Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

resurgam40 posted:

Because Nick Dunn is not sympathetic. At all. Ever. He breathes insincerity and is just as fake as Amy, even more so, maybe. People say that Amy embodies the "psycho bitch" stereotype, the great fear everywhere that women are just evil sluts using men to get what they want, and while that is somewhat true (and probable intentional), Nick is a stereotype too. If Amy is the Psycho Bitch (tm), Nick is the Nice Guy (tm), the oh-so-sweet fellow that plies you at a party and sweeps you off your feet with kindness, but all in service to get sex, to get good food, to get clean sheets... to get a wife. In Nicks, case, he gets all that, and money; for videogames, for a new house, for a bar. You can see his gift giving in the very beginning and know the kind of man he is: he gets his sister a board game she never liked (but he did, and it gets added to his bar anyway) and gets his wife a kite, because she's "never flown a kite before." Classic Nice Guy behavior: doing what he wants to do (move back home get a house, get a bar) while telling others and himself that it's for her sake. You get the very distinct impression that people don't really mean much to him; he pays more attention to his cat than any other human! He's revealed to everyone as a lying, cheating scumfuck, but while Amy has to go on the run and deal with thieves and creepy rapey ex boyfriends, Nick gets some help from a lawyer, has a loyal sister who looks out for him, avoids jail time and is treated even by the audience as a kind of hero! Isn't that interesting that a woman gets punished for playing to a stereotype and a man gets rewarded for doing the same, even by the audience members? Funny, that.

I mean, I think being mildly obnoxious is on an entirely different level from going out of your way to ruin people's lives and murdering someone during sex, then continuing to gently caress him while he bleeds out. Maybe that's just me, though.

Like, he's at 0.1 megahitlers on the rear end in a top hat scale whereas she's easily at 2 or 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, I'm going to drag you from the only life you've ever known, put down roots in a place you're completely unfamiliar with, and suck up what little money you have to your name in the process. And I'm going to use you like a cumrag and also bang someone twenty years younger. But you'll get over it because it's only "mildly obnoxious."

Your point is your point, a murderous psychopath is worse than a selfish toolbox. But let's not pretend that he didn't have her under his own form of oppression, and he gets away with it on pure charisma.

I mean, all of that's bad, but it just makes him a douche, not a monster.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

resurgam40 posted:

Look, guys, I've seen a few pieces of "misogynist" media in which I am meant to hate the overbearing shrew/ monstrous psycho-bitch for the taking advantage/killing of the poor widdle nice guy, but I usually never feel that way, and applaud the woman for improving her station. When the deck is so heavily stacked against women as it has been in nearly all of history, is it really so wrong for a girl to do what she can to get ahead? When all society is based on lies and manipulation, (as this movie claims society and marriage for appearance is), why is a woman who learns how to game the system a bitch while a man is "just a decent guy doing what he has to?"

BECAUSE MURDERING PEOPLE IS GENERALLY A VERY VERY lovely THING TO DO AND YOU ARE A HORRIBLY BROKEN PERSON

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

FBI legit would let people go if it would be hard to prove their guilty, cause a huge media backlash, and harm the organization in some way.

The media would eat up Amazing Amy playing them for fools though so they the FBI would be 100% with going after her.

But that's exactly why they wouldn't do it, for the reason you just said. Amazing Amy played them for fools, so instead of telling everybody they got played for fools, they quietly let the whole thing go.

It's not that they necessarily buy it, it's that going along with it keeps their image intact. The movie's all about image and people going against reality to manipulate how society views them.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Dystram posted:

Probably because they enjoyed the book but would rather not be caught liking best selling dumb poo poo so they turn it into faux intellectual satire. Soz bro. :)

I don't give half a gently caress about liking best selling dumb poo poo, I happily read Lee Child and Nelson DeMille right alongside Pynchon and David Foster Wallace. I still saw satirical elements in Gone Girl, specifically the way it takes MRA talking points and turns them on their head to show that even if they were true, it wouldn't give someone like Amy any meaningful power in society beyond manipulation of a few people.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Dystram posted:

More like manipulation of the public, the media, the FBI, Nick, and so on. More like manipulation of everyone.

There have been a few media spectacles the last few years that show pretty girls are tough to convict for murder and that they're the most important missing persons ever.

But where does this leave her? Exactly where she started, minus two potential outs (Desi's dead and if she disappeared again, people would see through it) and with an extra tie to Nick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
But she did figure out something, and it did exactly dick for her.

• Locked thread