Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Volkerball posted:

You don't have to drive home drunk, you just have to make it to the gas station on the corner to sleep it off. :cmon:

This is a pretty good way to get a DUI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

MourningView posted:

This is a pretty good way to get a DUI.

I live like 15 minutes from the stadium. :shrug: I've got the luxury of buses and taxis.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

You don't have to drive home drunk, you just have to make it to the gas station on the corner to sleep it off. :cmon:

Or... get a hotel room to sleep in, and take a taxi/walk to the game, and avoid driving drunk altogether.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FizFashizzle posted:

Driving really far to support a team kinda sucks. You can't tailgate or anything and its hard to rationalize driving home drunk for four hours.

This is partially why I wasn't into sports much as a kid. I lived in Idaho so the nearest team was either the Seahawks, the Raiders/49ers, or the Broncos, and none of them were within about 12 hours driving distance.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

HappyHelmet posted:

Or... get a hotel room to sleep in, and take a taxi/walk to the game, and avoid driving drunk altogether.

You seriously don't get that this is like super inconvenient to do? Especially since games are on a Sunday.

Hey sorry your team moved, Oakland fans, but you can drive 6 hours (probably more like 7 or 8 with LA traffic), get a hotel, and miss work the next Monday while you drive back, so it's not really THAT big a deal.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

computer parts posted:

This is partially why I wasn't into sports much as a kid. I lived in Idaho so the nearest team was either the Seahawks, the Raiders/49ers, or the Broncos, and none of them were within about 12 hours driving distance.

I'd ignore sports too with that Sophie's choice.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

MourningView posted:

You seriously don't get that this is like super inconvenient to do? Especially since games are on a Sunday.

Hey sorry your team moved, Oakland fans, but you can drive 6 hours (probably more like 7 or 8 with LA traffic), get a hotel, and miss work the next Monday while you drive back, so it's not really THAT big a deal.

They'll have high speed rail to get them to the game in 2029. :colbert:

Just kidding, that's more of a pipe dream than a new stadium in Oakland

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I'm sure New England fans wouldn't mind the trip if the Patriots moved to Buffalo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

It's kind of a pain in the rear end when it's three hours away, let alone what's basically like "time to drive from Baltimore to Savannah now."

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Going to Qualcomm is a pain in the rear end and I live a mile away from it.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Kawakami is a shithead but brings up a point

quote:

An emailer reminded me of a potentially very significant issue involving the commisioner’s less-than-subtle nudging of the 49ers and Raiders to sit down and talk about the Raiders at least temporarily playing games at the 49ers’ new Levi’s Stadium:

What about the 61,500 seat licenses (or Stadium Builders Licenses) that the 49ers sold to raise $500M for the costs of construction?

Those SBLs cost anywhere from $2,000 to $80,000 PER SEAT–not a minor purchase here–and aren’t just about having cushy chairs and good drink service at 49ers games.

Part of the agreement is that SBL-holders have first dibs on most other events at the stadium. It’s a standard luxury accommodation for seat-licenses and it will include the Earthquakes game to open the place on Aug. 2, the bowl game in December, the Pac-12 title game, concerts, and all that Jed York can provide beyond the 49ers home schedule…

And…

There is no way the Raiders would agree to 49ers SBL-holders getting first look at their tickets.

Even if they did, the 49ers wouldn’t want to share any % of their precious SBL cash with the Raiders.

Zero chance times zero.

Uh oh.

This is part of what Raiders Mark Davis means when he talks about having a real home for the Raiders and their fans, not a rented place that was built by somebody else for themselves.

The 49ers built this stadium with fans and companies who paid enormous sums for year-round access to events at Levi’s–it’s a license, not a ticket–and any Raiders game would necessarily be separate from that.

Separate and unequal.

So, if the Raiders ever happened to come in as tenants…

The 49ers would have a LARGE problem when the Raiders charge less than the 49ers charge for the same seats (anything’s cheaper than $80K!)…

Which is when the 49ers SBL-holders would logically start screaming because they paid upwards of $80K PLUS the cost of a game ticket for the same seats a Raider fan is paying $75 or whatever the price to purchase.
$80,300, let’s say, vs. $75. For the same seat, for a game in the same league, maybe even against the same opponent.

That is a problem. That is a big problem.

I’ve heard NFL sources mutter about this SBL-Raider tickets problem, and potential SBL-holder lawsuits (and guys who can spend 80K on ONE SEAT usually have plenty of money to fund lawsuits) and the like.

I’ve heard that nobody has a good answer for it, not practically.

And then I forgot about the issue when I wrote the last item about the commissioner’s big Raiders-at-Levi’s trial balloon.

So I’m mentioning it now. We know the NFL wants to settle the Raiders stadium problem (at least temporarily) by putting them in Levi’s Stadium with the 49ers, and we know the NFL put $200M into the construction so the NFL has some ability to lean on both teams.

But the Raiders have said they don’t want to do it, the 49ers have said they’re open (because it’s in the agreement with the NFL and Santa Clara that they HAVE to be open to it), yet we know the 49ers aren’t in love with idea of being the Raiders’ landlords.

Finally, the SBL problem might be the trickiest one of all–because it’s not about influence or willingness, it’s about cold cash.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Obviously the solution is to move them to London.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
The solution is to move them to LA

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
we're going home

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Blitz7x posted:

The solution is to move them to LA

Sadly this really is the only solution. Oakland's politicians are a cesspit of special interest that would rather see the area continue to stagnate if it means they can't get their particular pockets lined. So, gently caress it, Oakland doesn't deserve a team(Warriors are leaving, too, GG East Bay).

It's also pretty idiotic that the NFL doesn't have a franchise in LA at all. The Raiders moving to LA(if they get a brand new stadium) is a win for everyone.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Blitz7x posted:

The solution is to move them to Portland

http://www.nfltoportland.com/home.html

A thing that will never, ever happen but is fun to think about!

lmao The Tualatin Raiders. That has no ring to it at all.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Schwack posted:

http://www.nfltoportland.com/home.html

A thing that will never, ever happen but is fun to think about!

lmao The Tualatin Raiders. That has no ring to it at all.

When the NFL expands to Europe, they'll move to Italy and be the Tuscan Raiders.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
FWIW, Levi's PSLs specifically don't grant any rights to other NFL games held there. And we'd probably just roll over and take it if Raiders PSLs/tickets were cheaper, although, y'know, I don't know how they'd remotely justify selling PSLs for Raiders tickets given that the stadium is already completely financed.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

rjmccall posted:

FWIW, Levi's PSLs specifically don't grant any rights to other NFL games held there. And we'd probably just roll over and take it if Raiders PSLs/tickets were cheaper, although, y'know, I don't know how they'd remotely justify selling PSLs for Raiders tickets given that the stadium is already completely financed.

They'll make the excuse that the revenue generated by raiders PSLs in the 49ers stadium will go to a future stadium, and that's only if they bother to make an excuse at all. The NFL has long been in the 'gently caress you, pay me' realm.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

warcrimes posted:

Sadly this really is the only solution. Oakland's politicians are a cesspit of special interest that would rather see the area continue to stagnate if it means they can't get their particular pockets lined. So, gently caress it, Oakland doesn't deserve a team(Warriors are leaving, too, GG East Bay).

It's also pretty idiotic that the NFL doesn't have a franchise in LA at all. The Raiders moving to LA(if they get a brand new stadium) is a win for everyone.

LA: Bastion of Deserving

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Frackie Robinson posted:

LA: Bastion of Deserving

Deserving is too much, but it's the 2nd largest media market in the USA. It's pretty weird that they don't have a team.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Volkerball posted:

When the NFL expands to Europe, they'll move to Italy and be the Tuscan Raiders.

Well now they have to do it

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

:golfclap:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Volkerball posted:

I support this proposal.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
These passes are too accurate for Raiders.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Volkerball posted:

This is how I went to games in St. Louis and Indianapolis while living in Milwaukee :feelsgoodman:

even better than a gas station is one of those roadside Oasis things all over the Midwest. or if you went to a game in Green Bay you sleep in your car on whoever's lawn you parked on for the 2-3 hours it takes for the highway onramps to clear out

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

HappyHelmet posted:

Deserving is too much, but it's the 2nd largest media market in the USA. It's pretty weird that they don't have a team.

They had three and couldn't keep any of them

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Not gifting a stadium to Al Davis is literally a small cost for not having a NFL team.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Bip Roberts posted:

Not gifting a stadium to Al Davis is literally a small cost for not having a NFL team.

:frogout:

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
The Rams had two problems which caused them to leave. The first is that they played in a 100k stadium and the games wouldn't air on TV unless it was sold out. The caused them to move and led to the 2nd being that they moved to Anaheim which is an hour away from LA. I'm not surprised no one attended their games.

The Raiders should move back to LA. I just hope that they somehow get Farmer's Field open and not that terrible stadium idea off the 57/60 interchange.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Frackie Robinson posted:

These passes are too accurate for Raiders.

They're in single high safety, to disguise their coverage.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Nawid posted:

Oakland took ten years to decide on a dog park (they finally said no recently). No loving way anything gets done there.

This is the most ridiculous goddamn thing I have ever heard.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

That was before football's popularity exploded like it did. It makes sense to give it one more try in that context.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

That was before football's popularity exploded like it did. It makes sense to give it one more try in that context.

Goodell will put two successful franchises in LA as a part of his "legacy". If that means paying off whoever in LA it takes and loaning the Raiders 200-300 million to facilitate the building of a new stadium, more power to him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

The caused them to move and led to the 2nd being that they moved to Anaheim which is an hour away from LA. I'm not surprised no one attended their games.

Even just Orange County has more people than St. Louis though.

That said I think the Raiders would work fine with a stadium that wasn't awful and smack in the middle of the shittiest part of LA.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 20, 2014

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

The Rams had two problems which caused them to leave. The first is that they played in a 100k stadium and the games wouldn't air on TV unless it was sold out. The caused them to move and led to the 2nd being that they moved to Anaheim which is an hour away from LA. I'm not surprised no one attended their games.

The Raiders should move back to LA. I just hope that they somehow get Farmer's Field open and not that terrible stadium idea off the 57/60 interchange.

Too bad they didn't have tarp technology back then.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
A's to North Jersey and the Raiders to LA. Make it happen MLB/NFL.

I think it would be great if LA got a modern tiered stadium and those depression era shithole bowls got the wrecking ball.

Blitz7x posted:

Kawakami is a shithead but brings up a point

Giants and Jets each sold their own PSL's. We technically get 1st dibs at stadium events but it mostly amounts to a non-discounted "presale" using some offer code on ticketmaster.com you get in an e-mail.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 21, 2014

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
A's to North Jersey would be amazing. They left Philly so long ago there isn't really resentment left from it, I would love to take them on as a second team if they were that close and I bet others would too. Having fans from Philly, all around Jersey, and New York would be huge.

e: Is our dream plan going to run into the same territory problem?

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jul 21, 2014

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
gently caress all y'all. The A's are staying in the bay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

swickles posted:

Too bad they didn't have tarp technology back then.

Those tarps have saved many a poor Jags Fan's afternoon, let me tell you. Now we have pool and cabana technology. The eyes of the sporting world fall on our tiki bars.

Secretly, we always had a pool in Everbank, but that was just when the tarps filled up with rainwater.

• Locked thread