Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

davecrazy posted:

I think it would be great if LA got a modern tiered stadium and those depression era shithole bowls got the wrecking ball.

The Rose Bowl is awesome, dumbass. :mad:

The Coliseum could get bulldozed tomorrow though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

This, this, this, this.

Every little kid in the midwest dreams of playing there on January 1st.

I like The Coliseum as a College Football venue though. Should be USC Football and that's it.

So pretty much build LA a new pro football stadium, but leave the two current ones for College Football.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

FuzzySkinner posted:

I like The Coliseum as a College Football venue though. Should be USC Football and that's it.

MourningView posted:

Best of both worlds, let USC into the stadium and tear it down with them inside, because gently caress the Trojans.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
USC rules, go Trojans

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

USC rules, go Trojans

Normally I would disagree, but how can you root against a team that leaves Kiffin at the airport after firing him in the middle of the night?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

A's to North Jersey would be amazing. They left Philly so long ago there isn't really resentment left from it, I would love to take them on as a second team if they were that close and I bet others would too. Having fans from Philly, all around Jersey, and New York would be huge.

e: Is our dream plan going to run into the same territory problem?

Yes, both the Mets and Yankees would not allow it, even though the area could support 3 teams and there are already exsisting plans to fit a baseball stadium into the Meadowlands. Though I'm sure you could convince Newark to build one too.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

swickles posted:

Normally I would disagree, but how can you root against a team that leaves Kiffin at the airport after firing him in the middle of the night?

What? gently caress yes, I just became a college football fan. Hook em Trojans.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Why doesn't anyone want the Oakland teams to stay in Oakland? I've never seen so many goons advocate taking something from impoverished minorities and giving it to rich white people.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Frackie Robinson posted:

Why doesn't anyone want the Oakland teams to stay in Oakland? I've never seen so many goons advocate taking something from impoverished minorities and giving it to rich white people.

If there's one thing LA doesn't have, it's impoverished minorities

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Every little kid in the midwest dreams of playing there on January 1st.

I grew up in the midwest hoping to play in the Orange Bowl.

Which just proves that there's always something worse out there I guess.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
The problem of LA is that it allows every team to hold its city hostage for favorable stadium construction and renovation terms so get a team to LA as soon as possible

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

football fuckerman posted:

The problem of LA is that it allows every team to hold its city hostage for favorable stadium construction and renovation terms so get a team to LA as soon as possible

There's dignity in losing a team to a major city. When the team says "we'll go to LA!" you're like "well we're not NYC or LA so how can we compete!"

It's more of an insult when a team threatens to decamp to places like San Antonio, Kansas City, or Portland. When its one of that tier you're like "our city is better than that place!"

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I hope the Raiders stay in Oakland if only because listening to my neighbors chat about football is fantastic. They are still complaining about Terrelle Pryor's lack of playing time.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Frackie Robinson posted:

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

If there's one thing LA doesn't have, it's impoverished minorities

Also the other side of the coin here is the East Bay really isn't that poor overall.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

MourningView posted:

absolutely correct

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

USC rules, go Trojans

gently caress off
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lZFnbezAu4

Sash! posted:

There's dignity in losing a team to a major city. When the team says "we'll go to LA!" you're like "well we're not NYC or LA so how can we compete!"

It's more of an insult when a team threatens to decamp to places like San Antonio, Kansas City, or Portland. When its one of that tier you're like "our city is better than that place!"

oklahoma goddamn city

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
LA Times had an article this weekend where they said the NFL is considering building a stadium in LA themselves.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-la-qa-farmer-20140720-story.html

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

LA Times had an article this weekend where they said the NFL is considering building a stadium in LA themselves.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/nfl/la-sp-nfl-la-qa-farmer-20140720-story.html

That's a really interesting concept. It would be complex as hell to make some sort of revenue sharing from the stadium so potential owners don't feel like they would be second rate owners compared to teams with their own buildings but it would solve a lot of the problems with getting one or two teams going. And I've always found the idea that the owners don't want to be back in LA to be a ridiculous conspiracy theory. There will always be somewhere for owners to threaten to move to, not being in LA is costing them an absolutely insane amount of potential profit. The reasons teams have failed before are known, and they would not exist with a quality new venue and strong ownership in place.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'd love to have a team back in LA but Raiderfans are the worst; I'd rather have a commute that requires usage of both the 405 and the 10 than see the Raiders back in LA. Please rot in the Bay forever.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Raider fans are here anyway.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

The Raider fans are here anyway.

"If you build it... they will come"

Bowl of Dreams

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.

Furious Lobster posted:

I'd love to have a team back in LA but Raiderfans are the worst; I'd rather have a commute that requires usage of both the 405 and the 10 than see the Raiders back in LA. Please rot in the Bay forever.

:stare: don't even joke about things like that man, the 10 alone is a house of horrors. And yeah, I remember seeing a fair few Raiders fans in LA. Lot of Packers fans too oddly.

Evvv: I see no problem with that MV, Charles Woodson rules and so do Favre and Rodgers.

superaielman fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 22, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sports bars in the greater LA area are like 70% angry people in Charles Woodson jerseys, 15% Rodgers or Favre Packers jerseys, and 15% everything else.

only temporary
Sep 3, 2006
Can't the Rams and Raiders just share a stadium in LA? I just want out of St. Louis.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

only temporary posted:

Can't the Rams and Raiders just share a stadium in LA? I just want out of St. Louis.

Where the hell are we supposed to go

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Where the hell are we supposed to go

Qualcomm ain't that bad. You can hold out for another 20 years or so.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Volkerball posted:

Qualcomm ain't that bad. You can hold out for another 20 years or so.

It's really bad

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Frackie Robinson posted:

I feel bad for Oakland fans, for me it's more a matter of the city (local government) being seemingly dysfunctional about the whole thing. Not to say it's all on them or anything, but it just seems like it's all messed up. This sums up part of the issue:
http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/System-of-overseeing-Coliseum-must-change-5619112.php

quote:

At issue is a system that allows three government bodies to have a say in a lease deal: Oakland's eight-member City Council, the five-person Alameda County Board of Supervisors and the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Authority board, which is made up of eight city and county leaders.

The Coliseum board was created in the late 1990s to represent the interests of both the city and the county, but all three bodies must approve major deals at the sports complex.

Oakland's City Council, however, requires the city's representatives to check with the council before voting, even though the council will also vote on the deal.
And apparently the city council has been trying to push some other deal? It's all confusing.

MourningView posted:

Sports bars in the greater LA area are like 70% angry people in Charles Woodson jerseys, 15% Rodgers or Favre Packers jerseys, and 15% everything else.
I have a Janikowski jersey :smugdog:

(But I'm in Orange County so that doesn't really count :ssh:)

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

japtor posted:

I feel bad for Oakland fans, for me it's more a matter of the city (local government) being seemingly dysfunctional about the whole thing. Not to say it's all on them or anything, but it just seems like it's all messed up. This sums up part of the issue:
http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/System-of-overseeing-Coliseum-must-change-5619112.php

It pretty much IS their fault.

Also, any of you masochists calling yourself Raider fans, NFL Network is featuring the AFC West's 2013 season in a series of 30-min highlight shows. Now normally I'd blow off watching that after a 4-12 season, but we beat the loving Steelers, so yeah, :getin:

e: The Raiders are on right now and again at 9pm PST.

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 23, 2014

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
It should be a 30 minute loop of pryor90yardrun.gif

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

30 minute loop of Keenan Allen hurdling a Bronco for a touchdown.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

30 minute loop of Keenan Allen hurdling a Bronco for a touchdown.

Chargers are starting right now.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

japtor posted:

I have a Janikowski jersey :smugdog:

:hfive: jersey buddy. I'm going to be sad when Janikowski gets cut after this year and I put his jersey into retirement with my Lechler one.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

Your numbers seem a bit off. You need to carve off at least 5 percent of the everything else for disgruntled Chargers fans.

I could totally see the NFL fronting for a stadium in Los Angeles. I realize stadium building fucks over cities in general and the amount of bending over and taking it from the league to host a super bowl is ridiculous, but haven't they said actually hosting a super bowl does bring in a ton of money? And as the article says, just say gently caress it, put the pro bowl in Los Angeles?

And I realize everyone wants to host a loving super bowl but who cares if its fair or not. Just rotate the super bowl between a few cities like Los angeles, new orleans, and miami. Everyone is happy.

I also think that when people cite how many times teams have left Los Angeles, the way professional sports across America have changed so much. There is so much more money, so much more NFL, so much more everything. If a team came back to Los Angeles, I think they'd do very very well this time around. The amount of money that the NFL makes and the way all pro sports teams seem to be rising astronomically in value strengthen the equity in teams. I think a team in Los Angeles would be fun...granted, I live there. However, I think a downtown stadium makes the most sense rather than one way the gently caress out of the city, but my god, the traffic would be horrific. I'm just imagining the early part of the season where all the sports are crossing over one another. Oh there's a basketball game, a football game, and a baseball game! The 110 will be perfect!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

soggybagel posted:

Your numbers seem a bit off. You need to carve off at least 5 percent of the everything else for disgruntled Chargers fans.

I almost never see Chargers fans and that includes attending an actual Chargers game.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

soggybagel posted:

And I realize everyone wants to host a loving super bowl but who cares if its fair or not. Just rotate the super bowl between a few cities like Los angeles, new orleans, and miami. Everyone is happy.

I still think it's intriguing when a city like Indianapolis makes a run at hosting and then ends up doing a fantastic job at it.

I think that those cities should be in the majority of cities hosting super bowls, but if you can put on a good super bowl and not suck at it? Then yes, you should be able to make a run at hosting it.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

soggybagel posted:

I realize stadium building fucks over cities in general

citation needed.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

warcrimes posted:

citation needed.

not really

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

I still think it's intriguing when a city like Indianapolis makes a run at hosting and then ends up doing a fantastic job at it.

This is why I will always argue that the winner of last year's Super Bowl should host this year's Super Bowl.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That's a neat idea. I like how it sort of heightens the stakes for a team to repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

warcrimes posted:

citation needed.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/09/if-you-build-it-they-might-not-come-the-risky-economics-of-sports-stadiums/260900/
http://www.thenation.com/article/162400/why-do-mayors-love-sports-stadiums
http://grantland.com/features/miami-marlins-fan-woes/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/01/27/miami-marlins-have-become-baseballs-most-expensive-stadium-disaster/
http://www.brookings.edu/research/articles/1997/06/summer-taxes-noll

I mean. I know I've read hard studies that assess long term impact of stadiums and the fact is cities bend over backwards with massive tax breaks and are often footing bills for billionaire owners. When I have more time I'll pull those up. But its pretty well documented that stadiums bring a brief boost in jobs during construction, but only bring in a small amount of actual jobs. They're often low paying and part time. Economic impact gets massively overstated when it gets weighed against the very nice terms that owners get in regards to actually footing any bills. Take a look at Detroits new hockey arena deal for an idea.

• Locked thread