Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

warcrimes posted:

Sadly this really is the only solution. Oakland's politicians are a cesspit of special interest that would rather see the area continue to stagnate if it means they can't get their particular pockets lined. So, gently caress it, Oakland doesn't deserve a team(Warriors are leaving, too, GG East Bay).

It's also pretty idiotic that the NFL doesn't have a franchise in LA at all. The Raiders moving to LA(if they get a brand new stadium) is a win for everyone.

LA: Bastion of Deserving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

These passes are too accurate for Raiders.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Why doesn't anyone want the Oakland teams to stay in Oakland? I've never seen so many goons advocate taking something from impoverished minorities and giving it to rich white people.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

Having lived in San Antonio, it would play out one of two ways.

Having lived in San Antonio, it would play out one of two ways.

1. Nobody would give a poo poo at all about the team because frankly nobody gives a poo poo about football in San Antonio. The most successful football team in the city is my D3 college. I didn't even see that much Cowboys paraphernalia while I was there. I'm guessing the Longhorns are probably the most popular team by a long shot, and they're not exactly competing with an NFL team for attention anyway.

OR

2. They would eat it up, like they have the Spurs. Everywhere in town during the NBA season (and beyond) it's "GO SPURS GO" on every sign, every flagpole, every place you look. My working theory was that it was just the only professional team in town so they had nothing to divide their attention. However, they've also been wildly successful for the past 15 years and I wasn't there prior to that so I don't know if it was like this prior to their success, so it's foolish to say with certainty that San Antonio would really embrace a football team the same way unless it immediately had success.

My gut tells me that #1 is a far more likely situation. Even the high school football games in town weren't all that well-attended. Of course, there were some outlying suburbs where they were more popular, but in general San Antonio doesn't seem to really care about football. They much more care about fútbol.

It's #2. You think there's any city in Texas where people wouldn't show up for football? UTSA's a mid-major and has only been playing football for three years, but they're still drawing respectable crowds at the Alamodome. People here turn out for the NBA, you better believe they'll turn out for the loving NFL. All that new oil money has to go somewhere. San Antonio will love the hell out of anything that legitimizes the city. Plus, put a stadium in San Marcos or New Braunfels, and you're within 40 minutes of San Antonio and Austin.

Obviously the Raiders aren't moving to San Antonio, but it's not that much of a stretch to think the area could get a team in the next 20 years or so.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jul 30, 2014

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Furious Lobster posted:

:stonklol: yeah, that's what Angelenos have been saying for the past 20 years; at this point, it actually is too much of a stretch.

They already had their chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

ComposerGuy posted:

The Alamodome would need a major renovation before it was even considered. I'm in that thing once a year (for a drum corps international event) and it's fine for events that don't completely fill the place, but frankly it isn't designed to be full. Something would need to be done about parking (there's 2 major lots outside, and they get jammed even for a half-full event and there's nothing else really nearby except the convention center across the highway) and that turf would have to come out (it's awful at present). There aren't enough concession areas for the size, there aren't enough ways to get upstairs (there's like one escalator, 2 elevators and then just a bunch of regular stairs but no ramps) but it's got adequate restroom coverage, at least.

The main problem is just that it's just a loving ugly cement cavern on the inside. It's only 20 years old, but it's probably still too dated for NFL standards. I still think a stadium to the north would to be the long-term goal.

Bort Bortles posted:

Yeeesh 40 teams just sounds wrong.

Install relegation, problem solved :getin:

General Dog fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 31, 2014

• Locked thread