Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I've heard the problem with Farmer's Field is AEG wants ownership in whatever team would move there. I can see that being a deal breaker for Davis since he wants to keep the team in the family.

Didn't Al already sell off like 49% of the team or something like that? If true even giving up a little of the team could mean Mark is no longer head of the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
The Raiders never should have left LA in the first place. LA struggled to support two teams, but one team would have been fine. LA isn't so far from Oakland that people can't continue to support them from there either.

It sucks about the A's getting dicked over like this though. The whole situation is a big mess from the sounds of it though.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

LA is really far from Oakland

It's still in California, and closer than the team would be if they moved to another state. I'd feel bad for the fans in Oakland, but it seems to me that it's the best option for the team given the circumstances.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

You don't have to drive home drunk, you just have to make it to the gas station on the corner to sleep it off. :cmon:

Or... get a hotel room to sleep in, and take a taxi/walk to the game, and avoid driving drunk altogether.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Frackie Robinson posted:

LA: Bastion of Deserving

Deserving is too much, but it's the 2nd largest media market in the USA. It's pretty weird that they don't have a team.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Bort Bortles posted:

Hah. I bet you can do it in the states without needing to go to London. Options, based on where teams currently are, would be
San Antonio
Oklahoma City
LA (x2?)
Vegas
Salt Lake City
Richmond
Raleigh
Hawaii
Portland (Oregon)
Birmingham
Little Rock
El Paso

ppppbbbbttttt probably a couple others? Half of those I listed are probably poo poo for one reason or another, though.

Yeeesh 40 teams just sounds wrong.

No way would Goodell/the owners would not take advantage of the international markets if the league made a move to 8 more teams.

Teams that would be moved:
Bills to Toronto
Raiders/Chargers to LA

Teams to be created:
Vancouver B.C.
Montreal
Mexico City
Berlin
London
San Antonio
Virginia Beach
Vegas/Salt Lake City/whatever city is willing to build a stadium.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

I've always wanted this. Take the top 8 BCS teams at the end of the season, and throw them in the NFL in the place of every team who finished last in their division. Then let Oregon try their poo poo against the Steelers and let the Browns play tune up games against Bumfuck U to try and stay undefeated. Same draft and NCAA rules apply, naturally.

The college teams would just get destroyed. No matter how much schadenfreude you might have towards one college team or another it would be completely uninteresting to watch as all the college teams lose 50+ - 3 every game.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

rjmccall posted:

More obvious places to put another team include Los Angeles, Austin / San Antonio, Charleston, and Birmingham. You probably couldn't do both Charleston and Birmingham without pissing off Atlanta, though.

Charleston metropolitan area doesn't even break a million people. Also there's a reason why they are called the Carolina Panthers instead of the North Carolina Panthers. They are meant to represent both states.

Birmingham is firmly entrenched in college football territory, and again your looking at a metropolitan area of around 1 million. There's bigger media markets for the NFL to move too.

It's never going to happen. Portland is somewhat notorious around here for not wanting to fund a large stadium, and any team would struggle to build a fanbase out of the apathetic hipsters who live around there. It's a wonder they even have an NBA team, and an even bigger wonder they have an MLS team (though I guess soccer is getting kinda popular with hipsters for the time being).

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Sacramento Raiders would actually make a lot of sense. Oakland fans can still get to games (it'll suck but it's straight up I-80), there's a big untapped market there, Sacramento has lots of room so I bet there's someplace you could plonk down a stadium, and it'd be thematically appropriate that our state's capital wears a pirate brand.

e. for example looking at google maps, there's lots of unused open flat space next to Raley Field, which is on the river, right next to freeways, etc.

I don't know if Sacramento could really support a NFL team. When I was still there the Kings had positively abysmal attendance to games, and no one cared at all.

There are quite a few "Raiders" fans there, but talking with them I always got the sense they were more interested in Raiders merchandise as a fashion statement than actually caring about the team. It might be an idea if they can pull it off though, and would be better for Oakland Raiders fans than the team moving to LA.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah I mean I haven't seen a single place where anyone has suggested a move to Sacramento, so it's not likely. I just think it could possibly work.

The Kings don't have a big following in Sacramento, that's true, but the Raiders come with a built-in audience in the bay area and it'd be a shame to lose them (I'm talking broadcast rights, not just physical game attendees). Adding the entire sacramento metro area for broadcast rights would help to reduce the sting of losing the stadium in the bay area.

The Kings I think have a tough time competing for eyeballs with the Warriors, but apparently they were just sold last year for a record amount of money and apparently they're going to build a new stadium? Imagine a combo park similar to Oakland, with an indoor basketball arena and outdoor football stadium. That would be cool.

To be fair the main reason people didn't follow the Kings was because they sucked pretty hard (at least when I was living there ~4 years ago). If you had a winning team like the... *cough*Raiders*cough*. Things might be different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Rasczak posted:

JJ is one of the most successful owners in the league when it comes to everything that isn't personnel decisions, so the takeaway is to follow his business advice but also hire a GM

Yeah, dude may be bad at managing personnel, but I imagine he knows his poo poo about the business end of things.

• Locked thread