Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!

double nine posted:

It's also possible (no reliable source, so grain of salt and all that) that on pc, steam would take over from GFWL. Dark souls has done pretty well on steam so it's not that unlikely.
That would definitely make the most sense and has the highest likelihood of happening. They are really the only people with the available resources to do something like that out of the kindness of their own hearts. (and to drive up potential buyers. No one wants to buy a broken game, :dice:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dooky Dingo posted:

That would definitely make the most sense and has the highest likelihood of happening. They are really the only people with the available resources to do something like that out of the kindness of their own hearts. (and to drive up potential buyers. No one wants to buy a broken game, :dice:)

Lets not make valve holier than they are. They'd do it because it drives customers to their service platform, and keeps them invested in steam. Valve does things because they see money in it. That's not a condemnation on my part, but let's also not paint this picture of valve as a philanthropic organisation.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

double nine posted:

Lets not make valve holier than they are. They'd do it because it drives customers to their service platform, and keeps them invested in steam. Valve does things because they see money in it. That's not a condemnation on my part, but let's also not paint this picture of valve as a philanthropic organisation.

Am I saying that ~Gabe-Sama~ is an angel and deserves to have a chorus constantly sung of his praises? Not quite.
However, in an industry that has, time and time again, refused to innovate or step out of line, Valve has consistently chosen to be leaders in technology and software development. They pretty much pioneered the new "Free2Play, buy our poo poo!" game model that EVERYONE is using (you can make judgment values on your own there), and some of the games that have been produced on his watch have defined generations.
To that end, he is still a pompous, arrogant fat man who literally believes that PC gamers are the ultimate shining beacon for all gamers and that consolers are scrubs.
Also, he ate all my drat cheetos again and he won't get off my couch. <:(>

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

Dooky Dingo posted:

Dark Souls Multiplayer, i.e. actual players invading your world, has gone away because GFWL died and they hosted the servers.
On the bright side, this means that Jotsam will constantly be human now and so we will get to see all of the special NPC summons. HOORAY. :geno:

Ah, I see. I thought GFWL died a long time ago. Being someone who only gets PC games on GOG and Steam, I had no idea Dark Souls relied on GFWL. I also have only played Dark Souls on 360, so there's the reason for me being ignorant.
I'm loving your videos (L4D2 also!)so far, keep up the great work guys!

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Alright, so, apparently Jotsam can't see any blood stains, message signs, phantoms, etc... in ANY area.
He's checked his settings, he's connected to the internet, literally nothing has changed except he got a new graphics card.
He even verified steam files.
I have no idea what's going on, guys. Any tips?

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I haven't the faintest idea, he might just be REALLY unlucky. I just checked and I'm able to see player messages and bloodstains across all areas, but they're really few and far between.

Maybe try DSCfix? :shrug:

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008

Dooky Dingo posted:

Alright, so, apparently Jotsam can't see any blood stains, message signs, phantoms, etc... in ANY area.
He's checked his settings, he's connected to the internet, literally nothing has changed except he got a new graphics card.
He even verified steam files.
I have no idea what's going on, guys. Any tips?

I've been playing the PC version all week, and I've noticed EVERYTHING network-based seems to be less common than normal lately. Summon signs are (rarely) popping up, but they almost always fail.

Might just be an issue with the PC servers. It might need a patch.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It's kind of a shame, given that one of the greatest things about the Souls series was taking this lovely, intricate, careful fighting system...and running it through the ringer of netcode and watching a random taunting, teleporting, goofy-rear end slapfight break out the likes of which would make Space Station 13 blush.

Also, belatedly, he hasn't made as many public appearances lately, but my understanding is that Gabe was getting swole as gently caress. I guess working steel as a hobby will do that for you.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Few days ago I could see messages and summon signs, but none of the summon signs actually would work. They would time out or something.

I know it's not my connection as I everything works properly on Dark Souls 2.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I got invaded yesterday by an rear end in a top hat with queelaag's furysword and a bunch of toxin weapons so that's still annoyingly active.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

bathroomrage posted:

Maybe try DSCfix? :shrug:
This is a good idea and I will tell him so.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Also, belatedly, he hasn't made as many public appearances lately, but my understanding is that Gabe was getting swole as gently caress. I guess working steel as a hobby will do that for you.
Oh, ~Gabe-sama~ :syoon:

double nine posted:

I got invaded yesterday by an rear end in a top hat with queelaag's furysword and a bunch of toxin weapons so that's still annoyingly active.
You got invaded by Goonther? :v:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dooky Dingo posted:

This is a good idea and I will tell him so.

Oh, ~Gabe-sama~ :syoon:

You got invaded by Goonther? :v:

I doubt it was geop. Geop iirc doesn't use a bunch of dung pies and poison throwing knives in undead parish

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

:siren::ducksiren:NEW VIDEO DAY!:ducksiren::siren:
Episode 6: A metaphor for girly bits

On an unrelated note, this will be the second update without any kind of thread activity.
Anyone still out there? :tinfoil:

I can barely keep up with your other thread, now you want me to keep watching this one as well? Such greed! :v:

BTW, I have to pull zoo rank again and say that when I worked with sloths I had to watch out for their ferociously sharp teeth. :black101:

(Not really, this one was a bit grumpy at times though.)

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Soop posted:

BTW, I have to pull zoo rank again and say that when I worked with sloths I had to watch out for their ferociously sharp teeth. :black101:

D'awww! :kimchi:
Soop, you always get to play with the best animal buddies.
out of curiosity, do you have a job at a zoo?
Also, what is that Sloth's name. I hope it's "Frank". He looks like a "Frank.":coal:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

D'awww! :kimchi:
Soop, you always get to play with the best animal buddies.
out of curiosity, do you have a job at a zoo?
Also, what is that Sloth's name. I hope it's "Frank". He looks like a "Frank.":coal:

Thanks! I worked at a zoo for about 5 years before I moved. That sloth is actually a female, her name is Esmeralda. She did have a boyfriend named Oliver though. But if she looks like "Frank" to you, that's fine by me. :unsmith:

But enough about sloths, let's talk DARK SOULS! How close are we in updates to Detective Smushy investigating the Catacombs and interrogating GraveCrimelord Nito?

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Episode 7: Two bosses with one stone

Today, we murder some people who deserve it and go on the hunt for Jimmy!

Archaotic
Aug 12, 2008
Oh, Havel.

Still haven't gotten the multiplayer working again yet, huh? That's no good.

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

Episode 7: Two bosses with one stone

Today, we murder some people who deserve it and go on the hunt for Jimmy!

The real Butt Souls starts here. :getin:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Archaotic posted:

Oh, Havel.

Still haven't gotten the multiplayer working again yet, huh? That's no good.
I maintain that if Havel was a real religious figure, I would convert. :catholic:

Mr. Soop posted:

The real Butt Souls starts here. :getin:
I'm... intrigued... :frogon:

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

I'm the only muthafukin Jedi to defeat the muthafukin Emperor! Not even Yoda pulled that shit off! I'm tired of that bitch Skywalker gettin all the muthafukin credit!

Dooky Dingo posted:

I maintain that if Havel was a real religious figure, I would convert. :catholic:

I'm... intrigued... :frogon:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572845&pagenumber=18#post433590207

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

:staredog: I'm... uh... I'm learning an awful lot about you here, Bodz...

bodz5150
Jun 29, 2005

Dooky Dingo posted:

:staredog: I'm... uh... I'm learning an awful lot about you here, Bodz...

Gotta admit, I was really :blush: getting into a MGS rear end discussion. Butts were mentioned here and poo poo happened. I have no regrets. Smushy by the way does not have a Solid Snake level rear end, it's more Sam Fisher.
Butt related-Here's Vidjagame Apocalypse, a podcast with a top 5 video game butts. These guys are great, give them a chance. The host Mikel Reparaz, is a regular reader of Something Awful and genuinely funny.

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

bodz5150 posted:

Gotta admit, I was really :blush: getting into a MGS rear end discussion. Butts were mentioned here and poo poo happened. I have no regrets. Smushy by the way does not have a Solid Snake level rear end, it's more Sam Fisher.
On a somewhat related side note, I have a particular theory about how Dark Souls views women, but I would really like to hear some of your views before I bust mine out either in the thread or during a video.
So, "What is the relationship with Dark Souls and women?" :can:

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
So this week we learned that San Francisco (or was it San Diego) was an inside job in the Lost World, and having offended all races and nationalities, you have moved on to reveal yourselves as class 3 sect offenders. Somehow I don't think smushy is the real monster :)

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Narahari posted:

So this week we learned that San Francisco (or was it San Diego) was an inside job in the Lost World, and having offended all races and nationalities, you have moved on to reveal yourselves as class 3 sect offenders. Somehow I don't think smushy is the real monster :)
Jokes on you, We're all Smushy.
IT'S SMUSHIES ALL THE WAY DOWN.:unsmigghh:

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Dooky Dingo posted:

Jokes on you, We're all Smushy.
IT'S SMUSHIES ALL THE WAY DOWN.:unsmigghh:

We're all Smushy down here! :kheldragar:

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Episode 8: Hot dogs

Today, we get through Blighttown in the best way possible.
Falling. :getin:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Excellent episode.

Of course, Queelag's physiology makes sense when considering she wasn't birthed into that form, she was created by magic.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Mordaedil posted:

Excellent episode.

Of course, Queelag's physiology makes sense when considering she wasn't birthed into that form, she was created by magic.

Technically twisted by the infinite chaos that is Fire and misapplied Pyromancy.

I am a giant nerd and love all the themes Dark Souls has going on.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

blighttown is the one reason why I always purchase a 99 stack of throwing knives: to deal with those drat mosquitoes.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I wouldn't point out that the chaos witches are an example of misogyny in dark souls, they're tragic figures who were birthed when their mother tried to reignite the primordial flame with parts of her own soul. That being said, Sigmeyer's daughter is the only female character who is actually portrayed well and/or isn't trapped at a bonfire and even she has to be rescued....

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

I wouldn't point out that the chaos witches are an example of misogyny in dark souls, they're tragic figures who were birthed when their mother tried to reignite the primordial flame with parts of her own soul. That being said, Sigmeyer's daughter is the only female character who is actually portrayed well and/or isn't trapped at a bonfire and even she has to be rescued....

I always chalk that up to Japan being very culturally married to purity maidens and holy women and the like while also not being that aware of how that could look in a modern context.

vvv Every time I play through this game I can't bring myself to kill Priscilla precisely because she's perfectly willing to let me go by without a fight. vvv

Kobold eBooks fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 20, 2014

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I, personally, also like the character of Priscilla the half-breed, who, while being absolute furry fan-service, actually does a very good job of being both lady-like, as befits a person of her royal lineage, and an absolute invisible half-dragon scythe-wielding badass who just wants you to leave her alone. She is even one of the few characters in the game who is willing to show you mercy and DOESN'T try to murder you on sight...
Also, you can say the chaos witches aren't examples of misogyny, except for the fact that all of them are topless. :shepface::fh:

PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE
There's evidence in the flavour text of this game that they were going to split certain armour sets by gender, much like From Software did in Demon's Souls.

There's also text that alludes to women only having access to some spells and men having access to the other half. It sounded like it was going to be divided as Miracles for women, Magic for men, Pyro for both.

It was detailed in one of those "bet you didn't know" youtube videos. Luckily they dropped all that stuff before release.

Dooky Dingo posted:

Also, you can say the chaos witches aren't examples of misogyny, except for the fact that all of them are topless. :shepface::fh:

I'd say Quelaana of Izalith is basically asking you to put an end to their topless charade, except the Daughter of Chaos that invades you in Lost Izalith also wears the full gown.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Taint punching guys on ladders is just uncalled for, you absolute monster :colbert:

DirtyPatty
May 30, 2011

T1g4h posted:

Taint punching guys on ladders is just uncalled for, you absolute monster :colbert:

If I was climbing a ladder and someone rubbed their taint on my head I'd punch it. Just saying.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Dooky Dingo posted:

I, personally, also like the character of Priscilla the half-breed, who, while being absolute furry fan-service, actually does a very good job of being both lady-like, as befits a person of her royal lineage, and an absolute invisible half-dragon scythe-wielding badass who just wants you to leave her alone. She is even one of the few characters in the game who is willing to show you mercy and DOESN'T try to murder you on sight...

Dooky Dingo posted:

I, personally, also like the character of Priscilla the half-breed, who, while being absolute furry fan-service

:colbert:

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Priscilla shows too much skin to be furry fanservice trust me I would know because

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

The Door Frame posted:

To be fair, virtually everyone you meet needs to be rescued, except for the handful of people who willingly confine themselves to a small area because they realize that trying to go -anywhere- will get them killed. They could have done with another woman or two for NPCs, though, I agree with that - I think the one you interact with most is actually mute, which is a problem in itself.

Unless Frampt is a lady. Maybe Frampt is the very height of femininity among Creepy Big-Teethed Serpents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't really think it is problematic as it is essentially a love-letter to western written fiction and we're essentially even worse than the Japanese at this whole ordeal.

Think about it though, pretty much every character in Dark Souls has to be saved in some manner. Your entire adventure is kick-started by Oscar saving you and you quickly repay him by taking on his task for him before he hollows. Every character has to be rescued at some point, even if you're maybe not always the one doing the rescuing.

The only exception that comes to mind is the crestfallen warrior.

• Locked thread