Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

bathroomrage posted:

Well I did learn recently that you can parry non-humanoid or 'unparryable' enemies, but all it does is cause you to take no damage or stagger from the attack. It doesn't stun the enemy or set them up for a riposte, unfortunately. :eng101:
So... you block them? :confused:

bodz5150 posted:

**Big Boss image removed**
METAL GEAR?! :ocelot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Dooky Dingo posted:

A partial parry cuts the damage to something like 30%, which isn't horrible but also isn't always negligible, and doesn't damage your poise, so you only lose as much stamina as it takes to do the parry. Blocking reduces damage according strictly to your shield's stats, and you lose stamina based on the stability. If you run out of stamina blocking the attack, you stagger, but you'll never stagger from a partial parry. The way I play, if a partial parry is ever better than a block, it means you need to improve your shield and level up your endurance.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

I'm still not quite seeing what purpose that would serve other than...

Nidoking posted:

you need to improve your shield and level up your endurance.
Well, why didn't you just SAY so? :rolleyes:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Dooky Dingo posted:

For the most part it's just a fancy super-block. Mostly useless since by the time you have the frame-perfect timing to pull it off you probably have the timing and knowledge to, you know, actually dodge the attack or catch it on a shield.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I was so sad when I found out that you couldn't get that sweet mace from the Tower Knights. "Yes! He dropped a weapon! Now I can-wait, this is a greatsword. You were using a mace :argh:" (Yes I know some off them use a greatsword) I got 30 Giant Halberds though, what a cruel world.

In what I've played so far of the sequel, this has turned up again with the sweet black iron (like, a rectangle brick of it on a pole) hammer these green hulk dudes have not being something you can get. I got an awesome anvil on a stick later from a different enemy, along with a lovely greatshield. But it wasn't the hammer I wanted :qq:

EDIT: Since there's no spoiler policy in effect, anybody else have a particular weapon you saw an enemy using, that turned out to not exist for player use? ...Wait, is there even anything like that in this game aside from that Mace? The only other thing I can think of is a particular shield I wanted, but those jerks dropped Large Leather Shields instead.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 21, 2014

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy
I rather like the chapter theme going on in the last video. Now that we've seen goregyles are there going to be slykicks as well?

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Dooky Dingo posted:

I'm still not quite seeing what purpose that would serve other than...

You suffer no knockback and it's faster than a roll, so you can partial parry through attacks and immediately begin attacking, no waitingto finish the roll/get back into position after the roll or whatever.

Also it looks hecka cool.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Hey folks, sorry about the delay, buuuuuttttttt...
:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Chapter 4: The Horniest Butterfly

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

I'm really liking those little popups pointing out various things during the video. They're a nice touch!

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Well, when we first started doing these videos, I had a tendency to really sperg out on a lot of stuff and try to point it all out.
Honestly, that was really dull and boring, so we skipped it, but Kreslev was still walking away from the game not knowing anything.
This was the best of both worlds! :peanut:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Section Z posted:

EDIT: Since there's no spoiler policy in effect, anybody else have a particular weapon you saw an enemy using, that turned out to not exist for player use? ...Wait, is there even anything like that in this game aside from that Mace? The only other thing I can think of is a particular shield I wanted, but those jerks dropped Large Leather Shields instead.

One of the biggest things that always irked me about the weapons in this game is that there are tons of weapons lying around blacksmiths that they don't sell.
For example, go look around Andre. There is a Baldur side sword lying RIGHT THERE. But he won't sell it to you! :bang:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dooky Dingo posted:

One of the biggest things that always irked me about the weapons in this game is that there are tons of weapons lying around blacksmiths that they don't sell.
For example, go look around Andre. There is a Baldur side sword lying RIGHT THERE. But he won't sell it to you! :bang:

I suppose prior job experience has numbed me to the concept of "That's a display model" :v: Now I can't unsee it :argh:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Section Z posted:

I suppose prior job experience has numbed me to the concept of "That's a display model" :v: Now I can't unsee it :argh:

The absolute WORST part of this is that the system is so ingrained in Smushy that even if he were to viciously murder interrogate Andre, HE STILL WOULDN'T TAKE THE SWORD. :cripes:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Dooky Dingo posted:

The absolute WORST part of this is that the system is so ingrained in Smushy that even if he were to viciously murder interrogate Andre, HE STILL WOULDN'T TAKE THE SWORD. :cripes:

Andre and consumer culture would still get the last laugh as Smushy tries to progress with his dinky +5 sword after that

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Raenir K. Artemi posted:

Andre and consumer culture would still get the last laugh as Smushy tries to progress with his dinky +5 sword after that
The free market will provide another blacksmith, sir. :colbert:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Episode 5: A most capricious demon

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Episode 6: A metaphor for girly bits

On an unrelated note, this will be the second update without any kind of thread activity.
Anyone still out there? :tinfoil:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dooky Dingo posted:

Episode 6: A metaphor for girly bits

On an unrelated note, this will be the second update without any kind of thread activity.
Anyone still out there? :tinfoil:

The last update got eaten by the crowd of the rest of my favorites it seems. Thank you for loving up the Capra demon, always good to see that. The camera (and those loving TREES) were my biggest enemy when I fought that guy, next to DOGS. I'll see what latest mysteries Smushy solves in the new one later tonight.

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008
Oh, Solaire. I tried summoning him during the Gaping Dragon fight, and man. Dude's just useless in there. And his presence makes the boss stronger!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I'm bookmarking videos and waiting until I manage to finish the game before I let someone tell me how to finish the game. Then I'll make a series of video tutorials for people who don't have enough skill to do whatever it is you're doing in your videos.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I was afraid you'd make fun of me again because I brought up partial parrying even though I don't like it. :ohdear:

No but for real I've just had nothing constructive to say or add, love your videos though! Especially the chemistry and comradery you three have going between you.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Man, that was one weird looking boss :stare:

Seriously, the enemy design in this game is amazingly creepy at times.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I was watching through Geop's LP and didn't think to come back to comment between last update and this one.

I think I can't watch enough Dark Souls LP's, it's always something interesting to see, hear and learn about the game, and not necessarily all about lore either.

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
Speaking of, if anyone wants to see the giant rat in action, Geop took it on at ground level.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Seriously, the enemy design in this game is amazingly creepy at times.

Not just the "enemies", but really all of the art direction in the game is fantastic.
Even the little details, like Lautrec being called "The Embraced" and his armor has a pair of arms wrapped around him to show the favor of his deity, it's all just SO GOOD.
However, You won't get very long to look at his armor as he falls off a cliff. :vd:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

PRL412 posted:

Speaking of, if anyone wants to see the giant rat in action, Geop took it on at ground level.

I like blind DS LP's but the constant audio issues in that one made me stop watching....

Dooky Dingo posted:

However, You won't get very long to look at his armor as he falls off a cliff. :vd:

I've never not done that ever since he killed the fire keeper in my first run. How does his quest end?

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

The Door Frame posted:

I've never not done that ever since he killed the fire keeper in my first run. How does his quest end?

Without flooding this thread with spoilers, here's a link with spoilers in it: This wiki page reveals all. The Quest Line section lays it all out.

Once again, I'm pretty sure Geop did the whole quest.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Lautrec is actually an interesting character for Dark Souls because he is one of the few that you are given MULTIPLE opportunities to murderinterrogate.
Obviously, the game has recurring characters and you could, conceivably, kill any of them at any point, but Lautrec really feels like the only one that the game is just going "...come on... DO IT..."
Also, Petrus. :v:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Bad news, kids.
Multiplayer is officially dead. :smithicide:

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Bad news, kids.

L4D2 multiplayer is dead? Sorry if I'm stupid about what this refers to.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Grizzled beagles posted:

Gaping dragon chat

You know, sharks can't see while they're trying to bite. They cover their eyes with a special membrane, so that bits of bone and viscera or a wildly thrashing fish won't blind them. I think the gaping dragon would do fine.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

Bad news, kids.

Wait what? Did GFWL go down?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

bodz5150 posted:

L4D2 multiplayer is dead? Sorry if I'm stupid about what this refers to.
Dark Souls Multiplayer, i.e. actual players invading your world, has gone away because GFWL died and they hosted the servers.
On the bright side, this means that Jotsam will constantly be human now and so we will get to see all of the special NPC summons. HOORAY. :geno:

Black Wombat posted:

Sharks, sharks, sharks.
I know! Besides, what about things like Venus fly traps? They don't even HAVE eyes and they still catch poo poo all the TIME. The gaping dragon could just stand still, cocked back like a boss and the moment he hears bambi down there loving around with leaves and sticks, WHAMMO. Dead deer. :yum:
You know, for people who quote Jurassic Park all the time, they really don't seem to understand that life... finds a way....

Mordaedil posted:

Wait what? Did GFWL go down?
You got it. Unless someone fires up some retro servers (I'm looking at YOU, Gabe-sama), Dark Souls multi has gone the way of the Dodo.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Kill all NPCs.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Booties posted:

Kill INTERROGATE all NPCs.
Fixed that for you, you cretin. :wotwot:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dooky Dingo posted:

You got it. Unless someone fires up some retro servers (I'm looking at YOU, Gabe-sama), Dark Souls multi has gone the way of the Dodo.

It seems to work from here, I can see both player messages and summon other players. Are you sure you're not just too high level for the area?

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Microsoft announced they were going to keep GFWL in stasis so that games like Dark Souls didn't lose their multiplayer and I've not seen anything to contradict that.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

See, this is why I don't listen to Jotsam when he tells me things. :argh:
On the flip side, I'm not going to tell him he's wrong so that he will eventually get randomly invaded. :devil:

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

Dooky Dingo posted:

See, this is why I don't listen to Jotsam when he tells me things. :argh:
On the flip side, I'm not going to tell him he's wrong so that he will eventually get randomly invaded. :devil:

See, this is why I like Grizzled Beagle LPs. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

It's also possible (no reliable source, so grain of salt and all that) that on pc, steam would take over from GFWL. Dark souls has done pretty well on steam so it's not that unlikely.

• Locked thread