Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I don't really have a stake in the matter at all, but my viewpoint essentially boils down to: gently caress the SF Giants. The A's gave up the rights to San Jose to allow the Giants to potentially move there to stay in the Bay Area and not Tampa or wherever else they were rumored to be headed and then they didn't even end up using the rights to move to San Jose when they managed to get ATT Park approved and built. And now they are absolutely refusing to make even the smallest concession back to the A's to let them move to San Jose when they are both in an incredibly lovely situation in the Coliseum and San Jose is practically begging to build the stadium and let the A's in.

Not to mention that it fucks with any plans of the Raiders to do whatever with the Coliseum spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

No Safe Word posted:

Having lived in San Antonio, it would play out one of two ways.

1. Nobody would give a poo poo at all about the team because frankly nobody gives a poo poo about football in San Antonio. The most successful football team in the city is my D3 college. I didn't even see that much Cowboys paraphernalia while I was there. I'm guessing the Longhorns are probably the most popular team by a long shot, and they're not exactly competing with an NFL team for attention anyway.

OR

2. They would eat it up, like they have the Spurs. Everywhere in town during the NBA season (and beyond) it's "GO SPURS GO" on every sign, every flagpole, every place you look. My working theory was that it was just the only professional team in town so they had nothing to divide their attention. However, they've also been wildly successful for the past 15 years and I wasn't there prior to that so I don't know if it was like this prior to their success, so it's foolish to say with certainty that San Antonio would really embrace a football team the same way unless it immediately had success.

My gut tells me that #1 is a far more likely situation. Even the high school football games in town weren't all that well-attended. Of course, there were some outlying suburbs where they were more popular, but in general San Antonio doesn't seem to really care about football. They much more care about fútbol.

Do you actually live in San Antonio? Football is incredibly popular there. UTSA set some records for attendance for a first year program and the Cowboys might as well be from San Antonio when you look at the ratings they get in SA and the support in general.

• Locked thread