Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

In terms of two person commentary I suggest checking out Nine Gear Crow and Blind Sally playing Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. Really high effort, great commentator chemistry and the guys know what they are doing more than I did when the game came out.

Also worth checking out: War for Cybertron by Coolguye and LastRoboKy and their rotating third person. Co-op and co-commentary with a bit of amazing glitch moments and weirdness run by two really entertaining LPers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I have no idea how I missed this thread until recently, but Interrupter Jones' Army Men: Sarge's Heroes thread is really worth following. He's got rotating guests and the commentary is universally good. If you are at all interested in seeing how PS1 era games handled 3rd person shooting in wide open environments it's a great case study as well.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

AMReese posted:

Does anyone know of a good 100% complete playthrough of Metroid Prime Trilogy I could watch? I want to view it with as much quality as possible with the additions the Trilogy gave it. I would really prefer it to be done without commentary, since it seems to ruin the atmosphere for me when people talk over it.

The only LP on the forums is from Blackbelt Bobman from 2008, and all of the videos are dead. I tried looking on YouTube, but quality was either lacking (one just had a camera pointed at an angle towards the screen), there was way-too-loud commentary ( Deceased Crab levels of awful), it was not a 100% complete run, or was in another language.

I would appreciate it if anyone would help me on this matter.

I went looking for a second, I only found a Speedrun of the trilogy from a guy recording his TV with a camcorder. If you can't find a straight up LP of a game sometimes you can get a speedrun somewhere if you don't mind minimal or no commentary.

BlackbeltBobman's LPs of the Metroid Prime games were very much products of the time they were made, by the way. The video and audio weren't great, he had a paper list of items he kept beside him that he would pause and scratch things off of as he picked them up, people would come in his room and he'd have conversations with them and not edit out any of it. I don't know if it would be much better than what you can find on YouTube now.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Seeing Lowtax's thread stickied made me wonder what the possibility of maybe doing something like stickying highly recommended running threads for a week at a time. I have no idea how you would really make the call on what should or shouldn't be up for consideration, but it could help boost visibility for a good thread or two that posters are overlooking.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

IGgy IGsen posted:

I thought the point was less to put LPs that are already popular into the spotlight, but more to show the more overlooked but still great LPs you can find occasionally.
So maybe exclude threads that have gone gold? Or have a visible rating? (Dunno how many votes it takes for one to appear)

That was sort of the idea. I know that this is a recommendations thread, but I think a lot of the posts here are of people suggesting LPs to people who have already asked for something specific, like the "humorous screenshot LP" request Kurtofan made that got responses.

Posters here do suggest a pretty good run of LPs to watch, either on their own or as a response to requests. I don't know how well thought out the idea was when I posted it, but basically I was wondering if there was a way to give visibility to a thread that was producing good content but not getting a lot of attention. Looking back it seems like the idea of a weekly sticky and the process behind getting it set up could be a solution to a problem that doesn't exist as this is already a recommendations thread.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Blind Sally posted:

I will make nine-gear crow do a blind LP of it when we finish the Killzone trilogy.

Dark Souls 32 is going to be out by then, so it may be difficult to find working hardware and a copy of DS1.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

KalonZombie has done like half the games in the series at this point if not more.

Here's the first game in the series on the archive. Kalon and Ape are great together and the fact that the LPs are 100% runs never really drags down the videos.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

kalonZombie posted:

Please remember that as you're watching these, Tools of Destruction is my first LP ever and I basically had no idea what I was doing. It's pretty rough around the edges, ESPECIALLY in the first few videos.

That's not super uncommon, especially considering that first one was what, three or so years ago now? Maybe four? In that time the expectations of quality have really shot up, for the better, of course. I also think a ton of first time LPs are really rough no matter when they were recorded just because the first time you try to do something like this there are a ton of pitfalls.

I actually thought of re-doing the Call of Duty: Black Ops LP I did here because it has that feeling of "roughness" to the point where I can't really understand why I wasn't run out of the subforum when I posted the videos.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ScurvyKip's Xenosaga LP is some 39 videos of a long, sprawling JRPG that would be incredibly boring if he and his guests weren't there to point out stupid lines and bad plot points.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Combat Lobster's Volgarr the Viking LP should really have more attention. Combat Lobster is putting out fun, informative videos that are pretty much perfect if you have 10-15 minutes to kill and want to watch something quick and entertaining.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Kai Tave posted:

Giragast's LP of Cold Fear is in a similar vein. It doesn't really go into a ton of detail about the history and production that I recall (it's been a while since I watched it however) but he breaks down the level design and gameplay elements in exhaustive detail, illustrating level layouts and setpiece triggers using debugging modes and wireframe views and generally doing way more to show off how the game is made than you see in most LPs, and the overall LP itself is well done to boot.

I'll never stop promoting that LP. It's really well done on every level and seeing the way the game comes together in terms of models and scripting and wireframes is way more entertaining than it has a right to be.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Gatz just finished the first of the Dog of Dracula games and it's the weirdest thing I've seen in a while and concerns a groomer of the undead trying to right wrongs in a sauceless world. It's just that kind of game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If you guys ever wondered what killed off the Prince of Persia series (besides Assassin's Creed blowing the gently caress up) Nine Gear Crow, Blind Sally and friends are going through the last major release in the franchise and it's a really good watch.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Blind Sally posted:

Actually, he persevered through the Kairo LP, despite no one really watching it.

It looks like until a couple months ago he was continuing on without any viewers. I remember a while back after his exit from the forums he showed up in the offsite LP thread and started claiming his subscriber numbers and views only got better after he stopped having to try and please the forums, a quick check of his page reveals that to be false as the vast majority of his NES era Mario and Zelda videos have views in the double digits. He was also running a ton of giveaways and contests in the videos to draw in views and likes and such at that point, so he was basically doing the exact things you would expect of someone desperately trying to grow their channel.

I'll always remember Valkhorn as the guy who LP'd Symphony of the Night but struggled to get the thread past seven pages despite it being a well loved game that would normally generate a ton of discussion in the thread. Valkhorn's videos were so bland that people couldn't even be bothered to tell him in which ways he was playing the game wrong.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Gildiss posted:

I did use my 60gb PS3 and the first three parts each had separate issues that seriously jacked up he quality but were finally resolved by the 4th. :sweatdrop:

My little laptop did its best.

Don't feel too bad, that game didn't look great on either console, so putting it on YouTube was only going to make it look kind of bad even at high quality. I remember taking a video of it at pretty high quality and it looking like a PS2 game once it was on YouTube.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Coolguye posted:

the reality of the situation is that SA is fantastic for cutting your teeth and learning what to do and not do, but ultimately one of two things happen:

1) you do not stick with the hobby
2) you do, and it slowly starts building a community around your work. SA is really, REALLY not the place to handle a growing community, so you are all but forced to abandon the place for tools that work better.

i don't intend to ever STOP posting our stuff on SA, but the writing has been on the wall for a few years now that me and roboky will have to figure out our own site and platform - at which point, SA will be a second thought for us. the main reason it hasn't happened yet is because i'm so preoccupied with my business that after a long day of work i simply don't have the mental energy left to create a site design and go about implementing all the parts we'll need to do what we want to do.

SA is also great if you intend to have a lot of direct interaction with the people watching. The thing I'm planning after my current LP will rely on that quite a bit.

By the way, the Prey LP was a delight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Funny that Crow and Sally were recommending my LPs when my first thought was them playing pretty much everything in the Killzone franchise as it was one of the series I never ended up playing myself and so was a pretty interesting experience for me.

Alexeythegreat is doing Quake 4 right now and while he's only a few episodes in he's off to a solid start and plans on hitting Doom 3 and the OG Prey as a sort of theme trilogy (disappointing id engine games). Quake 4 itself is fun to watch because of when it came out. You can see some of the old shooter conventions dying with the game and some new ones starting to rise up in their place if you watch carefully.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Seconding. I can't be arsed to play the campaigns in Call of Duty but Lazy has me covered!

I'm never going to cover WWII because I didn't buy it. I really need to find time to turn on my PS4 and play IW with the crew again.