Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

As a Raiders/Warriors/A's fan I'd love to see this happen but I know TPTB in Oakland are all kinds of hosed up and it never will.

A move to LA(for the Raiders) would not bother me in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Bip Roberts posted:

Is Tijuana considered Padres' territory?

Pretty sure it belongs to these guys

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Chilichimp posted:

Where do their AA clubs play ball?

This place

Line-up included.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

The solution is to move them to LA

Sadly this really is the only solution. Oakland's politicians are a cesspit of special interest that would rather see the area continue to stagnate if it means they can't get their particular pockets lined. So, gently caress it, Oakland doesn't deserve a team(Warriors are leaving, too, GG East Bay).

It's also pretty idiotic that the NFL doesn't have a franchise in LA at all. The Raiders moving to LA(if they get a brand new stadium) is a win for everyone.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Bip Roberts posted:

Not gifting a stadium to Al Davis is literally a small cost for not having a NFL team.

:frogout:

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Kawalimus posted:

That was before football's popularity exploded like it did. It makes sense to give it one more try in that context.

Goodell will put two successful franchises in LA as a part of his "legacy". If that means paying off whoever in LA it takes and loaning the Raiders 200-300 million to facilitate the building of a new stadium, more power to him.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

japtor posted:

I feel bad for Oakland fans, for me it's more a matter of the city (local government) being seemingly dysfunctional about the whole thing. Not to say it's all on them or anything, but it just seems like it's all messed up. This sums up part of the issue:
http://www.sfgate.com/default/article/System-of-overseeing-Coliseum-must-change-5619112.php

It pretty much IS their fault.

Also, any of you masochists calling yourself Raider fans, NFL Network is featuring the AFC West's 2013 season in a series of 30-min highlight shows. Now normally I'd blow off watching that after a 4-12 season, but we beat the loving Steelers, so yeah, :getin:

e: The Raiders are on right now and again at 9pm PST.

warcrimes fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 23, 2014

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

30 minute loop of Keenan Allen hurdling a Bronco for a touchdown.

Chargers are starting right now.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

soggybagel posted:

I realize stadium building fucks over cities in general

citation needed.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I had no idea it was this bad in other places. I was going off the Giants', 49ers' and incoming Warriors' new stadiums, which are all very local friendly.

Giants: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2002/oct/22/privately_built_pacific/
49ers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Levi%27s_Stadium
Warriors: http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Warriors-to-build-new-arena-move-back-to-S-F-3575560.php

I just figured if it could be built in California, and especially the Bay Area, whose Byzantine red tape is pretty infamous(as the Raiders have found out the last 30 years), it could be built anywhere, but I guess I'm underestimating the stupidity of desperate politicians elsewhere.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Calm down, it's just a bargaining chip v. both Oakland and to put pressure on Goodell to sweeten an LA deal/stadium. The NFL is way more invested in a team(or two, actually) going to LA than SA.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

How did no one mention Las Vegas on the last page?

Sure it won't happen because the NFL likes to push away the idea that gambling has anything to do with the popularity of the sport but it seems a lot more likely than some of the places that were brought up.

The NFL(and more especially, the NBA or NHL) needs to get over that perception and the one that a pro team would be more susceptible to gambling scandals, it would be the exact opposite, actually. Vegas' population was around 2 million when I lived there. It would have no problem supporting a basketball/hockey team, if not football.

Chilichimp posted:

Haha, yeah...

Wait, do you think the Arizona Cardinals are a baseball team?

The Arizona Cactii would be awesome and their mascot would be loving amazing.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Good.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

Well, it's really dumb but we're talking Mark Davis here.

For whatever it's worth I do remember reading a bunch of stuff about how close Jerry was to Al, it's at least superficially believable. And again, Mark Davis.

Why is it dumb that Mark Davis is a topic of discussion in a sub about the Raiders possibly moving to LA? And yes, Al Davis and Jerry Jones were very close, Jones looked to Davis as a mentor when he first took over ownership of the Cowboys. Al was, after all, THE maverick sports team owner for 40+ years that Jones has tried to emulate(with varying degrees of success).

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Grittybeard posted:

I guess I was referring specifically to the highlighted part, which is way over the top and probably the writer purposely framing it that way more than anything. Although in the last decade it's hard to see where going to Jerry for advice on anything other than making money is worthwhile.

Okay, yeah, I agree, the general tone is a bit melodramatic, actually. I'm going to assume that since Mark has known Jerry since he was a young adult, it's more of a recent father figure/good friend of the family thing since Al died.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Blitz7x posted:

Yeah I highlighted the wrong part just for giggles, but the interesting part is how Jerry is pushing(helping) Davis towards LA

Why wouldn't he? A franchise in LA would be instantly worth north of $2b. When teams get sold, every owner gets a cut. It's in the NFL's best interest for numerous reasons to have at least one organization in LA, and the primary one is financial, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

That's loving awesome, wilford.

• Locked thread