Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Valiantman's LP of the Civ IV mod Fall From Heaven 2 is masterful. If you like SSLPs and that type of 4x game you should read it, especially if you haven't experienced FFH before. He's nearing the end of the scenarios, and he's done a great job showing the amount of lore stuffed into a very inventive and deep remake of Civ IV. It absolutely deserves more love.

eta: and of course I forgot to link it.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Thesaya posted:

I would like to reccomend DeadRodents LP of Outlast, A horror game about a journalist investigating an asylum. It is his first LP, and as such, very impressive. His tone is reminiscent of Nigguraths approach to LPing, calm and almost soothing. However, his commentary is scarcer and he takes a more personal approach, to the game, making you feel like he is as scared and freaked out as the protagonist. But calmly.

Anyway, I could try to describe it all day, but the point is, go watch this LP.

Fat Samurai posted:

DumbRodent has just finished the main run of Outlast, and he's taking a break beore tackling the DLC. His commentary is pretty low-key and unintrusive, to the point that sometimes it seems tht is the main character commenting o the situation, rather than the LPer.

Ghostwoods posted:

Seconding this. Best horror game LP I've watched to date.

axelsoar posted:

Just finished the Outlast LP, that was really great and the best take on a horror LP I have seen. Really looking forward to him finishing the DLC.

Wanted to nth these. I pretty much never watch video LPs, simply because I don't have the time to watch a full game played through (or rather, because I tell myself I don't have the time and then spend hours reading SSLPs). But this is special. DeadRodent does such an excellent job blending his own commentary into the game, and reacting to the game, that I felt at times as if it were part of the game itself. Just a really well done, professional job. 5/5 would watch again.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 12, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Dr Scoofles posted:

These look fantastic, I'll be interested to see where GF goes with his. I forgot to mention, but I was hoping for a VLP, I work from home and often I'm making stuff with my hands but need something playing in the background to keep me sane. City builders would be great for this as they are pretty slow moving so I can keep one eye on my work without missing much.

I wanted to second both of these suggestions. The SC3K one is amazing in its own right, but GF's SC4 shows just how much work modders have put into developing additions for the game. The cities he's created are deeply, deeply impressive.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

This is an off-SA LP, but thenyanmaster is doing one of the most impressive Civilization runs I've ever seen. It's a 42 nation AI-only rumble in Civ5 using real life starting locations on the largest and most accurate Earth map. Domination is the only win condition, so the winner will have to control 41 other capitals. As of update 7 Firaxis actually contacted him about getting a copy of the savegame and I believe have since offered to help him keep the game going when his machine started crashing while trying to run turns.

It starts here. There's 15 updates thus far, taking the game through turn 350. A few countries look extremely strong, and a few are on the brink of extinction, but roughly half of the remaining 32 nations could pull off a victory if things go their way. The remaining nations are reaching the information age, and Gandhi just got nukes.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I mainly like Screenshot LPs, because I am an Old (I mean, I'm barely a millenial, I'm so old). So take my picks with that in mind.

I second the Gond LP. Short, sweet, and it knew exactly what it wanted to be. I also second TheMcD's Unterwegs in Dusterberg LP.

If you're looking for what's essentially an alternative history novel, you'll rarely go wrong with the Paradox Mega-threads. My personal favorite is probably ZerothK's Gold Rules The World LP starting in northern Germany and spreading free trade, Cthulhu, and nuclear weapons throughout the world over the course of a thousand years. Taught me to never trust a Bardewick. Paradox LPs also taught me that nothing is so certain that a bunch of goons trying to run it into the ground won't be able to break it (looking at you, Al-Andalus).

There's also a few... unique SSLPs that won't be seen elsewhere. The absolute best is Chewbots unfinished masterpiece Carmen Sandiego. Must. Die. Right up there with that is BoldFrankensteinMir's You Have 001 Goblins.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Any LPs of Tacoma with a bunch of commentary in the thread? I'm less interested in the LP itself than the discussion around the game. I just played it this past weekend and want to see what other goons thought.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's the best LP you've seen recently? Not looking for anything specific, just a general crop of what people are enjoying.

Mega64's Chrono Trigger LP is in its early stages, but really does a good job showing why it's so iconic.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

The Little Nightmares LP currently on the forum has some "Let's Explain" side videos that go into the lore a bit. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836104

The main LP isn't very lore heavy, although I think it was nicely done. The main game is finished, but it looks like the LPer has too much life stuff going on to get to the DLC anytime soon though.

So I'm not quite sure if this is what you're looking for, but it's there.

I know that the original requester said he was already going to watch it, but I wanted to add my kudos to this LP. It's exceptionally well done, and JohnOfOrdo3 does a great job giving Six more personality.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834874

Still active, but no posts in the last couple weeks.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Enchanted Hat just completed his LP of Restaurant Empire. It's the perfect type of game for an LP, fairly obscure, fairly obtuse, and pretty fuckin' weird. You wouldn't necessarily want to play the game yourself, but he does a great job guiding you through the plot. Plus, some of the restaurant designs the thread came up with are on point. The second restaurant and final restaurant are both worth seeing in their full glory. 5/5, looking forward to when EH does Restaurant Empire 2.

Also, someone needs to make people try those recipes, they're... not appetizing.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Seconding Bacter's Lone Survivor, and also recommending JohnofOrdo3's LP of Little Nightmares, which is also excellent.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Restaurant Empire by Enchanted Hat is a fairly standard "business tycoon" kind of game, that made two rather critical mistakes. First, the authors have no idea whatsoever how cooking works, leading to crepes that feature a pint of cinnamon apiece, drinks with no liquid in them, and water that costs $10/liter. Second, they made the deeply regrettable mistake of having easily-customizable assets. And then Enchanted Hat decided to leave the interior decoration decisions up to the audience.

If that leaves you wanting more, Restaurant Empire 2 features more of the same, except even moreso, as well as a plot straight out of a soap opera. Can Armand LaBoeuf get any more dickish?

Seconded to both. These are great and weird little games, and EH does a fantastic job with them. Armand Crossing the Alps still gives me the giggles, as does the "private table" in the first game's Italian Restaurant.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Lone Survivor by Bacter.

Seconded as well.

Lone Survivor is survival horror set in a world of Cronenberg body horror mixed with Lynchian mindscrew, where one of the most important things you can do is set up a self-care routine for you and your pet plant. Bacter does a great job narrating via subtitle, and commenting on questions raised by the plot and nature of the game. He also goes through the different endings after the first playthrough, letting us see what was behind all the doors and decisions the protagonist turned away from at the beginning.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You should look up the various Paradox LPs, they have a similar "turning game events into fanfic" flavor to them. Crusader Kings II is probably the best-known for that. The Papal Paradox LP is a good one to start with.

Seconded on the notion of the paradox mega-LPs in general being fairly awesome generators of fake historical fiction. I especially enjoyed Blood in the Bosphorus, by Empress Theonara, and Gold Rules the World, by ZeroethK. Both require Archives, but ongoing is Hashim's Chronicles of Al-Andalus is ongoing and the author has recently confirmed that we're going into Hearts of Iron IV as we goons in the Majlis have continued to absolutely gently caress up poor Andalusia.

Also, re: DF, if you haven't read Bravemule, you definitely should. Finest of all Dwarf Fortress LPs.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I'd only add that the first few updates of the fm14 lp are a little rough, it was my first lp and I was figuring out how to do it as I went. Once we get to October of the second season things really kick off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Nondevor posted:

I'd like to rec the Restaurant Empire and Restaurant Empire 2 SSLPs by Enchanted Hat. Some games are absolutely perfect for the LP medium (aka obscure and/or garbage to play, but hilarious to see), and I'd say these definitely count. The weird plots and the on-point interior decorating choices by the audience are great for some laughs.

Oh man, those were amazing. I loved decorating the restaurants, and it reached apotheosis with the redesign of Triez a Table in the second game:

I don't know who 'shopped Armond's head onto Napoleon Crossing the Alps, but I love them.