Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Wiggy Marie posted:

Why are you arguing this particular point? Is it impossible for an adaptation into a completely different medium to carry a different intention than the original work?

Anyway, here you go:

By that September, Fox had already locked up movie rights, and in December, Flynn found herself in a room eating sushi and discussing the story and its satirical skewering of the media with Fincher.

And here's a fun Rolling Stone interview where she discusses the parts of media and relationships she wanted to pick apart in her story.

It appears the satire was there all along.

Found some cool articles and interviews as a result of this search, so thanks for the inspiration :)

Naw. Dystram meant something else all along. You couldn't tell because all you had to go on were his posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Wiggy Marie posted:

Why are you arguing this particular point? Is it impossible for an adaptation into a completely different medium to carry a different intention than the original work?

Anyway, here you go:

By that September, Fox had already locked up movie rights, and in December, Flynn found herself in a room eating sushi and discussing the story and its satirical skewering of the media with Fincher.

And here's a fun Rolling Stone interview where she discusses the parts of media and relationships she wanted to pick apart in her story.

Found some cool articles and interviews as a result of this search, so thanks for the inspiration :)

Anytime. :D

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This is embarrassing.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Dystram posted:

yeah because death of the author bullshit is just that, bullshit

Okay so if you don't even understand basic poo poo then this discussion is pointless I guess.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
He doesn't want a discussion, he's trolling and we bit.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Dystram posted:

Probably because they enjoyed the book but would rather not be caught liking best selling dumb poo poo so they turn it into faux intellectual satire. Soz bro. :)

I don't give half a gently caress about liking best selling dumb poo poo, I happily read Lee Child and Nelson DeMille right alongside Pynchon and David Foster Wallace. I still saw satirical elements in Gone Girl, specifically the way it takes MRA talking points and turns them on their head to show that even if they were true, it wouldn't give someone like Amy any meaningful power in society beyond manipulation of a few people.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

SALT CURES HAM posted:

I don't give half a gently caress about liking best selling dumb poo poo, I happily read Lee Child and Nelson DeMille right alongside Pynchon and David Foster Wallace. I still saw satirical elements in Gone Girl, specifically the way it takes MRA talking points and turns them on their head to show that even if they were true, it wouldn't give someone like Amy any meaningful power in society beyond manipulation of a few people.

More like manipulation of the public, the media, the FBI, Nick, and so on. More like manipulation of everyone.

There have been a few media spectacles the last few years that show pretty girls are tough to convict for murder and that they're the most important missing persons ever.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Dystram posted:

More like manipulation of the public, the media, the FBI, Nick, and so on. More like manipulation of everyone.

There have been a few media spectacles the last few years that show pretty girls are tough to convict for murder and that they're the most important missing persons ever.

But where does this leave her? Exactly where she started, minus two potential outs (Desi's dead and if she disappeared again, people would see through it) and with an extra tie to Nick.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

SALT CURES HAM posted:

But where does this leave her? Exactly where she started, minus two potential outs (Desi's dead and if she disappeared again, people would see through it) and with an extra tie to Nick.

I'm sure someone with her skill in manipulation could figure out something.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
But she did figure out something, and it did exactly dick for her.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

SALT CURES HAM posted:

But she did figure out something, and it did exactly dick for her.

She has all the power in the end.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Nick isn't forced to stay with Amy at all. He wants to and thrives on the lie as much as she does, and the baby is just the excuse that lets him justify it to himself.

Boney honestly could sink Amy with Nick's collaboration at this point. But it's no longer what he wants.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I really liked this movie. I loved how the information you were given was tainted. I loved that the bad guy was, but not, but yes it was, the one you thought. Excellent perfomances by Rosamund Pike, and also Ben Affleck imo. Also NPH was great in his tiny role. I can't say anything bad tbh.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Nick isn't forced to stay with Amy at all. He wants to and thrives on the lie as much as she does, and the baby is just the excuse that lets him justify it to himself.

Boney honestly could sink Amy with Nick's collaboration at this point. But it's no longer what he wants.

I agree that he buys into it, for sure.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also I am sure this has been said countless times in this thread, but just the basic subversion with the woman being the bad guy, but not doing it in a lovely crap way, I loved it.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Snapchat A Titty posted:

Also I am sure this has been said countless times in this thread, but just the basic subversion with the woman being the bad guy, but not doing it in a lovely crap way, I loved it.

I kind of liked that until it became too much of a supervillain level of manipulation.

Anyway, just saw the movie, I really liked it. I specially enjoyed the supporting cast, from the creepy judgmental cop, the detective, Dunne's sister, even Tyler Perry was pretty good.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
What's great about the film is how deeply it's influenced. Even 10 minutes into the movie, things like "He's playing the Game of Life with his sister and stops so he can add another peg into his car", the first kiss/swab cut, and the mechanical dog. (Because that's what both of them want from the relationship, and when they go on TV as a married couple, they get a matching cat).

People who complain that her first crime is too perfect completely ignore how she hosed up her next crime, and then had to take months to do a final, semi-successful one.

Fruity Rudy
Oct 8, 2008

Taste The Rainbow!

Wiggy Marie posted:

David Fincher sums it all up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGtVthP1b2Q

verdigris murder
Jul 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

James Hardon posted:

Fincher's work has been a huge part of my life since my teens. Fight Club had a big impact on me and showed me how fake and corrupt our modern consumerist society is and also that the Pixies are sick and I still lol at the dick pics getting spliced into movies part. As I matured and took an Intro to Women's Studies elective freshman year of college I learned about feminism and what I learned gave me a lot of material for my blog when The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo remake hit theaters a few years ago. Oh yeah The Social Network was cool too. "I'm CEO, bitch!" :hellyeah:
Still a tract of excellent words.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In the commentary, Fincher tells a story about how Affleck wouldn't wear a Yankees cap when he's at the airport flying back from New York after meeting with Tyler Perry. Fincher says that Affleck was not a very professional actor because he held up production for 4 days.

Affleck tells the same story to the New York Times but didn't include the lurid details, and apparently Fincher and Affleck are friends now.

Did Affleck really hold up production for 4 days? Does Fincher really think Affleck is unprofessional?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
A dumb nerd like Fincher could never understand why a Boston Red Sox fan would never wear a Yankees hat, make believe pretend version or not. I'm with Affleck on that one, choose a different hat for the guy you ignorant nerd.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

maniacripper posted:

A dumb nerd like Fincher could never understand why a Boston Red Sox fan would never wear a Yankees hat, make believe pretend version or not. I'm with Affleck on that one, choose a different hat for the guy you ignorant nerd.
Really, we should blame rappers for turning the Yankees cap into the de facto symbol of New York.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Actors are stupid and hopefully robots will replace them in the near future.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Really, I was expecting a murder-suicide at the end of the movie. Like that one guy did in Florida, I think.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

maniacripper posted:

Affleck is comfortable pretend-beating a woman in this movie but wearing a hat is the WORST

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it's just the inverse of Scorsese not being able to get Jack Nicholson to wear a Red Sox hat in the Departed.

Eb
May 6, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

In the commentary, Fincher tells a story about how Affleck wouldn't wear a Yankees cap when he's at the airport flying back from New York after meeting with Tyler Perry. Fincher says that Affleck was not a very professional actor because he held up production for 4 days.

Affleck tells the same story to the New York Times but didn't include the lurid details, and apparently Fincher and Affleck are friends now.

Did Affleck really hold up production for 4 days? Does Fincher really think Affleck is unprofessional?
Fincher is a funny guy. When I heard the commentary I assumed the 4 days thing was a (dry) joke. I mean it would have to be, right?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Enjoyed this enough that I'm actually watching it for the second time today. Glad I wasn't the only one to invoke The Last Seduction, another movie about a cruel, manipulative woman who takes advantage of how guys view her to get what she wants. (Naturally, Linda Fiorentino has been branded a bitch before.) I don't see either film as misogynistic, they're just acutely aware of how much more harshly women are judged when they're the bad guy and take advantage of it to make us uncomfortable. It's more polished and more soapy, but that only makes me like it that much more.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Also, the casting in this movie is across-the-board hilarious. Affleck as the dull Midwestern hunk, Tyler Perry as the master manipulator of stereotypes, Emily Ratajkowski as ditz-with-big-tits, NPH as creepy rich bachelor...

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Eb posted:

Fincher is a funny guy. When I heard the commentary I assumed the 4 days thing was a (dry) joke. I mean it would have to be, right?

Yeah, if you've never listened to the commentary for Fight Club, it's pretty funny. Partly because of the dialogue between Norton, Pitt, and Fincher. Partly because they splice in Helena Bonham-Carter's comments very blatantly.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

maniacripper posted:

Sport is loving stupid.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Sport is loving stupid.

actually, it's pretty cool

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Eb posted:

You would think so. Hell, I thought the story itself was a joke. But in the news pieces where Affleck corroborates the story, it's said that Affleck held up production. And Fincher names Affleck's agent in his commentary.

What is real? :psyduck:

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
God drat this movie was good. Its cinematic mastery is only matched by the delightful fury of feminist criticism directed towards it.

edit: Tyler Perry was amazing in it

oswald ownenstein fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 5, 2015

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Meh.

It was ok.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I didn't expect the movie to take such a darkly comedic turn, and also did not expect Rosamund Pike to turn into Jennifer Aniston.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Golden Bee posted:

...the first kiss/swab cut...

Holy poo poo that was one of the best scene transitions I've seen in a long time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Whoever said that the post-it note(s) that sunnily ask 'Kill self?' is the best moment of dark comedy this year is spot loving on. I'd put one up in my cubicle at work if it wouldn't warrant a call from HR.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Saw this on Tumblr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I said come in! posted:

Saw this on Tumblr.

This was actually commissioned by the studio to help advertise for the film. I'm not sure if it is still the case, but you could buy the "Amazing Amy Collection" on Amazon, which included a few short stories and illustrations from the fictional series. I think a few illustrations end up in the background,, most notably at the release of "Amy's Big Day."

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 21, 2015

• Locked thread