Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

MeinPanzer posted:

The problem I have with this response is that while every character ends up looking bad (except for the sister, I guess), the movie really presents Nick as the protagonist, and after the point where he confesses his infidelity, he pretty much just becomes a sympathetic character, while Amy becomes a full-on psycho bitch stereotype. And while both of them have negative characteristics, you can't seriously tell me that as the audience we aren't expected to consider the guy having an affair because his marriage sucks to be equal to the woman who spends months (years?) trying to frame her husband for murder with an elaborate, drawn out plan so that he'll get executed. The way the two characters are represented are just so categorically different that I really can't believe that most of the audience left the theatre saying, "you know what? They were both equally bad."

Plus, when at a time like this you're including plot devices like repeated false accusations of rape and a woman stealing a man's semen to impregnate herself as a punishment against him, you have to have some tact. These are not just dramatic plot points but harmful stereotypes that are still pervasive and have really set women back. These motifs are not even in the same ballpark of severity as "husband has sex with young female student."

For what it's worth, in the source material it's exactly like that, and it's the reason some people (myself included) thought the quality takes a huge nosedive after it's revealed Amy is alive. It's douche versus psychopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yoshifan823 posted:

Weirdly, I didn't buy the dude who got fake-rape-accused, at least not entirely. I mean, I dont doubt the event happened, but clearly you only get one side of that story, and the other dudes Amy fucks with are seen from an objective point of view, rather than telling their own story. I'm sure if we just heard Desi's side of the story, he'd seem pretty sympathetic too.

The book mentions a few other times where Amy has spent a lot of time enacting a hugely disproportionate revenge on someone she didn't like (she spends a year getting a truck driver fired because he cut her off in traffic). I'm not sure if they cut that because they felt it was redundant, or because removing it made her character slightly more ambiguous.

• Locked thread