Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Chilichimp posted:

They've gotta be eyeballing it for the future, otherwise why would they give a poo poo about the rights? Just to be dicks?

They're in a great location and have one of the nicest parks in baseball. They're not moving anytime in the forseeable future. They're not budging because they want to keep the TV rights and all that to the San Jose area. And they probably would not be all that sad to have the A's leave for Portland or wherever so they could have all of Northern California to themselves (even though they're already the most popular team in the area by miles). This is all understandable from a pure business perspective, but like KJT said, it makes them look like huge assholes. The only reason they have those rights is that the A's generously gave them to them in a effort to keep two teams in the Bay. Ideally MLB will step in, but I'm not holding my breath.

I root for the A's but have no ties to Oakland (aside from visiting a couple times and genuinely liking it) so I really just want to see whatever is best for the franchise. I don't really care where they play, but the current stadium is a huge disadvantage (one that they are presently overcoming, but still a disadvantage). It's also just a straight up ugly place to see a baseball game ever since the rennovation added Mount Davis and completely ruined the view.

I would feel bad for Oakland if they lost the Raiders, but it's hard to see them actually getting a stadium deal done there, and LA would make a lot of sense. It seems pretty inevitable that they're going to get an NFL team at some point and the Raiders would be the best fit. They're the most popular team in the area by far so they'd already have an established fanbase, and with a decent stadium I think they could do really well. I'm not necessarily in a rush for LA to get a team or anything, but if someone is going to move here I hope it's them.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
You can get there and back in a day if you really push it but it's a gigantic pain in the rear end. It's like 6 hours not including traffic through LA. California is really big.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 18, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Volkerball posted:

You don't have to drive home drunk, you just have to make it to the gas station on the corner to sleep it off. :cmon:

This is a pretty good way to get a DUI.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

HappyHelmet posted:

Or... get a hotel room to sleep in, and take a taxi/walk to the game, and avoid driving drunk altogether.

You seriously don't get that this is like super inconvenient to do? Especially since games are on a Sunday.

Hey sorry your team moved, Oakland fans, but you can drive 6 hours (probably more like 7 or 8 with LA traffic), get a hotel, and miss work the next Monday while you drive back, so it's not really THAT big a deal.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

The caused them to move and led to the 2nd being that they moved to Anaheim which is an hour away from LA. I'm not surprised no one attended their games.

Even just Orange County has more people than St. Louis though.

That said I think the Raiders would work fine with a stadium that wasn't awful and smack in the middle of the shittiest part of LA.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 20, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

davecrazy posted:

I think it would be great if LA got a modern tiered stadium and those depression era shithole bowls got the wrecking ball.

The Rose Bowl is awesome, dumbass. :mad:

The Coliseum could get bulldozed tomorrow though.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Raider fans are here anyway.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Sports bars in the greater LA area are like 70% angry people in Charles Woodson jerseys, 15% Rodgers or Favre Packers jerseys, and 15% everything else.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Volkerball posted:

Qualcomm ain't that bad. You can hold out for another 20 years or so.

It's really bad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

soggybagel posted:

Your numbers seem a bit off. You need to carve off at least 5 percent of the everything else for disgruntled Chargers fans.

I almost never see Chargers fans and that includes attending an actual Chargers game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

warcrimes posted:

citation needed.

not really

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Zypher posted:

The best thing to be said about the Alamodome is that it's harmless.

It's really really weird for basketball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sash! posted:

I've heard the NHL uses a secret cabal of wizards to manage all that stuff.

Well that league is mostly Canadians. The issue in other sports is that it's been really hard for them to attract or retain free agents, although that wouldn't be as big an issue in the NFL with the way the cap is set up. There is still the issue of no one there caring about football

• Locked thread