Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MillennialVulcan posted:

They're pretty funny when you're in the mood for it. They're very boisterous and loud. It's hard to listen to every day. I tend to just watch their monthly highlights, but admittedly at that point it's less about the LPs and more about two doofuses cracking each other up.
I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who's looking for an informative (or even complete) LP, because they tend to be rather bad at even the games they claim to "know", and they tend to play most of their games blind and quit many of them after just a few episodes. But they can be really funny sometimes, and some of their stuff is good to watch for a laugh. They're comedians making jokes over a video game, not really LPers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mega64 posted:

Speaking of which, what are some good LPs that involve characters or other creatures being hit by a bus?
Not quite a bus, but one of the summon attacks in Bravely Default is a monster train, and Greyarc's LPing that. There's also a bird-plane. And one of the monsters in Yo-Kai Watch is a cat who got hit by a car, so he trains day and night until the day he's able to punch out a car. I can't find any goon LPs, but professional translator Clyde Mandelin did an LP of the Japanese version that's up on YouTube.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 10, 2018

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MythosDragon posted:

2 things.

1. Is the Archive okay? I see plenty of finished LPs not on it. Figured this is the best place to ask.

2. Any good RPG/Story-focused SSLPs in the past year?
I'm going to recommend Epicmissingno's LP of Dragon Quest IX (one of my personal favorite DQs), Corn in the bible's LP of Unlimited SaGa, and Crosspiece's LP of Pokemon Conquest. Also, it's not an RPG, but Xander77's LP of Aviary Attorney is very story-focused and a good read.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Getsuya posted:

I’m all caught up on Pokemon Reborn and I need another train wreck to read. I tried Major/Minor but there was just so much text. I’ve also read Pokemon Uranium. Please point me to other good LPs where people play horrible games for our entertainment.

Horrible JRPGs or RPGmaker games are preferred.
There's Mega64's LP of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest Remastered, which is some goober's RPG Maker "remake" of Mystic Quest. I think it's completed (I stopped reading it midway through due to not having played MQ in forever and having forgotten most of the plot points), and the parts I read were real fun. It's not nearly as bad as Reborn (because gently caress Reborn), but it's more like Grade-B sci-fi bad, so the game is more enjoyable on its own.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

StrixNebulosa posted:

I need a good screenshot LP to kick back with, as I'm out of Pokemon Reborn and Vampires Dawn, and I'm looking at the Fire Emblem LPs, but... oh boy. There are 32958837 of them. Where should I start? I'm interested in both the main games and the ridiculous romhacks.

You could start at the beginning, with LordHippoman's LP of Shadow Dragon for DS, which is a remake of the first game in the series. It's a good LP that I just recently finished reading myself. There is one problem though; LordHippoman had previously done an LP of Heroes of Light and Shadow (a DS remake of Shadow Dragon's direct sequel), and the Shadow Dragon LP does occasionally reference that LP. It's nothing to heavy-handed, but I could see it being offputting. Another optionis to go straight to the source for the NES original, but honestly that version is super bare-bones so I'd only recommend it if you can't go for the DS version. Shadow Dragon is probably better known as "the one with Marth in it".

You could also read the LPs in the most likely order anyone who didn't live in Japan played the games; starting with Blazing Sword, the game released outside Japan as simply "Fire Emblem" on the GBA. I can't personally recommend an LP because I'd still prefer to beat that one myself, but both Artix and Melth have done LPs of it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Mega64 posted:

Excited for the next Chocobo Mysterious Dungeon narrative LP.
Especially since it was announced for Switch in the latest Direct, IIRC.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Thirding Nat20; he and Tea have also done some Mega Man LPs and a blind Symphony of the Night run which are good.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

anilEhilated posted:

I've really enjoyed the blind LP of Symphony of the Night by Natural20; are there any other reasonably recent good LPs with the same dynamic of a blind run helped out by a knowledgeable co-commentator? I've seen the classic Metroid Primes and Dark Souls, could use something from the recent months.
FaerieFortune has done blind LPs of both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask with knowledgeable co-commentators.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Disappointing Pie posted:

Hey these guys aren’t too bad!

What’s people’s thoughts on the Game Grumps? They seem to have thousands of videos to watch and the couple I watched weren’t awful.
My opinion is that they aren't actually in the LP business; they're comedians who use a game as a backdrop for an improv routine. Which is absolutely fine if that's what you're looking for; a bunch of their stuff is genuinely funny. What separates them from other comedic LPers is that their comedy rarely has to do with the game they're playing.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm looking for a specific screenshot LP where the author kept track of the game's various dick moves. I know it's on the archive, but there are a lot of LPs on the archive. It's not Xenogears.

This is kind of a longshot, but hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.
Could it be Lizard Wizard's Oblivion LP? He kept a "counter" of the game's fuckups through the course of the LP, but it kinda ended up looking like some extremely strange algebra equation.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

RareAcumen posted:

What exactly do you mean by all mask playthrough?
Probably "gets every mask".

Just for the sheer off-the-wall craziness of them, I'm going to recommend Doctor Kill's LPs. In case you're not a fan of glitch runs or randomizers, there's also ThornBrain's LP, which is a more standard LP (although it's a 100% run) and mixes informative commentary with general silliness, and he and his co-commentators seem to strike a good balance IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm going to toss in recommendations for Chewbot's Animal Crossing LP, Chokes McGee's LPs of Final Fantasy Legend and its sequel, Didja Redo's LP of Avalon Code, and Schildkrote's LP of Persona 3 as examples of LPs that add a lot of narrative to their games, even sometimes changing the genre or narrative framing of the plot; the P3 LP frames the game in the format of a blog/livejournal maintained by the protagonist, and the Animal Crossing LP writes a horror story using the framework of a game about decorating your house.