Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MourningView posted:

You seriously don't get that this is like super inconvenient to do? Especially since games are on a Sunday.

Hey sorry your team moved, Oakland fans, but you can drive 6 hours (probably more like 7 or 8 with LA traffic), get a hotel, and miss work the next Monday while you drive back, so it's not really THAT big a deal.

It's kind of a pain in the rear end when it's three hours away, let alone what's basically like "time to drive from Baltimore to Savannah now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Volkerball posted:

When the NFL expands to Europe, they'll move to Italy and be the Tuscan Raiders.

Well now they have to do it

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

football fuckerman posted:

The problem of LA is that it allows every team to hold its city hostage for favorable stadium construction and renovation terms so get a team to LA as soon as possible

There's dignity in losing a team to a major city. When the team says "we'll go to LA!" you're like "well we're not NYC or LA so how can we compete!"

It's more of an insult when a team threatens to decamp to places like San Antonio, Kansas City, or Portland. When its one of that tier you're like "our city is better than that place!"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

I still think it's intriguing when a city like Indianapolis makes a run at hosting and then ends up doing a fantastic job at it.

This is why I will always argue that the winner of last year's Super Bowl should host this year's Super Bowl.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

Detroit's new hockey arena is going to own and be a massive boon to the community

A boon to the community because it wanted a hockey arena, which is enough of a justification in my book. Its the city version of buying a ridiculously huge TV you don't really need.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The average NFL city has a metro population around three million, so NYC should have six teams.

I started to ponder the issue of where teams could go if they wanted to go up to 40 and all I can think is 1) San Antonio isn't bad, 2) Virginia Beach is probably wiser than Richmond, and 3) the South needs a city that's not Atlanta for a major city.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Who do I email my "London Blitz" team branding plans to?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

skaboomizzy posted:

Send them to me, I'm starting a firm specializing in image crafting for expansion teams. I'm presenting my proposal for the Hillsborough Crush to the FA in a few weeks.

You'd think this would be offensive, but we live in a world where the Atlanta Flames were a thing so here we are

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Its all fun and games until the first NFL team goes on defense and Polamalu accidentally kills the NCAA QB

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, man, like... 0 companies venture into international markets because currency exchange rates and regional taxation are a giant morass of numbers. :pseudo:

I've heard the NHL uses a secret cabal of wizards to manage all that stuff.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Ribsauce posted:

Richmond barely does (if it even does, I don't know).

Richmond is bigger than New Orleans and Buffalo and a hair smaller than San Diego and Jacksonville.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blitz7x posted:

Richmond also presumably has Norfolk/Virginia Beach

I'd just go right there in the first place. VA Beach has about 50% more people than Richmond and is closing in on 2 million fast. Sidesteps the whole "Richmond is too close to DC" thing.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Henchman of Santa posted:

Closing in on 2 million fast? Doesn't it have like 400,000?

The city, yes, the metro is like 1.8 million. Metro matters more than city. Fairfax, VA isn't even close to largest city in Virginia but Fairfax County has three times the population of the second most populous county. It's also twice as big as DC itself (DC's like 650,000). DC's a great example. More than half of DC's metro population isn't even in its side of the river. DC metro's just under 6 million and 3 million of them are in Northern Virginia.

rjmccall posted:

I object to all of Hampton Roads being called Virginia Beach. :mad:

Well you see no one outside of Virginia has ever heard of Hampton Roads. You go to, like, Chicago and say things like Hampton Roads and the Northern Neck and people got no idea what you're talking about.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Declan MacManus posted:

The Newport News Raiders is pretty thematically fitting

Tidewater Ironclads would sound awesome and have lots of logo options, but is way too...well obscure isn't the right word. People just don't know what an ironclad was.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You could put a second team in Pittsburgh, call them the Other Steelers, and have exactly the same uniforms except with the logo on the left side of the helmet. It would take about four weeks for there to be fights in the streets over which Steelers was better.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh is bigger than Charlotte, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Indianapolis, Nashville, Jacksonville, New Orleans, Buffalo, and Green Bay. Its only a few hundred thousand people smaller than Denver, Baltimore, St Louis, and Tampa.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MrLogan posted:

And panhandling. I get asked for money more often in any weekend in Pittsburgh than I do in DC in a month.

I was never asked for money once from 1986 to 2003 or 2007 to 2010.

I'm up to four today alone in DC.

Are you dressed like the monopoly guy because you might be asking for it

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

What happens the other two games?

Possum ate the pigeon in week 14

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sounds like the problem was thinking you could build just a 60 story building, let alone anything else, for $200 million, rather than some sort of political boogey man. You can't even build a subway station in Virginia for $200 million.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

computer parts posted:

I haven't been yet but hopefully they at least got rid of the piss troughs.

It's just not college ball without piss troughs.

Next thing you know they'll have us sitting in actual seats instead of allocating 14 inches bleacher to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

Just give them a hose and have everyone pee on the floor, there's a drain

I used to know someone that played football on a team that went on an exhibition tour of Italy in the 80s and he said one of the soccer stadiums they played in had a locker room with this feature a

• Locked thread