Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

Sports bars in the greater LA area are like 70% angry people in Charles Woodson jerseys, 15% Rodgers or Favre Packers jerseys, and 15% everything else.

Your numbers seem a bit off. You need to carve off at least 5 percent of the everything else for disgruntled Chargers fans.

I could totally see the NFL fronting for a stadium in Los Angeles. I realize stadium building fucks over cities in general and the amount of bending over and taking it from the league to host a super bowl is ridiculous, but haven't they said actually hosting a super bowl does bring in a ton of money? And as the article says, just say gently caress it, put the pro bowl in Los Angeles?

And I realize everyone wants to host a loving super bowl but who cares if its fair or not. Just rotate the super bowl between a few cities like Los angeles, new orleans, and miami. Everyone is happy.

I also think that when people cite how many times teams have left Los Angeles, the way professional sports across America have changed so much. There is so much more money, so much more NFL, so much more everything. If a team came back to Los Angeles, I think they'd do very very well this time around. The amount of money that the NFL makes and the way all pro sports teams seem to be rising astronomically in value strengthen the equity in teams. I think a team in Los Angeles would be fun...granted, I live there. However, I think a downtown stadium makes the most sense rather than one way the gently caress out of the city, but my god, the traffic would be horrific. I'm just imagining the early part of the season where all the sports are crossing over one another. Oh there's a basketball game, a football game, and a baseball game! The 110 will be perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

warcrimes posted:

citation needed.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2012/09/if-you-build-it-they-might-not-come-the-risky-economics-of-sports-stadiums/260900/
http://www.thenation.com/article/162400/why-do-mayors-love-sports-stadiums
http://grantland.com/features/miami-marlins-fan-woes/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian/2013/01/27/miami-marlins-have-become-baseballs-most-expensive-stadium-disaster/
http://www.brookings.edu/research/articles/1997/06/summer-taxes-noll

I mean. I know I've read hard studies that assess long term impact of stadiums and the fact is cities bend over backwards with massive tax breaks and are often footing bills for billionaire owners. When I have more time I'll pull those up. But its pretty well documented that stadiums bring a brief boost in jobs during construction, but only bring in a small amount of actual jobs. They're often low paying and part time. Economic impact gets massively overstated when it gets weighed against the very nice terms that owners get in regards to actually footing any bills. Take a look at Detroits new hockey arena deal for an idea.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

AsInHowe posted:

If you've ever been to the Joe Louis Arena, you'd know that the city needs a replacement for many reasons. Also, by creating the many neighborhoods around the arena, Ilitch and various other landowners can put pressure on the city over things like "the city should figure out a way to calculate taxes" and "the water department should have an actual system for collecting payments".

And as an added bonus the city of Detroit is paying for 58 percent of the arena.

Detroit Free Press posted:

With a new hockey arena on track to open as early as the 2016-17 season, the agreement between the City of Detroit and the Red Wings will disappear, and with it about $7 million in revenue the city received annually from the team’s home games.

Under a new deal hashed out between representatives of the team’s owners, Mike and Marian Ilitch, and state and local development authorities, the Red Wings will no longer have to share 10% of ticket proceeds, 7% of suite sales, 10% of food and beverage concessions, 5% of souvenir sales and other revenue from parking. All of that money — estimated to be about $7 million annually — would belong to the Ilitches’ Olympia Development of Michigan when the team moves north of downtown into a proposed $450-million arena.

In addition, any future proceeds from the selling of naming rights to the new 18,000-seat arena would also go to Olympia Development.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Could Iowa support a team?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Pan handling has refined to the point where some panhandlers got famous. RIP bushman.

E: this is San Francisco that is.

• Locked thread