Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

TL posted:

From what I've read about this, and as a disinterested observer (the Raiders and As could move to Tijuana for all i care), the group that comes across the most like assholes, to me at least, are the Giants. Not giving up the territory rights is a dick move considering how they got them in the first place.

Subtext: The Giants are planning on moving to San Jose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

That's not for real, right? They have a new stadium.

They've gotta be eyeballing it for the future, otherwise why would they give a poo poo about the rights? Just to be dicks?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

warcrimes posted:

Pretty sure it belongs to these guys

Where do their AA clubs play ball?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

When the NFL expands to Europe, they'll move to Italy and be the Tuscan Raiders.

:golfclap:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

The Raider fans are here anyway.

"If you build it... they will come"

Bowl of Dreams

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

football fuckerman posted:

Nobody is going to argue that new stadiums aren't great, but those terms are absolute poo poo for the city.

Detroit is a toilet, man. poo poo abounds within it's rusted bowl.

Nothing but love for you guys if you live in Detroit, I hope your city leaders can (if not turn it around) at least stop the loving bleeding.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

football fuckerman posted:

i see, that helps. now that i know detroit is bad, the terms of the stadium construction are OK.

I wasn't saying the contract wasn't poo poo because it's in a toilet, I said it's poo poo, and you shouldn't be surprised to find it in a toilet.

To the greater point... Atlanta is building the Goatse stadium currently, and the Braves are moving outside of the City also. We've got -two- big'ol toilet projects in the works. The Braves, however, were forced to move because the ball park they've been playing in is owned by the City of Atlanta and the Braves take such a huge hit in revenue paying the city for use of the field, that it actually hurts the teams payroll.

The Falcons? Not so much. Although Blank is footing the larger bill for building the stadium, the city is being forced to shell out probably at least as much on infrastructure improvements around the site. This is all being done so that A.) Blank can have another super-bowl in this town and B.) so that Blank can buy an MLS expansion team to share the new stadium with the Falcons.

You guys probably aren't familiar with mass transit in Atlanta, so here's a breakdown.

Within the city limits there are 2 highways, north/south and east/west.
There are 2 Marta lines, north/south and east/west.
The surface streets are a maze of one way nightmares laid out like a spiderweb with 15 different foci.

In short, any infrastructure improvements will be more like infrastructure band-aids. The last Superbowl in Atlanta was a nightmare because of how bad traffic was, and we've done nothing as a city to remedy that in 14 loving years... and Goatse Dome is being build literally right next door to the current Georgia Dome. Location, location, location.

Also, I'm not sure Blank has read anything about Atlanta sports enthusiasts, but by and large, they won't watch you if you're a mediocre ball club. I hope his MLS dreams start up quickly. I pretty much detest soccer as it's the only sport my parents would enroll me in as a kid, so I probably won't be going to those games anyway.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Hey look, the rare LA Chargers fan in his natural habitat.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

I can't decide if politicians forking over hundreds of millions for teams is due to stupidity or bribery.

Probably a bit of both.

Also, extortion, a lot of people will loving hate a mayor that shits on their home town team's new stadium... especially because of the (very empty) threat of moving the team unless they're given favorable treatment.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Kibner posted:

Stadium's are a nice-to-have thing that can help with the happiness of the people who live in the area, as long as there aren't any major problems keeping the general population from achieving financial success.

Man, you've played a lot of Civ.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

I think the real problem with an international franchise is not the game travel, it is living in another country. Look how much trouble the Toronto Raptors have and Toronto may as well be in America distance wise. It is the currency problems, exchange rate, tax issues, etc.

Yeah, man, like... 0 companies venture into international markets because currency exchange rates and regional taxation are a giant morass of numbers. :pseudo:

Risk vs Reward, baby... they've got great white sharks that jump out of the water and loving crocodiles in other counties.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Ribsauce posted:

drat the Supreme Court was right, companies and individuals are the same!

Sir, I rebut your snarkiness with the incomparable Captain Torpedo.

Ribsauce posted:

When IBM opens an office in Munich it doesn't ship an office full of people from Toledo there

edit
I thought about how the NHL does not have trouble, but under 20% of the league is American anyway (according to Google) so it is not really the same situation

Also, yeah, a lot of people form Toledo fly to Munich for week/months at a time while the office is ramping up, and likely dozens of people from America fly there every year to facilitate blahblahblahblahblahblah...

Football is going to be on TV in like 7 hours.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 3, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

rjmccall posted:

The NFL would never allow it. Washington's market has already had large chunks cleaved out of it over the last twenty years; putting a team in Richmond would shrink it to literally just DC. Meanwhile, the Richmond team would have a potential market of maybe 4-5 million people. Both markets would be tiny and full of transplants with pre-existing allegiances. Virginia is just not a big enough state to support two NFL teams.

Plus Richmond couldn't even get its poo poo together to keep its AAA team.

More obvious places to put another team include Los Angeles, Austin / San Antonio, Charleston, and Birmingham. You probably couldn't do both Charleston and Birmingham without pissing off Atlanta, though.

Oh, you could. I'm pretty sure almost no one gives a gently caress about the Falcons outside of Atlanta. The South is the citadel of College Football. I doubt a pro team could even catch on in Alabama because of the Crimson Tide.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

People watch and care about college ball because they have no pro team nearby. There, I said it. :colbert:

College ball fandom is too entrenched at this point. The Falcons aren't even the most popular football team in their state.

The NFL missed the boat by about 60 years on getting pro teams going all over the South. Of course back then, there really was only 1 city worth putting a team in.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

soggybagel posted:

Could Iowa support a team?

Corn stalks are pretty rigid, so, maybe.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Watt is basically the first coming of Clowney to the Houston residents.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I'm positing that the major difference between those places and the South is a long running tradition of fan loyalty to those teams along with the college teams. A new franchise in Mobile, for instance, would falter and almost certainly fail... people just won't follow it unless it's doing well. In like 40 years, though, who knows?

This is all bullshit, the Panthers/Texans/Jaguars are doing fine, although they were all a running joke for a while until they turned a corner. I'm just spewing poo poo that's all assumption, an Alabama pro-franchise might be more profitable than the Cowboys, who the gently caress knows... I seriously doubt Alabama or Mississippi ever get a pro football team.

Do either of them have a pro sports team of any of the big 4? NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL? I don't think they do.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 4, 2014

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Watt is a god drat super-hero.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

Guys he said NFL team, not MLB, come on. Everyone knows cardinals don't live in the desert.

Haha, yeah...

Wait, do you think the Arizona Cardinals are a baseball team?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
It's an up-armored steam boat, basically.

edit:

It was also a pretty loving rad movie.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Tailgating in an old naval weapons station sounds pretty badass.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Shame on you. I was there for the Monday Night Blackout Bowl against Pittsburgh.

So you're saying the Superbowl issue in the Superdome was normal for the Niners?

Also, I don't believe the Georgia Dome is as old as the last time Leperflesh went to Candlestick, and they're already tearing it down to build a new one.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Bort Bortles posted:

Well that is depressing (that they are all The Worst) because it means there is no escape :ohdear:

Say it with me now:

"I believe I can flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The crab I've had in coastal GA towns makes me not want to eat crab anymore.

Also, gently caress Michael Crabtree

• Locked thread