Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

soggybagel posted:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/09/if-you-build-it-they-might-not-come-the-risky-economics-of-sports-stadiums/260900/
http://www.thenation.com/article/162400/why-do-mayors-love-sports-stadiums
http://grantland.com/features/miami-marlins-fan-woes/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/01/27/miami-marlins-have-become-baseballs-most-expensive-stadium-disaster/
http://www.brookings.edu/research/articles/1997/06/summer-taxes-noll

I mean. I know I've read hard studies that assess long term impact of stadiums and the fact is cities bend over backwards with massive tax breaks and are often footing bills for billionaire owners. When I have more time I'll pull those up. But its pretty well documented that stadiums bring a brief boost in jobs during construction, but only bring in a small amount of actual jobs. They're often low paying and part time. Economic impact gets massively overstated when it gets weighed against the very nice terms that owners get in regards to actually footing any bills. Take a look at Detroits new hockey arena deal for an idea.

Detroit's new hockey arena is going to own and be a massive boon to the community, along with many other unseen benefits like major donors to the city forcing the government to get their affairs in order.

It's gonna be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
I don't understand how national parking companies and international restaurant chains making money off Detroit residents is good, but obviously you have an axe to grind and my objection stands for all stadium deals where the argument is it'll help the economy

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

Detroit's new hockey arena is going to own and be a massive boon to the community

A boon to the community because it wanted a hockey arena, which is enough of a justification in my book. Its the city version of buying a ridiculously huge TV you don't really need.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Sash! posted:

A boon to the community because it wanted a hockey arena, which is enough of a justification in my book. Its the city version of buying a ridiculously huge TV you don't really need.

If you've ever been to the Joe Louis Arena, you'd know that the city needs a replacement for many reasons. Also, by creating the many neighborhoods around the arena, Ilitch and various other landowners can put pressure on the city over things like "the city should figure out a way to calculate taxes" and "the water department should have an actual system for collecting payments".

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sash! posted:

Yeah, but who wants to live in a house with a lovely TV?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

AsInHowe posted:

If you've ever been to the Joe Louis Arena, you'd know that the city needs a replacement for many reasons. Also, by creating the many neighborhoods around the arena, Ilitch and various other landowners can put pressure on the city over things like "the city should figure out a way to calculate taxes" and "the water department should have an actual system for collecting payments".

And as an added bonus the city of Detroit is paying for 58 percent of the arena.

Detroit Free Press posted:

With a new hockey arena on track to open as early as the 2016-17 season, the agreement between the City of Detroit and the Red Wings will disappear, and with it about $7 million in revenue the city received annually from the team’s home games.

Under a new deal hashed out between representatives of the team’s owners, Mike and Marian Ilitch, and state and local development authorities, the Red Wings will no longer have to share 10% of ticket proceeds, 7% of suite sales, 10% of food and beverage concessions, 5% of souvenir sales and other revenue from parking. All of that money — estimated to be about $7 million annually — would belong to the Ilitches’ Olympia Development of Michigan when the team moves north of downtown into a proposed $450-million arena.

In addition, any future proceeds from the selling of naming rights to the new 18,000-seat arena would also go to Olympia Development.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Nobody is going to argue that new stadiums aren't great, but those terms are absolute poo poo for the city.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

football fuckerman posted:

Nobody is going to argue that new stadiums aren't great, but those terms are absolute poo poo for the city.

Detroit is a toilet, man. poo poo abounds within it's rusted bowl.

Nothing but love for you guys if you live in Detroit, I hope your city leaders can (if not turn it around) at least stop the loving bleeding.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
i see, that helps. now that i know detroit is bad, the terms of the stadium construction are OK.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

football fuckerman posted:

i see, that helps. now that i know detroit is bad, the terms of the stadium construction are OK.

I wasn't saying the contract wasn't poo poo because it's in a toilet, I said it's poo poo, and you shouldn't be surprised to find it in a toilet.

To the greater point... Atlanta is building the Goatse stadium currently, and the Braves are moving outside of the City also. We've got -two- big'ol toilet projects in the works. The Braves, however, were forced to move because the ball park they've been playing in is owned by the City of Atlanta and the Braves take such a huge hit in revenue paying the city for use of the field, that it actually hurts the teams payroll.

The Falcons? Not so much. Although Blank is footing the larger bill for building the stadium, the city is being forced to shell out probably at least as much on infrastructure improvements around the site. This is all being done so that A.) Blank can have another super-bowl in this town and B.) so that Blank can buy an MLS expansion team to share the new stadium with the Falcons.

You guys probably aren't familiar with mass transit in Atlanta, so here's a breakdown.

Within the city limits there are 2 highways, north/south and east/west.
There are 2 Marta lines, north/south and east/west.
The surface streets are a maze of one way nightmares laid out like a spiderweb with 15 different foci.

In short, any infrastructure improvements will be more like infrastructure band-aids. The last Superbowl in Atlanta was a nightmare because of how bad traffic was, and we've done nothing as a city to remedy that in 14 loving years... and Goatse Dome is being build literally right next door to the current Georgia Dome. Location, location, location.

Also, I'm not sure Blank has read anything about Atlanta sports enthusiasts, but by and large, they won't watch you if you're a mediocre ball club. I hope his MLS dreams start up quickly. I pretty much detest soccer as it's the only sport my parents would enroll me in as a kid, so I probably won't be going to those games anyway.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Furious Lobster posted:

I'd love to have a team back in LA but Raiderfans are the worst; I'd rather have a commute that requires usage of both the 405 and the 10 than see the Raiders back in LA. Please rot in the Bay forever.

I take the 405 and 10 twice a day to commute and I'd love to see the Raiders in LA. I could be way down to

It just makes too much sense. Also, I know NFL AM is produced out here already, it would be a short matter of time until a shitload of football production moved here too.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 25, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hey look, the rare LA Chargers fan in his natural habitat.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chilichimp posted:

Hey look, the rare LA Chargers fan in his natural habitat.

There are no Chargers fans in LA. There are barely any in San Diego.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I can't decide if politicians forking over hundreds of millions for teams is due to stupidity or bribery.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

I can't decide if politicians forking over hundreds of millions for teams is due to stupidity or bribery.

Probably a bit of both.

Also, extortion, a lot of people will loving hate a mayor that shits on their home town team's new stadium... especially because of the (very empty) threat of moving the team unless they're given favorable treatment.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

I had no idea it was this bad in other places. I was going off the Giants', 49ers' and incoming Warriors' new stadiums, which are all very local friendly.

Giants: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2002/oct/22/privately_built_pacific/
49ers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi%27s_Stadium
Warriors: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Warriors-to-build-new-arena-move-back-to-S-F-3575560.php

I just figured if it could be built in California, and especially the Bay Area, whose Byzantine red tape is pretty infamous(as the Raiders have found out the last 30 years), it could be built anywhere, but I guess I'm underestimating the stupidity of desperate politicians elsewhere.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

There are no Chargers fans in LA. There are barely any in San Diego.

I was going to make a joke about this, but then the joke I was formulating made me really sad.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

Probably a bit of both.

Also, extortion, a lot of people will loving hate a mayor that shits on their home town team's new stadium... especially because of the (very empty) threat of moving the team unless they're given favorable treatment.

Honestly it's a very low-risk decision by the politicians, they get the PR bump of throinw ghteir name in alongside a big, cool, development, and then they're gone (either retired or on to bigger and better) when the poo poo hits the fan. No one cares about the guy who builds a bridge, but the guy who keeps your football team in the town gets a hero's welcome.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So here's a thing http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/pro-sports/article/Oakland-Raiders-owner-in-talks-with-SA-to-5654812.php

quote:

SAN ANTONIO — Oakland Raiders owner Mark Davis and two top lieutenants met recently with several San Antonio officials to discuss the potential of moving his NFL team from the Bay Area to the Alamo City, sources familiar with the matter have confirmed.

On July 18, Davis met with the officials, including Henry Cisneros, then-Mayor Julián Castro, City Manager Sheryl Sculley, Mario Hernandez of the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation, and both Richard Perez and David McGee, the president and chairman of the San Antonio Chamber of Commerce, respectively.

San Antonio has often been used as a bargaining chip for pro sports franchises trying to negotiate better deals in their own respective cities, but sources have characterized Davis' interest in San Antonio to be at least somewhat more serious. He is clearly perturbed with his current situation in Oakland, where the team's lease expires after the 2014-15 season.

Cisneros, who led the charge to build the Alamodome when he was mayor, has been described by sources as the architect of the meeting.

Davis and his associates reportedly spent two or three days here, visiting the Alamodome and other places. They also took an aerial tour of the city in a helicopter, arranged by developer Marty Wender.

With some upgrades, the Alamodome could be ready for a 2015-16 NFL season, though it would be a temporary home at best. The city has set aside funds to add suites to the 21-year-old dome, now home to the University of Texas at San Antonio Roadrunners football team and the San Antonio Talons arena football team.

If the Raiders moved here, though, Davis is expected to seek a new stadium within a few years, after the team had proved itself in the Alamo City.

Davis told San Antonio civic and business leaders he isn't seeking a “Jerry Jones-type facility” and prefers “a small, intimate” stadium that he can place “a statue of his father in front of,” a source said.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Why the hell move to San Antonio before LA?

That makes zero sense. Has to be bullshit.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
A statue of Al Davis in front of a stadium in loving Texas.

That would be the most hilariously awkward thing

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Having lived in San Antonio, it would play out one of two ways.

1. Nobody would give a poo poo at all about the team because frankly nobody gives a poo poo about football in San Antonio. The most successful football team in the city is my D3 college. I didn't even see that much Cowboys paraphernalia while I was there. I'm guessing the Longhorns are probably the most popular team by a long shot, and they're not exactly competing with an NFL team for attention anyway.

OR

2. They would eat it up, like they have the Spurs. Everywhere in town during the NBA season (and beyond) it's "GO SPURS GO" on every sign, every flagpole, every place you look. My working theory was that it was just the only professional team in town so they had nothing to divide their attention. However, they've also been wildly successful for the past 15 years and I wasn't there prior to that so I don't know if it was like this prior to their success, so it's foolish to say with certainty that San Antonio would really embrace a football team the same way unless it immediately had success.

My gut tells me that #1 is a far more likely situation. Even the high school football games in town weren't all that well-attended. Of course, there were some outlying suburbs where they were more popular, but in general San Antonio doesn't seem to really care about football. They much more care about fútbol.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Safe Word posted:

My gut tells me that #1 is a far more likely situation. Even the high school football games in town weren't all that well-attended.

Everywhere else in the world this would mean absolutely nothing, but since it's Texas I do actually find this pretty worrisome.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Raiders twitter response:

@RAIDERS
Raiders Owner Mark Davis, "I was in San Antonio to honor Cliff Branch on his induction into the PVILCA..."

Former San Antonio Mayor Henry Cisneros is a friend, and Henry suggested I take the opportunity to meet with..."

"...with some of the city officials while we were in town. I have nothing further to discuss on the topic."

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

quote:

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 16m
More
Asked a league source what about #Raiders meeting in San Antonio. Was asked this: "What does Jerry Jones think? Or Bob McNair?" Big obstacle

As some one who just moved to Texas

PLEASE GOD

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm going to be living in SA and then Portland for the foreseeable future so I hope this is true and then it goes badly enough that they take a hail mary and move to Portland. :getin:

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Jerry Jones ain't gonna let it happen

quote:

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 5m
Jerry Jones on rumors of Raiders talking with San Antonio: I don't make a lot out of it.

quote:

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 4m
Jerry also mentioned how important San Antonio is to the Cowboys.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Calm down, it's just a bargaining chip v. both Oakland and to put pressure on Goodell to sweeten an LA deal/stadium. The NFL is way more invested in a team(or two, actually) going to LA than SA.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Exactly it's just leverage. The odds of a non expansion NFL team coming to San Antonio is slim

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

As some one who just moved to Texas

PLEASE GOD

Man, you just love it in the poo poo states, huh. I doubt it'll happen, but it wouldn't fit, IMO. San Antonio Raiders. Ick. At least we have some Al history in LA. Might as well rebrand them if you're moving to Texas, and gently caress that.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Man, you just love it in the poo poo states, huh. I doubt it'll happen, but it wouldn't fit, IMO. San Antonio Raiders. Ick. At least we have some Al history in LA. Might as well rebrand them if you're moving to Texas, and gently caress that.

Hopefully onto Denver in ~3 years :toot:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

Hopefully onto Denver in ~3 years :toot:

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

No Safe Word posted:

1. Nobody would give a poo poo at all about the team because frankly nobody gives a poo poo about football in San Antonio. The most successful football team in the city is my D3 college. I didn't even see that much Cowboys paraphernalia while I was there. I'm guessing the Longhorns are probably the most popular team by a long shot, and they're not exactly competing with an NFL team for attention anyway.

OR

2. They would eat it up, like they have the Spurs. Everywhere in town during the NBA season (and beyond) it's "GO SPURS GO" on every sign, every flagpole, every place you look. My working theory was that it was just the only professional team in town so they had nothing to divide their attention. However, they've also been wildly successful for the past 15 years and I wasn't there prior to that so I don't know if it was like this prior to their success, so it's foolish to say with certainty that San Antonio would really embrace a football team the same way unless it immediately had success.

My gut tells me that #1 is a far more likely situation. Even the high school football games in town weren't all that well-attended. Of course, there were some outlying suburbs where they were more popular, but in general San Antonio doesn't seem to really care about football. They much more care about fútbol.

It's #2. You think there's any city in Texas where people wouldn't show up for football? UTSA's a mid-major and has only been playing football for three years, but they're still drawing respectable crowds at the Alamodome. People here turn out for the NBA, you better believe they'll turn out for the loving NFL. All that new oil money has to go somewhere. San Antonio will love the hell out of anything that legitimizes the city. Plus, put a stadium in San Marcos or New Braunfels, and you're within 40 minutes of San Antonio and Austin.

Obviously the Raiders aren't moving to San Antonio, but it's not that much of a stretch to think the area could get a team in the next 20 years or so.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 30, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Frackie Robinson posted:

Obviously the Raiders aren't moving to San Antonio, but it's not that much of a stretch to think the area could get a team in the next 20 years or so.

:stonklol: yeah, that's what Angelenos have been saying for the past 20 years; at this point, it actually is too much of a stretch.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Furious Lobster posted:

:stonklol: yeah, that's what Angelenos have been saying for the past 20 years; at this point, it actually is too much of a stretch.

They already had their chance

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

No Safe Word posted:

OR

Do you actually live in San Antonio? Football is incredibly popular there. UTSA set some records for attendance for a first year program and the Cowboys might as well be from San Antonio when you look at the ratings they get in SA and the support in general.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

warcrimes posted:

I had no idea it was this bad in other places. I was going off the Giants', 49ers' and incoming Warriors' new stadiums, which are all very local friendly.

Giants: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2002/oct/22/privately_built_pacific/
49ers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi%27s_Stadium
Warriors: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Warriors-to-build-new-arena-move-back-to-S-F-3575560.php

I just figured if it could be built in California, and especially the Bay Area, whose Byzantine red tape is pretty infamous(as the Raiders have found out the last 30 years), it could be built anywhere, but I guess I'm underestimating the stupidity of desperate politicians elsewhere.

The SF deals are a total aberration in American sports. The Giants ballpark had to be privately financed because the city of SF was completely unwilling to use public funding. It was a miracle that a new ownership group came up with the cash and borrowing deal they did to get AT&T built. Ever since, every Bay Area team knows that if they want to build a stadium in SF, it's on them because the City isn't paying (and rightfully so). That's why the Niners are moving to Santa Clara whom are offering public money. The Warriors are likely moving to SF but they have Larry Ellison megabucks for the bankroll.

In general, public financing is a total sham and almost always hurts the city and its people. Kevin Draper, who blogs about the Warriors and the NBA, wrote a really nice piece reviewing public subsidization of private stadia. A quote:

quote:

...the caveats are much more important than the “successful” examples. Stadiums almost always fail to benefit the cities they are built in, and are a waste of public money. “Successful” stadiums must fulfill very specific criteria, like being built downtown in an already above average wealthy city. Even then, stadiums don’t have widespread benefits for their city, and the benefits to the neighborhood aren’t net for the city, but rather is entertainment spending that is redirected from a different area in the city. Finally, the successful arenas don’t actually use a lot of money, and/or are far exceeded by billions in private development.

Akbar fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 30, 2014

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Stadium's are a nice-to-have thing that can help with the happiness of the people who live in the area, as long as there aren't any major problems keeping the general population from achieving financial success.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
San Antonio isn't a stretch, it's the 2nd largest city in the state (behind Houston, yes the the complete Dalls/Ft. Worth Metro area is larger). Football would work there, absolutely.

But this is a stunt to light a fire under Oakland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Kibner posted:

Stadium's are a nice-to-have thing that can help with the happiness of the people who live in the area, as long as there aren't any major problems keeping the general population from achieving financial success.

Every community should have an arena that can hold concerts and the circus and Disney on ice or whatever. What they don't need is banks of luxery boxes that only put money in the hands of private ownership.

• Locked thread