Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Gushing Granny posted:

Can anyone recommend me some good Minecraft Let's Plays? I watch LPs for soothing background ambiance usually while I do internet things, so Minecraft seems like a good idea. I'd prefer with commentary from someone who isn't completely annoying to listen to.

I really enjoyed Unfair's LP although it's pretty brief. It's basically a whistle-stop tour of the cool things a small group did on returning to Minecraft as they worked towards 'beating' it. Unfair's delivery would certainly be in the soothing end of things though.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Unfair's minecraft videos are a nice low octane fly through of Minecraft circa 2013, but may be too archaic for your son (where's the diorite dad :rolleyes:).

http://lparchive.org/Minecraft/

He's not one for the swears although I do vaguely recall him coming in here and saying that wasn't a cast iron guarantee so may want to check the vids out first (there's only 8 of them).

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I assume the guy being talked about is Stampy Longnose who is basically Youtube Jesus to kids the world over.

If you want a different English guy to annoy you there's Dan TDM or if you want an American guy to annoy you there's Thinknoodles (warning, contains Despicable Me's Minions in vast quantities). Both know their audiences are children and act appropriately.

But in a world of recommended videos, this info is a bit like triumphantly presenting some ancient dusty scroll containing a pickaxe recipe.

All these guys are amazingly addictive to children and it just spreads by word of mouth. My niece knew precious little about Youtube or Minecraft until her cousin showed her a Stampy video and now she just ploughs through a couple of hours of videos every day.

Totally unlike us in this forum.

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 20, 2015

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

There was a good LP of XCOM: The Bureau not too long ago that had one of the QA guys on board for most of the time. You might be aware of the fairly tortuous development that game had so it was interesting to hear just how much things changed and what assets survived the various revisions. Also turns out it's pretty good game and the story goes a few interesting places too, just doesn't have anything to do with XCOM.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on the master list or the LP Archive and I can't remember the guys name, so this is not an informative post.

(someone make up for my ignorance please)

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Niggurath posted:

I think he knew about the Bureau LP cause he mentioned it specifically.

Turns out no one will be able to make up for my ignorance.

Moving swiftly on, someone should link it anyway (maybe the original poster, for extra points) because it's a shame it's not on the archive.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

RainTree posted:

Can anyone recommend a good blind LP? I don't care so much about genre or style, but I'd like to see how different people approach showing off a game blind.

Alright let's see if I can redeem my earlier faux pas. If you haven't seen it, definitely check out Geops Dark Souls LP where he's the one going in blind but he's nudged along by very knowledgable co-commentators. It means you get to see pretty much everything the game has to offer while still getting a pretty geniune first time reaction:
http://lparchive.org/Dark-Souls/.

Then right now there's an ongoing semi blind run of The Evil Within by dscruffy1. It should have been fully blind but technical issues has meant having to rerecord some chapters. It's a good LP of an unnerving game though and when it is blind he reacts as a normal person would to an action-horror game and not some screaming Youtube banshee:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3729340

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

The above is a good suggestion, as with the archived OP that link is generally not in the same field of view as the links. Also possibly change it to a quick blunt message in a larger font like "Links Dead? Find them on the Internet Archive!".

Alternate solution: Not get upset by it coming up once every 10 pages.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

Neruz's Total Annihilation series? Mind you, I have no idea how they look to someone who hasn't actually played these games but it's a pretty goddamn heroic undertaking either way.

While I've played TA, I've not played Kingdoms or SupCom and I can confirm these are great LP's. The former because Neruz's descent in to the madness/frustration of that game is like a modern day Apocalypse Now and the latter because you like big robots and the spaceships that crush them don't you? :crossarms:

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Trick Question posted:

I haven't watched it myself because I kind of want to experience it first-hand someday, but SGF did one and he usually plays it pretty straight.

Seconding this. I really enjoyed it although he's increasingly blasé about the experience as the game goes on, so a lot of the games creepiness goes right out the window.

Also it is blind and you will notice things he doesn't.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Fleve's LP of Call of Juarez Gunslinger from a few years back is good providing you like your LPer's voice on the Captain Jean Luc Picard scale of things.
https://lparchive.org/Call-of-Juarez-Gunslinger/

(As an aside I hope he's alright, he disappeared during his Marlow Briggs LP and doesn't appear to have uploaded anything since.)

And in case you're not already following alexeythegreat's LPs, his recent LP of Doom 2016 is good stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH3d-4HVlVU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

His Horizon: Zero Dawn was enjoyable I thought, helped by the fact he worked on the official guide for it so had a few interesting insights and was able to break the hardest difficulty over his knee. I almost bounced straight off his LP manner though.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

This is a dumb request but seeing CannibalK9 and Neruz mentioned on the same page... can anyone recommend any Very Good active British LPers? Not to get all Brexit up in here but it's nice sometimes to hear people with nearby accents talk about vidya games.

Right now I guess I'm aware of Fae, Fedule and Your Evil Twin who are all really excellent but nostalgia has mooshed together 10 years of retired LPers such as the two above with helloitsdan, Giragast and Captain Jean-Luc Picard Fleve and is lying to me that I should be aware of more.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Excellent, many thanks for all the recommendations! I didn't need all that productivity anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

For Sekiro you could try the on-going Jeff and David LP. Jeff is very good at understanding game mechanics and is running a second playlist with detailed boss guides. They're a long way off finishing though.

But yes fingers crossed for the inevitably great CJacobs LP.