there was, and how sprawling.

I could use some help here, Kojima-fans. What games should I read/watch, and in which order, to get myself somewhere up to speed?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
^^^ So, start with Metal Gear 1 and then MG: Snake's Revenge, rather than Metal Gear Solid 1? That should keep me busy for a month or two :) Thx.

VagueRant posted:

Has anyone seen a decent youtube LP of D4 yet? (The SWERY game that just came out a few days ago.) Pretty sure I will never get an Xbox One and the Giant Bomb Quicklook really made me want to see more. The game had me at strangling a guy with an oxygen mask on a plane. :allears:

Something called DSP gaming has done it, but the guy is immediately kinda shouty and annoying.

This guy here appears to be doing a commentary-free playthrough:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF4BX-A7jr4

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 22, 2014

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

slowbeef posted:

I think the Metal Gear canon order is:

Ah, that's awesome. Thank you. Point and click instructions are useful for my old, tired mind :D

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Turtlicious posted:

Have any good Video LP's ended recently? (last month or so.)

DumbRodent's superb VLP of Outlast + the Whistleblower DLC has just completed. It's the best survival horror LP I've ever come across -- really low-key, well-done voicework that allows the game's atmosphere to breathe, and absolutely no ludicrous shrieking. At times, it's tricky to remember he's an LP'er, rather than part of the game. It's great viewing.

EDIT: "so" is not "no".

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Just finished watching CannibalK9's incredible LP of The Void (or Tension, as it was known in Russia). Wow. Truly amazing experience.

The game is beautiful, strange, eerie, and wildly imaginative, and CK9 handles it all with the grace and love that it deserves. My only regret is that it had to end. I know it's one of the recommended LPs at the start of this thread, but honestly, the write-up there doesn't do it justice.

I still hope that he'll do an LP of Cargo or Knock Knock some day.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Kuvo is playing GOLF! (With Geop, Vicas and Minifoo so far.) Recommended for GOLF!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Not exactly the freshest tip, but if anyone's looking for a low-key, engaging (and completed) LP of Dark Souls 2, I recommend GulBanana's series, here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqm5b5hwPRhrz5OX9twcbIdzuTZFLRiuZ

Fun stuff.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair if it's the three pig things in the village, those are some tough motherfuckers.

Yeah, they certainly seem like bastards.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

HGH posted:

Well, there's the ones on the LP Archive that are basically hybrid LPs ... There's Persona 3 Portable (female route) and 4 by Feinne.

These were excellent. Feinne did a great job.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

kjetting posted:

One of my favorites lately in the weird category is Supergreatfriend´s LP of MODE. The game never even got a wide release, it was an FMV game with a confusing interface and game crashing bugs, but still SGF managed to showcase every possible option and every branch in the story and make the viewer see the brilliance and originality. Also, the game´s director showed up in the thread to give his insights (and some tinfoilhat rambling).
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656536

This was glorious, and surprised me a lot with how compelling and interesting MODE turned out to be, at least in SGF's hands. I highly second this recommendation!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

corn in the bible posted:

i'm genuinely loving astonished that anyone remembers my legie LP

Are you kidding? It was gloriously insane!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

my dog boyfriend!! posted:

I think the first horror VLP I ever watched was Penumbra a couple years ago and now I've been hooked since. I've run through Kamoc's streams and Voidburger's Silent Hill LPs and I'm hungry for more. I don't care if it's creeping-suspense horror or high-tension jumpy scares, subtitled or voice commentary, I love it all. Point me to your fave horror game LPs.

DumbRodent's LP of Outlast was extremely awesome. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3638962

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

chaos rhames posted:

Composerguy's started his Lord Of The Rings game again from the start. It's one of the most interesting old as gently caress rpgs around.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3719533&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Now that's good news!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Space Bat posted:

Does anyone know of a Darkest Dungeon LP where the player is good at the game?

The BaerTaffy LP is pretty good, actually. He's comparatively relaxed, has a good voice, and isn't totally incompetent.

Edit: Link

Ghostwoods fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 13, 2015

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Tollymain posted:

are there any lpers who have a fairly dry and laconic sense of humor but aren't super cynical/sarcastic

Supergreatfriend, Geop, and CannibalK9 all leapt immediately to mind but, uh, most SA LPers are pretty good.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Quite possibly the silliest question I've asked on SA, but does anyone know of a Pokemon X/Y LP that's less PewDiePie and more SuperGreatFriend/CannibalK9?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

ZeusCannon posted:

CannibalK9 did a LP of the Void a while back that is very chill. If that hasn't already been mentioned.

I'll second this. It was a truly fantastic LP. He also recently finished a playthrough of The Talos Principle, which is also chilled out and extremely interesting, as well as quite beautiful.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

CJacobs posted:

Corn Inthebible

Huh. I thought it was C Iacobs, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Le0 posted:

I started watching DeadRodent's LP of Outlast and enjoying it quite a bit (http://lparchive.org/Outlast/).
I love survival/horror stuff, are there other LPs like this?

Scruffy just finished his blind LP of The Evil Within. That was rather awesome.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729340