Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

I guess I was referring specifically to the highlighted part, which is way over the top and probably the writer purposely framing it that way more than anything. Although in the last decade it's hard to see where going to Jerry for advice on anything other than making money is worthwhile.

JJ is one of the most successful owners in the league when it comes to everything that isn't personnel decisions, so the takeaway is to follow his business advice but also hire a GM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Raiders hate cosplay.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

FuzzySkinner posted:

I was in Maryland the past week.

I love, LOVE crabcakes but was kind of surprised at how expensive they actually were.

This despite the fact that I was pretty much the Crabcake capital of the world.

a) Did you go to a chain place? b) This is a bad season for them as far as harvests.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MrLogan posted:

a) Did you go to a chain place? b) This is a bad season for them as far as harvests.

Naw, tried to hit up the local joints.

That would explain quite a bit though.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The crab I've had in coastal GA towns makes me not want to eat crab anymore.

Also, gently caress Michael Crabtree

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

Also, gently caress Michael Crabtree

:( I like michael crabtree.
Also come eat crab in San Francisco we got the dungoness crab out the wazoo and it's good.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Rasczak posted:

JJ is one of the most successful owners in the league when it comes to everything that isn't personnel decisions, so the takeaway is to follow his business advice but also hire a GM

Yeah, dude may be bad at managing personnel, but I imagine he knows his poo poo about the business end of things.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blitz7x posted:

Raiders were PBR'd and Buffet'd

Okay not really but it'd be more appropriate.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Bip Roberts posted:

How do you end up at Ruth's Chris in Texas?

San Antonio has really bad food.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Shrimpy posted:

San Antonio has really bad food.

Gonna do that Four Horseman Challenge

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So, something is going on. Apparently there's a plan for a new stadium, maybe.

quote:

For months, Quan has been predicting that a broad agreement for a new Raiders stadium, costing $900 million to $1.2 billion, would be worked out by the summer's end.

Now, Zach Wasserman, an attorney representing backers of a hoped-for sports, housing and retail complex called Coliseum City, says the "basic terms" of a financial deal have been worked out among his group, the city's negotiators and the Raiders.

The idea is that the public wouldn't be on the hook for construction costs - those would be paid for by revenue generated by the project, the NFL and other private sources - but taxpayers would contribute the land and infrastructure improvements.

The city and county would also have to come up with the $120 million to pay off the Coliseum expansion that lured the Raiders back from Los Angeles. City and county taxpayers now pay $20 million a year in general-fund money for debt service.

Where would the $120 million come from? "That's a great question that we will probably not say anything about," Quan spokesman Sean Maher said - at least not until a deal is reached and made public.

Another big question is how the Oakland A's - who just signed a 10-year lease extension at the stadium that would be demolished - fit into the picture.

What do land and infrastructure improvements go for these days? I love the non-answer on the 120 million, 'Great question! Moving on,' and absolutely ignoring the A's.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well the land is already there, but land in the bay area is of course monumentally expensive. Infrastructure too. It'd be impossible to even guess without knowing what is already there, what needs to be put in, whether there's remediation or cleanup to be done, whether an EIR has to be done and how long and expensive that would be, and of course, the real question is whether the oakland taxpayers would want to do it or not. Oakland already has high property taxes, and the area around the Colosseum is mostly poor people who can legitimately complain about a lack of services and security.

But it is a step forward.

Bivens
Jun 23, 2003

die mensch·maschine

Leperflesh posted:

Well the land is already there, but land in the bay area is of course monumentally expensive. Infrastructure too. It'd be impossible to even guess without knowing what is already there, what needs to be put in, whether there's remediation or cleanup to be done, whether an EIR has to be done and how long and expensive that would be, and of course, the real question is whether the oakland taxpayers would want to do it or not. Oakland already has high property taxes, and the area around the Colosseum is mostly poor people who can legitimately complain about a lack of services and security.

But it is a step forward.

a draft EIR has been released, info is here http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/PBN/OurOrganization/PlanningZoning/OAK040453

I would much rather see the Raiders in Los Angeles as it puts them much closer to where I live, but I am in support of any deal that keeps them in California and the gently caress out of goddamn Texas

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I just don't want the Chargers to move to LA and the Raiders are my best bet to keep that dream alive.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Lets get some contraction action going on

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
This Coliseum City thing is reminding me of a similar project that Charles Wang, the former owner of the Islanders, wanted to do to Nassau Coliseum.

A bit of backstory. Nassau Coliseum is the second oldest and second smallest NHL venue in existence. It's a rotting concrete lump in the middle of a massive parking lot on some of the most desirable land on the planet. It's in between two well rated colleges (Hofstra and Nassau Community), and down the road from huge Eisenhower Park. Average home prices LITERALLY ACROSS THE STREET is in the 200k's. Mostly small single family homes on 1/8 acre lots.

The Lighthouse Project would have taken the rotting corpse of the Coliseum and turned it into a

quote:

... plan originally included a renovation of the Coliseum, a 60-story tower designed to look like a lighthouse, housing, athletic facilities, a new minor league baseball stadium, restaurants, and a new hotel, at a projected overall cost of approximately $200 million.

After the project's completion, 19,000 new permanent jobs were expected to be created.

It looked fantastic. I was so pumped for it. Because I grew up on Long Island, and unless something drastic happened, I would have to move to somewhere far cheaper. 19 thousand jobs? Holy poo poo. If this project happened, if I could get in on that, I COULD STAY ON LONG ISLAND. And so could the Islanders, because holy poo poo, they were eager to get out of there. I could continue living in a place I really enjoyed, where I grew up, where all my friends lived, and support a team I liked.

Nope! It was shut down faster then a nuclear waste dump. I was forced to move to Jacksonville and become a Jaguars fan. The Islanders are moving to Brooklyn. The Republicans and developers get their giant parking lot to turn into townhomes.

gently caress you Kate Murray die and burn in hockey hell AAGGHHHH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lighthouse_Project

So, good luck with Coliseum City. Hope you don't have Republicans.

\/\/\/ 3.4bn. I think the 200m was going to be exclusively for just the ice hockey rink bit. \/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 4, 2014

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sounds like the problem was thinking you could build just a 60 story building, let alone anything else, for $200 million, rather than some sort of political boogey man. You can't even build a subway station in Virginia for $200 million.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Well Cal spent 400 million to rebuild a lovely stadium so a new one for twice that isn't too bad.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
poo poo, Wazzu spent about $120m on a student rec center and the cougar football project has been dropping $$$ to expand the suites and media box and build a modest football operations building. at least all of it owns, but we still have the lowest capaxity stadium in the Pac-12 and one of the smaller stadiums in the country. at least it has a great atmosphere since there are only a very few "bad" seats (which, ironically, didn't exist until the new football operations building was built because they constructed a tunnel for players to come out, which is topped by sloped seating for a student superfan section but it juts out just enough to impede sight lines of the end zone for those sitting in the front of the corner. you can see it here https://www.facebook.com/TheCougarFootballProject/photos/pb.139563982814833.-2207520000.1409818995./503805353057359/?type=3&theater

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
A&M just spent $450 million on renovating their stadium. I haven't been yet but hopefully they at least got rid of the piss troughs.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

computer parts posted:

I haven't been yet but hopefully they at least got rid of the piss troughs.

It's just not college ball without piss troughs.

Next thing you know they'll have us sitting in actual seats instead of allocating 14 inches bleacher to you.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

computer parts posted:

A&M just spent $450 million on renovating their stadium. I haven't been yet but hopefully they at least got rid of the piss troughs.

Replaced by stalls with Grode jars

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Febreeze posted:

Replaced by stalls with Grode jars

quadruple the depth. triple the width. plug the drain.

grode trough.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

wheez the roux posted:

quadruple the depth. triple the width. plug the drain.

grode trough.

Just give them a hose and have everyone pee on the floor, there's a drain

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

Just give them a hose and have everyone pee on the floor, there's a drain

I used to know someone that played football on a team that went on an exhibition tour of Italy in the 80s and he said one of the soccer stadiums they played in had a locker room with this feature a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sash! posted:

I used to know someone that played football on a team that went on an exhibition tour of Italy in the 80s and he said one of the soccer stadiums they played in had a locker room with this feature a

To bring this thread full circle the Raiders currently have a stadium where instead of peeing into drains the pee comes up from the drain all on it's own.

• Locked thread