Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Didn't stop Niners fans all those years.

Well it stopped me!

The last time I went to a game (of any sport) at Candlestick was in the 1980s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Leperflesh posted:

Well it stopped me!

The last time I went to a game (of any sport) at Candlestick was in the 1980s.

Shame on you. I was there for the Monday Night Blackout Bowl against Pittsburgh.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
I just watched Moneyball for the first time tonight and good lord what a poo poo stadium

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Shame on you. I was there for the Monday Night Blackout Bowl against Pittsburgh.

So you're saying the Superbowl issue in the Superdome was normal for the Niners?

Also, I don't believe the Georgia Dome is as old as the last time Leperflesh went to Candlestick, and they're already tearing it down to build a new one.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Chilichimp posted:

So you're saying the Superbowl issue in the Superdome was normal for the Niners?

Also, I don't believe the Georgia Dome is as old as the last time Leperflesh went to Candlestick, and they're already tearing it down to build a new one.

That's why they played so well after the blackout. It suddenly became a home game for them.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Really really late for this, but I believe that overwhelming evidence suggests that Birmingham is a poor choice for pro teams. Sure, the actual NFL would have more sway, but Sunday is for going to church and talking about how your team did the day before, not pro football.

As for non-expansion team news, the proposed laws to fund an expansion of San Diego's convention center have stalled in court (apparently a new tax still has to follow laws for votes even if it only taxes visitors!) which opens the door a crack for the convention center expansions to be tied to a new football stadium downtown.

This is a very small crack, as a new stadium would cost about a billion additional dollars and the team and league have nobly pledged to contribute less than half of that. This is a mere 15 years after the Padres' former ownership group got the city to build a stadium, made about $700 million from developments surrounding it, and then sold the team, never using any of that revenue to increase payroll significantly.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Chokes McGee posted:

Sign Rally Possum as a dual sports star, start him and Kickoff Pidgeon at WR.

Raiders go 12-2.

What happens the other two games?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Tricky Ed posted:

Really really late for this, but I believe that overwhelming evidence suggests that Birmingham is a poor choice for pro teams. Sure, the actual NFL would have more sway, but Sunday is for going to church and talking about how your team did the day before, not pro football.

As for non-expansion team news, the proposed laws to fund an expansion of San Diego's convention center have stalled in court (apparently a new tax still has to follow laws for votes even if it only taxes visitors!) which opens the door a crack for the convention center expansions to be tied to a new football stadium downtown.

This is a very small crack, as a new stadium would cost about a billion additional dollars and the team and league have nobly pledged to contribute less than half of that. This is a mere 15 years after the Padres' former ownership group got the city to build a stadium, made about $700 million from developments surrounding it, and then sold the team, never using any of that revenue to increase payroll significantly.

There is either going to be a new stadium in San Diego or approval for a stadium by 2016, or the Chargers are gone.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

What happens the other two games?

Possum ate the pigeon in week 14

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

mhmm yes *blows bubbles out pipe*

quote:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 9m
Jerry Jones gushes about Michael Ovitz LA stadium model, with his arms around Ovitz and LA-hungry Mark Davis.

quote:

Perhaps it was all mere coincidence. It was just quirky timing that, with his franchise again a free agent after the season, and his efforts to get a stadium in Los Angeles taking on a more fevered pitch, and with him openly flirting with San Antonio to up the relocation ante, now, of all times, Mark Davis's Oakland Raiders happened to travel to Southern California for two days of practices with the Cowboys.

But, as they stood on a field at a training complex roughly 60 miles from downtown LA, it was surely no coincidence that as soon as practice was over Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, as slick of a media maven as they come, sought out a robust gathering of reporters, and threw his arm around Davis and Hollywood mogul Michael Ovitz. Then he launched into a soliloquy about his deep relationship with Davis, and his high esteem for an LA stadium model that Ovitz conducted and its viability to house an NFL franchise (or two, ultimately, if the NFL gets its way with this market).

This seemed like anything other than an improv act – nothing from the Actor's Studio – but rather more akin to in-your-face performance art, as the overtones of Raiders-back-to-LA were impossible to miss. Oh, and Magic Johnson (who knows a thing or two about ownership and was once represented by Ovitz) happened to be standing a few yards away, and Tommy Lasorda was sitting at a sideline-chair in a VIP area off to the side. Jones was all smiles, and the vocal – and borderline manic – Raiders fans who outnumbered Cowboys fans here and screamed as the team busses pulled up and chanting "Cowboys suck" for a good part of the afternoon made for quite the sonic backdrop to a fairly surreal scene that at times seemed like an infomercial for the NFL in LA.

Jones waxed nostalgic about Ovitz's stadium model, which cost "seven figures" to produce. He and Ovitz joked that model remains "the only stadium anyone is playing (football) in," while Davis stood on the opposite side of Jones, somewhat awkwardly. Taking the bait after the line of questioning turned to the Cowboys' recent minor transactions and Orlando Scandrick's drug suspension, I asked Jones, "Could that model still serve as a viable option for an NFL team in LA?"

"It would make a beautiful stadium," Jones said, outright beaming. "Yes it would."

Davis, for his part, spoke of Jones almost like a father figure, in the same reverential tones both men spoke of Davis's father, Al, one of the game's great builders and a Hall of Famer. "It's a great relationship," Davis said of his bond with Jones. "I look to him for answers on everything.":stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare: This was another instance in this briefing that begged for a follow up -- "Have you conferred with Jones about San Antonio?", a market Jones has dubbed as Cowboys Country.

"We haven't talked about that yet, but we'll see," Davis said.

Davis has no long-term viable options in the Bay Area, short of perhaps sharing Levi's Stadium with the 49ers, which he remains diametrically opposed to. He would love to move to Los Angeles and has intensified his desire to do so in recent months, spending oodles of time in the area, sources have said. The NFL, however, would prefer to give another ownership group the rights to Los Angeles -- make no mistake, the road to LA goes through the league office in New York -- as the Davis family already pulled out of Southern California once, and Davis doesn't have the real estate, marketing and overall business expertise the league would demand for the coveted market.

Of course, having Jones, maybe the most influential owner in the league, work with him to build a consortium of business giants and Hollywood elites might make that option more viable. Make no mistake, the sense of urgency of several parties to get to LA has increased, and will only consider to do so. The Rams are also lease free agents after the season and their owner, Stan Kroenke, already owns a huge parcel of land in LA that could house a stadium, and the Chargers, the franchise closest to Los Angeles, are not burdened by massive financial hurdles in their lease, either.

Jones is among the owners who continue to speak regularly about the importance of getting a team to LA -- imagine spinning one of the league's bottom three revenue generators into a top-five earner for the shared revenue pie? -- and don't expect that to change anytime soon. He looked comfortable as ever in the salesman role, and no doubt Davis loves having him as his wingman, doing the talking for him.

Maybe it amounts to nothing in the end, but Davis is clearly becoming increasingly visible and vocal about his dalliances with other locales, and no doubt he covets Los Angeles above San Antonio or anyplace else.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well, it's really dumb but we're talking Mark Davis here.

For whatever it's worth I do remember reading a bunch of stuff about how close Jerry was to Al, it's at least superficially believable. And again, Mark Davis.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Grittybeard posted:

Well, it's really dumb but we're talking Mark Davis here.

For whatever it's worth I do remember reading a bunch of stuff about how close Jerry was to Al, it's at least superficially believable. And again, Mark Davis.

Why is it dumb that Mark Davis is a topic of discussion in a sub about the Raiders possibly moving to LA? And yes, Al Davis and Jerry Jones were very close, Jones looked to Davis as a mentor when he first took over ownership of the Cowboys. Al was, after all, THE maverick sports team owner for 40+ years that Jones has tried to emulate(with varying degrees of success).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I guess I was referring specifically to the highlighted part, which is way over the top and probably the writer purposely framing it that way more than anything. Although in the last decade it's hard to see where going to Jerry for advice on anything other than making money is worthwhile.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Grittybeard posted:

I guess I was referring specifically to the highlighted part, which is way over the top and probably the writer purposely framing it that way more than anything. Although in the last decade it's hard to see where going to Jerry for advice on anything other than making money is worthwhile.

Okay, yeah, I agree, the general tone is a bit melodramatic, actually. I'm going to assume that since Mark has known Jerry since he was a young adult, it's more of a recent father figure/good friend of the family thing since Al died.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Yeah I highlighted the wrong part just for giggles, but the interesting part is how Jerry is pushing(helping) Davis towards LA

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

Yeah I highlighted the wrong part just for giggles, but the interesting part is how Jerry is pushing(helping) Davis towards LA

Why wouldn't he? A franchise in LA would be instantly worth north of $2b. When teams get sold, every owner gets a cut. It's in the NFL's best interest for numerous reasons to have at least one organization in LA, and the primary one is financial, of course.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Blitz7x posted:

mhmm yes *blows bubbles out pipe*

This is the worst slashfic I ever read

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

This is the worst slashfic I ever read
It's missing the Buss family as potential investors along with Magic :getin:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Grittybeard posted:

FWIW, Jed York did the same kind of ring kissing of Jerry when he was trying to get Levi's funded. The old man has a lot of pull.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Bort Bortles posted:

This doesnt only happen in California. NC drivers are Real Bad (I wont say The Worst because I dont want to start a "my state's drivers are the worst" chat).
As a truck driver who has been all over the country, the answer is All Of Them. They Are All The Worst™.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CannonFodder posted:

As a truck driver who has been all over the country, the answer is All Of Them. They Are All The Worst™.

Well that is depressing (that they are all The Worst) because it means there is no escape :ohdear:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Bort Bortles posted:

Well that is depressing (that they are all The Worst) because it means there is no escape :ohdear:

Say it with me now:

"I believe I can flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

warcrimes posted:

Why wouldn't he? A franchise in LA would be instantly worth north of $2b. When teams get sold, every owner gets a cut. It's in the NFL's best interest for numerous reasons to have at least one organization in LA, and the primary one is financial, of course.

He also really doesn't want a team in San Antonio.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

rjmccall posted:

He also really doesn't want a team in San Antonio.

Neither does Bob McNair, and as head of the owners' finance committee he's the guy that approves franchise moves.

San Antonio isn't getting a NFL team any time soon.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Who folds first?

quote:

Davis and the Raiders have a one-year lease at O.Co Coliseum. Per Tafur, Davis hasn’t requested an extension, and he doesn’t plan to do so.

Bivens
Jun 23, 2003

die mensch·maschine
if Jerry Jones is at all responsible for the Raiders moving to Los Angeles i will put on a Cowboys jersey, renounce every horrible thing i ever said about their organization, and then buy my season tickets

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Raiders belong in LA.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

davecrazy posted:

The Raiders belong in LA.
Hell I'll be satisfied as long as they just remain in CA. The question is what cites would sound good/funny for the name, such as "Weed Raiders" :420:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
They should get sponsored by Hanes and be the panty raiders.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Raiders should build a stadium that floats on the water and can travel around the bay

Fans would board the stadium on old fashioned wooden bridges

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Ostentatious posted:

Raiders should build a stadium that floats on the water and can travel around the bay

And then in the off season they can blockade Seattle until they get their booty.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

japtor posted:

Hell I'll be satisfied as long as they just remain in CA. The question is what cites would sound good/funny for the name, such as "Weed Raiders" :420:

The real question is when are the denver nuggets going to change their logo.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ostentatious posted:

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

That's loving awesome, wilford.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

http://deadspin.com/ribeyes-helicop...dium=socialflow

Raiders were wine'd and dine'd

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Those are expensive loving crab cakes

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

We don't all live on the coast.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
How do you end up at Ruth's Chris in Texas?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

I was in Maryland the past week.

I love, LOVE crabcakes but was kind of surprised at how expensive they actually were.

This despite the fact that I was pretty much the Crabcake capital of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Awww man. They almost sent him to a hotel with a comic-con convention. Opportunity for an amazing photo gone forever.

• Locked thread