Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'll throw out a recommendation for Agent355's VLP of La-Mulana, a Metroidvania with heavy emphasis on puzzle-solving.

Most people who beat that game ended up referring to a walkthrough for a large percent of it, because La-Mulana Is Not Your Friend. This mostly ends up with the player asking "okay what did that actually do and why the hell did I just sleep under a mural of a woman's naughty bits while carrying an impregnated statue :psyduck:" (this really happens).

Agent shows the game played by someone who (mostly) refuses to resort to a walkthrough, showing how the puzzles in the game are ultimately solvable, mostly with the hints the game provides, with the odd bit of trial/error (and one or two instances of total bullshit). Co-commentator Yapo rides along to call Bullshit on the puzzles and relentlessly mock Agent's gaming and editing skills. Olesh is also showing the game played rather more skillfully and in hard mode, where the Hate goes up to the proverbial 11.

Also, Chakrams. :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SWMadness posted:

MeccaPrime has done several of the handheld Legend of Zelda games, and personally my favorite one has always been the glitched-to-hell-and-back Link's Awakening run where he tackles all the dungeons in reverse order, all while providing dead serious commentary in the midst of garbled sprites and dungeon keys raining from the heavens. Probably rivals the Dangan Ronpa LP for "most number of new avatars created and bought" during the thread's run.

One of my old epilepsy-inducing avatars came from that LP. Well, that and MeccaPrime's reverence for shinesparking :v:

shinesquawk

Hey speaking of shinesparking and nice logical segues, maybe his Metroid Fusion LP deserves a look!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone given any playtime to Frozen Synapse? I can't really look around for one at work, but that game piqued my interest this morning as a game to watch (because I love watching tactics/strategy games play out but am loving rubbish at actually playing them).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Since Chokes McGee started an FFL2 LP recently, I'd like to recommend the first one: The Saw is Family - Let's Play The Final Fantasy Legend! Chokes takes the spartan and iffy translation of the game and extends it to A) make some sort of twisted sense out of the story and B) be pretty amusing about it.

Also fanart.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 12, 2014

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've been looking to play Endless Legend, but I am generally incredibly bad at 4Xes. The only LP I've seen of it is by the Yogscast, who are probably more having fun with it than actually being any good.

Anyone know of any good on or offsite LPs of the game, especially with an ear toward novice advice?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone on or offsite had a bash at the X3 series of games? I'm on a space kick lately, with Elite: Dangerous and all, and want to see another viewpoint on the sort of genre.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nah I'd say the more important point is when it actually completely worked.

Mercs 2 is a special, wonderful, terrible game :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SWMadness posted:

Holy poo poo how did I miss another King of Dragon Pass LP thread. I absolutely loved the previous ones here on the subforum and in the archives, gonna spend tomorrow catching up with this one. :dance:

Make sure to read the first one linked in that OP, also by Infinitum. If nothing else it lends context :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That's a very :smith: kind of picture, whatever the context

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Acne Rain posted:

I should've made it clearer that I've seen a La Mulana LP (Highwang's) and have watched the Void, these were examples.

I'd recommend listening to / watching Agent355's LP of La Mulana anyway, he and his co-commentators (mainly Yappo) have good rapport and Olesh's hardmode run (and blind HELL TEMPLE stream :getin:) is interesting for just how much better he is at video games :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Olesh posted:

Think of it as more of a bonus stream than anything else. I made a special effort to avoid spoiling myself on anything related to Hell Temple for that video, although I was at least tangentially aware that it was bullshit walking in. I'm not super proud of how it worked out, all told, (especially the fact that I didn't end up beating Hell Temple) but if you haven't seen Hell Temple before you get to experience it right alongside me.

On the other hand, don't watch a four hour stream of Hell Temple what is wrong with you.

It was a fun stream and frankly I think it's laudable that you did as well as you did. That zone is complete unmitigated horseshit. :v: