Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
Any recommendations for 'informative' and completionist video LP's of Metroidvanias? Smite/Smight's LP of Environmental Station Alpha is a great example of the kind of thing I'm after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

I've been invited to contribute to a special issue of a philosophy journal looking at the aesthetics of things that don't usually get discussed. Since I love them (and because there hasn't been much literature talking about them) I thought I'd write about the aesthetics of let's plays. Specifically, I'm going to try and address the question of whether let's plays offer novel 'aesethetic possibilities' - i.e., interesting aesthetic experiences that other mediums aren't able to deliver.

With that in mind, could anyone recommend to me those let's plays that are 'definitive' of lp-genres, as well as those that are particularly aesthetically interesting/ground-breaking? I've got a bevy of examples already, but I'd be really curious to see what people come up with.

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Boatmurdered and similar succession forts could probably support an article by themselves. The successive passing of control of an otherwise single player and largely inscrutable game, overlaid with the writer's narrative is certainly unique.

Oh, I forgot about the DF succession lps! Those are brillliant, and nicely make one of the points I wanted to get across.

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Dark Id's LP of Drakengard basically rewrote/wrote the game so it was even more touching/hilarious and I don't think you can do that with any other medium. Also it's a classic in its own right.

Yeah, I was going to mention The Dark Id being the 'Ambassator to the West' for Nier/Drakengard. He's also stopped making LPs now, right?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

TIE Fighter and Quovak's LPs (especially Gazillionnaire Deluxe) are important in the realm of screenshot LPs.

Great, thanks for pointing these out!

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

Commander Keene posted:

I'm going to toss in recommendations for Chewbot's Animal Crossing LP, Chokes McGee's LPs of Final Fantasy Legend and its sequel, Didja Redo's LP of Avalon Code, and Schildkrote's LP of Persona 3 as examples of LPs that add a lot of narrative to their games, even sometimes changing the genre or narrative framing of the plot; the P3 LP frames the game in the format of a blog/livejournal maintained by the protagonist, and the Animal Crossing LP writes a horror story using the framework of a game about decorating your house.

The Animal Crossing LP is likely the example I will open with, as it is utterly brilliant and perfectly encapsulates the idea of using a game-playing to create something new. (The only thing better was the sadly incomplete Carmen Sandiego game that (I think) Chewbot briefly ran.) And I mostly remember the first FFL LP for 'the saw is family', so I'll have to go back and look at those again.