Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blitz7x posted:

There is an issue with demolishing the Coliseum, as it has not been paid off yet (who cares, it's a sunk cost at this point)

I had no clue this was true. Like...original costs from when it was built or have they done renovations at some point?

Agreed that it probably shouldn't matter if they could actually get a plan in place for new stadiums, but that sounds like a pipe dream itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Every little kid in the midwest dreams of playing there on January 1st.

I grew up in the midwest hoping to play in the Orange Bowl.

Which just proves that there's always something worse out there I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No Safe Word posted:

My gut tells me that #1 is a far more likely situation. Even the high school football games in town weren't all that well-attended.

Everywhere else in the world this would mean absolutely nothing, but since it's Texas I do actually find this pretty worrisome.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ribsauce posted:

edit
I thought about how the NHL does not have trouble, but under 20% of the league is American anyway (according to Google) so it is not really the same situation

I thought the NHL did have a fair amount of trouble and that was part of the reason why almost all the Canadian teams are bad, but I can't pretend to have any real idea what I'm talking about.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Leperflesh posted:

People watch and care about college ball because they have no pro team nearby. There, I said it. :colbert:

Saying a wrong thing out loud doesn't make it right all of a sudden.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Eh, you could say that about comparing Reggie White to a 3rd year player too, even though those three years have been pretty amazing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Random thing I just learned (or forgot and was reminded of) about Reggie White looking him up just now, he had 21 sacks in 12 games in 1987. That was the strike year but I don't think he broke the picket line to play against scabs if I'm reading things right.

Yeah in the end Watt is Watt and White was White.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
How did no one mention Las Vegas on the last page?

Sure it won't happen because the NFL likes to push away the idea that gambling has anything to do with the popularity of the sport but it seems a lot more likely than some of the places that were brought up.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Well, it's really dumb but we're talking Mark Davis here.

For whatever it's worth I do remember reading a bunch of stuff about how close Jerry was to Al, it's at least superficially believable. And again, Mark Davis.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I guess I was referring specifically to the highlighted part, which is way over the top and probably the writer purposely framing it that way more than anything. Although in the last decade it's hard to see where going to Jerry for advice on anything other than making money is worthwhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So, something is going on. Apparently there's a plan for a new stadium, maybe.

quote:

For months, Quan has been predicting that a broad agreement for a new Raiders stadium, costing $900 million to $1.2 billion, would be worked out by the summer's end.

Now, Zach Wasserman, an attorney representing backers of a hoped-for sports, housing and retail complex called Coliseum City, says the "basic terms" of a financial deal have been worked out among his group, the city's negotiators and the Raiders.

The idea is that the public wouldn't be on the hook for construction costs - those would be paid for by revenue generated by the project, the NFL and other private sources - but taxpayers would contribute the land and infrastructure improvements.

The city and county would also have to come up with the $120 million to pay off the Coliseum expansion that lured the Raiders back from Los Angeles. City and county taxpayers now pay $20 million a year in general-fund money for debt service.

Where would the $120 million come from? "That's a great question that we will probably not say anything about," Quan spokesman Sean Maher said - at least not until a deal is reached and made public.

Another big question is how the Oakland A's - who just signed a 10-year lease extension at the stadium that would be demolished - fit into the picture.

What do land and infrastructure improvements go for these days? I love the non-answer on the 120 million, 'Great question! Moving on,' and absolutely ignoring the A's.

• Locked thread