Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Randler posted:

Wouldn't a fast metabolism be easier for building muscles (faster regeneration) or am I missing something? :confused:

Increased muscle mass does burn more calories but it's a pretty trivial amount. Faster/slower metabolism is largely an over emphasized myth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ChairMaster posted:

Yea walking is good for you but you're never gonna lose any weight doing it. Or at least I'm not.

Well, you're not going to regardless for most cardio that's not involving training at competition levels. You exercise for general health and fitness.

To lose weight, you eat less calories than you use. That's the simple explanation. It's not much more complicated.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

One thing I've thought about quite a bit in spending time with my dad and my sister's (now deceased) father-in-law is that I wish there was a gentle, progressive, social exercise option for older overweight dudes. I guess there is always golf, but for guys who aren't into golf or don't enjoy the outdoors there's a vacuum. Whereas their wives are going off to Zumba or mallwalk or water aerobics. Some sort of reduced impact, carefully programmed offshoot of CrossFit with less "hardcore" branding would probably be ideal.

Lifting weights at a decent gym with a good personal trainer works really really well for improving quality of life. You have to disabuse yourself of the notion that you're going to get strong or "bulky" or any of that other nonsense. You're an older guy and it's time to do some dad lifting so you don't wreck yourself trying to shift boxes around or doing other mundane tasks in the future. I know a couple men in their older years who have snapped their biceps after a day of picking up boxes and poo poo. No thanks, it's a horrible injury and I don't want to be like them. Instead, I'd rather be like Jack Lalanne.

Dadlifting means that you start very very small. Don't worry about upping your numbers right away, make sure you have good form and that you have adequate rest days in between lift days. You will build strength and such over time but don't expect any of that to happen very soon. Instead, just getting into the habit of going somewhere and making your body do something physical is an excellent way to spend a few hours a week. Oh sure, there are loads of young bucks in there grunting and straining to lift ALL THE PLATES but so what? I've found a bunch of really encouraging dudes who cheer me on even if I'm lifting the girly inflatable weights (I like the pink ones best). I'm there and I'm lifting, that's what matters.

Our bodies are meant to move so give them a chance to do so once in a while. Feels good man.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I wouldnt want to tangle with the oldest dudes in my gym, they are to a man all grizzly bald badasses and strong as gently caress.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

ChairMaster posted:

Yea walking is good for you but you're never gonna lose any weight doing it. Or at least I'm not.

Yea pretty much. I'm not actually doing the fun fat things either though so here I am eating healthy but unable to manage the willpower to do high heart-rate cardio and staying fat without ever getting to eat ice cream and pizza every single day like I would if it wouldn't kill me.

There are many people who have lost a ton of weight with walking as their only exercise but also with control of their food intake. It sounds like you either have an issue with volume eating or with eating well most of the time but going off the rails in a big way less frequently (a very familiar to me pattern) . Either way, if that is something you want to address in life it would be for the best to engage an appropriate professional, whether that's a dietician or a mental health expert. If it's something you can't or don't want to address for whatever personal reason, at least please consider walking for your own well being.

I've tried to suggest this, too. The fact is, for a lot of older guys lifting is just a thing young guys do to look better, and they'd feel uncomfortable and self-conscious doing it. Particularly if no other guys in their social circle are into it. Something that is more of a social occasion with other guys like themselves would have a better chance of succeeding with more people, I think.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I've tried to suggest this, too. The fact is, for a lot of older guys lifting is just a thing young guys do to look better, and they'd feel uncomfortable and self-conscious doing it. Particularly if no other guys in their social circle are into it. Something that is more of a social occasion with other guys like themselves would have a better chance of succeeding with more people, I think.

This is really weird, but I get it. I think as people become more health conscious they'll probably come around to it, since fitness does seem to be gaining wider acceptance. My father (in his 60s) goes to the gym a few times a week, and he seems to know some of the other old guys who regularly go, and he does the same circuit every time. While he's by no means bulking up, it definitely helps keep him healthy and limber.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
There's walking and there's walking. An hour on a treadmill is a very different animal than an hour long hike over rough mountain terrain. The latter is also infinitely more rewarding, because you get to experience the landscape and nature, see cool poo poo, explore and get a great sense of achievement when you reach the top of a mountain or whatever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Do you like listening to music? I use my workout as the time I get to listen to music without distractions like "work" or having to concentrate on anything else.

Jon Leibowitz
Feb 11, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Something that is more of a social occasion with other guys like themselves would have a better chance of succeeding with more people, I think.

There's bowling.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Fatkraken posted:

There's walking and there's walking. An hour on a treadmill is a very different animal than an hour long hike over rough mountain terrain. The latter is also infinitely more rewarding, because you get to experience the landscape and nature, see cool poo poo, explore and get a great sense of achievement when you reach the top of a mountain or whatever.

Oh god shut up we're going to get runupon cracker in here with his treadmill incline science.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jon Leibowitz posted:

There's bowling.

I've only been bowling like a couple times as a little kid, but it doesn't seem like you'd get a whole lot of exercise from it. Like maybe a bit from throwing the ball but not much.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

ChairMaster posted:

I've only been bowling like a couple times as a little kid, but it doesn't seem like you'd get a whole lot of exercise from it. Like maybe a bit from throwing the ball but not much.

Slug a twelve pound weight around for an hour or so and see how you feel. Your arms and hips are gonna *burn*. It's definitely better than nothing and there's beer and good company at most bowling alleys. It's a good time for sure.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Bowling is a good time, but it's definitely not exercise. There's a reason bowling is a fat man's sport.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

CuddleChunks posted:

Slug a twelve pound weight around for an hour or so and see how you feel. Your arms and hips are gonna *burn*. It's definitely better than nothing and there's beer and good company at most bowling alleys. It's a good time for sure.

It's not good exercise, there's rarely good beer and rarely good company

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Oh god shut up we're going to get runupon cracker in here with his treadmill incline science.
Did somebody say "incline"???

:science:

Just kidding. I agree with Fatkraken. Actual hiking is awesome... if you can do it. Some people can't. Do what you can do, that challenges you, and that you enjoy, and you'll be far ahead of the vast majority of the population. Just move.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Taima posted:

It's not good exercise, there's rarely good beer and rarely good company

I'm sorry for your failbowls, bro.

Hell, if you're looking for something to do at home where no one can see or judge you that gets you moving around you can hit up youtube for an endless array of body motion videos. Pick whichever shrieking Fury you prefer to motivate you to move around for a few minutes. Don't want to do that? Bodyweight exercises require no equipment and for folks that are massively corpulent you can start there and build up confidence in yourself before joining a gym or heading to a pool or whatever.

Diet and exercise, diet and exercise. It's sad that these two words have gotten such a bad rap in our country but they are the keys to getting back to some basic level of fitness.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Pinky Artichoke posted:

There are many people who have lost a ton of weight with walking as their only exercise but also with control of their food intake. It sounds like you either have an issue with volume eating or with eating well most of the time but going off the rails in a big way less frequently (a very familiar to me pattern) . Either way, if that is something you want to address in life it would be for the best to engage an appropriate professional, whether that's a dietician or a mental health expert. If it's something you can't or don't want to address for whatever personal reason, at least please consider walking for your own well being.

What stabilized my weight was grocery shopping with meals in mind rather than just buying a ton of poo poo and building whatever with it. Also cutting down my pasta intake to once a week. I could eat nothing but various pasta dishes all day every day and love every second of it. But I'd also be wiping my rear end with a stick if I did so.

I'm still fat, but I can still see my dick, still wipe my rear end, and still fit in coach airline seats semi comfortably (My shoulders are the problem here, not my gut).

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 17, 2014

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

Nobody gets sore or develops DOMS from bloody bowling for God's sake. It's not even remotely energetic. I probably work up more of a sweat tidying a room than playing bowling for hours. It is fun though and people who are depressed because they're fat would do well to get out and about and have a bit of fun.

joxxuh
May 20, 2011
So is this still supposed to be a safe space for fat people to post, or is it officially another exercise thread?

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

joxxuh posted:

So is this still supposed to be a safe space for fat people to post, or is it officially another exercise thread?

Edit: Nevermind, that was a mean joke.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Rhymenoserous posted:

I'm still fat, but I can still see my dick, still wipe my rear end, and still fit in coach airline seats semi comfortably (My shoulders are the problem here, not my gut).

Because I'm a comparatively small person -- I have broad shoulders for a lady of 5'1", but that's still not that big compared to taller women or men of any size -- even at my heaviest I fit into coach airline seats if I was mindful not to just let my thighs slack into neighboring seats (which is a courtesy plenty of perfectly normal sized people also need to learn). However I can't remember a single trip from like age 16 to today when I didn't feel like my shoulders barely fit into my seat, even when I was normal weight myself. It's like when the seats started to get small in the early 90s they somehow forgot that shoulder blades exist and everybody has them. The only people I've ever seen who looked comfortable in a coach seat were children, tiny adults, and inconsiderate assholes.

Anyway, I feel like this is another area where the emotional impact on fat people is out of proportion to the actual problem. Since "fat people on airplanes, amirite?" is such a widespread and well-accepted commentary -- never mind there are a wide variety of inconsiderate people on airplanes, and I think most people if asked in private would probably prefer a well-dressed, polite fat person to some of the intrusive, trashy bullshit that occurs -- we get on the plane expecting to cause trouble for people. Then we walk down the aisle and see all the "oh god not here" faces on our fellow passengers. Then we get to the actual seat, and even if you fit about as well as any other human, you feel too big because the seats are ludicrous and you know everyone expects you to be a problem. Meanwhile, if you were just some guy who is broad but either fit/slender or oblivious, presumably you blame the seat and get on with your life even if you are forced to slightly inconvenience people around you.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

CuddleChunks posted:

Slug a twelve pound weight around for an hour or so and see how you feel. Your arms and hips are gonna *burn*

If you are a 12 year old girl, yes.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Pinky Artichoke posted:

It's like when the seats started to get small in the early 90s they somehow forgot that shoulder blades exist and everybody has them. The only people I've ever seen who looked comfortable in a coach seat were children, tiny adults, and inconsiderate assholes.

That's a good point. I think a lot of people just don't want to complain if things aren't terribly comfy on a plane because they don't fly very often and when they do they figure it isn't a big deal for a few hours in the air. It's still frustrating that despite all the physical changes that have happened to two thirds of American adults you still have narrow seats being the norm on airlines. It makes flying pretty awful if you don't fit.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

joxxuh posted:

Still a safe place. If the exercise poo poo gets too bad we'll flag a mod- I'm down with some discussion but anything that's going into the territory of "you should do X Y and Z to lose weight! It's easy!" belongs in YLLS and not here.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CuddleChunks posted:

That's a good point. I think a lot of people just don't want to complain if things aren't terribly comfy on a plane because they don't fly very often and when they do they figure it isn't a big deal for a few hours in the air. It's still frustrating that despite all the physical changes that have happened to two thirds of American adults you still have narrow seats being the norm on airlines. It makes flying pretty awful if you don't fit.

Hardly anyone fits comfortably in an airline seat ever, fat or not. Seats have been getting tinier and shittier because everyone demands the lowest possible fares all the time, and while we'll bitch about discomfort, we usually will end up taking the cheaper fare even if it means less space (at least, enough people do that the airlines cater to them). The cost of airline travel, adjusted for inflation, has dropped hugely over the past few decades, even as fuel prices have increased, and a big part of the reason why is because airlines are able to cram more people into less space.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

honestly never had an issue sitting next to a heavier person on an airplane, but I am a pipsqueak. i had an issue once on a bus where I sat next to a larger lady who kept wiggling and bitching about the seat until I moved by that's about it

she bitched at me when I moved to give her more space tho so I think she was probably just an rear end in a top hat

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

Hardly anyone fits comfortably in an airline seat ever, fat or not. Seats have been getting tinier and shittier because everyone demands the lowest possible fares all the time, and while we'll bitch about discomfort, we usually will end up taking the cheaper fare even if it means less space (at least, enough people do that the airlines cater to them). The cost of airline travel, adjusted for inflation, has dropped hugely over the past few decades, even as fuel prices have increased, and a big part of the reason why is because airlines are able to cram more people into less space.

If I could get a more comfortable seat for 1.5x the price instead of 10x the price, I would do it every time...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yep. I grab business class upgrades whenever possible, but the difference between coach and first on a lot of flights is x3, and I can't justify that for an hour of hanging my shoulder into the aisle.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Last time I had a hella long international flight, it was something like $6k extra to not suffer. I got lots of cool poo poo I can do with $6k. Sigh

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Hell, it's 1.5x the regular price to get an exit row seat on most US airlines these days.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
And you've gotta be careful with that. The window seat in the exit row has poo poo for foot room and a terrible shaped bulkhead for leaning on.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
You can bump up to the "preferred economy" on most flights for $30-$50 depending on the airline, but all that gets you is more leg room. If you want more width you have to shell out for business or first class.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

slap me silly posted:

If I could get a more comfortable seat for 1.5x the price instead of 10x the price, I would do it every time...

You better believe you're preaching to the choir here. Unfortunately, at least in Canada, our airlines that offer premium economy seats (extra legroom, sometimes extra width on overseas flights) generally bundle it with increased status miles, flexible rebooking policy, etc. etc., so it ends up being over twice as expensive as the base fare in a lot of cases. It's still something I'll probably take on flights where it's available, but it's still a piss-off.

Considering how loving amazing it is when you think about our ability to travel half-way around the loving world in under a day, people sure are cheap about it in general.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Still a safe place. If the exercise poo poo gets too bad we'll flag a mod- I'm down with some discussion but anything that's going into the territory of "you should do X Y and Z to lose weight! It's easy!" belongs in YLLS and not here.

It kind of needs to be. Evidence is starting to show that fat shaming is super duper bad for fat people and makes them gain even more weight.
The grand total difference between the discriminated and non-discriminated in the study was 1.6 kg, so like 3.5 pounds, over four years, but it showed that those who weren't feeling judged for their weight were on average losing it, while those that felt judged packed more on. Considering all of the adults in the study were over 50, it's a pretty good result and shows what therapists and psychiatrists have been saying for years about stress and comfort eating in those who already have issues with food.
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0914/110914-Fat-shaming-does-not-encourage-weight-loss

I mean, who knew that harassing the mentally ill because of the physical effects of mental illness would actively make it worse? Surely you can get depressed people better by yelling at them

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

PT6A posted:

Considering how loving amazing it is when you think about our ability to travel half-way around the loving world in under a day, people sure are cheap about it in general.

People are cheap about it, but I kind of feel like the airlines have been 100% participants in the raise to the toilet. They aren't exactly sustainable ventures (as the frequent bankruptcies demonstrate), even if customers were willing to pay more I suspect they'd be anxious for all the cost savings they can get.

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

It kind of needs to be. Evidence is starting to show that fat shaming is super duper bad for fat people and makes them gain even more weight.
The grand total difference between the discriminated and non-discriminated in the study was 1.6 kg, so like 3.5 pounds, over four years, but it showed that those who weren't feeling judged for their weight were on average losing it, while those that felt judged packed more on. Considering all of the adults in the study were over 50, it's a pretty good result and shows what therapists and psychiatrists have been saying for years about stress and comfort eating in those who already have issues with food.
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/news-articles/0914/110914-Fat-shaming-does-not-encourage-weight-loss

I mean, who knew that harassing the mentally ill because of the physical effects of mental illness would actively make it worse? Surely you can get depressed people better by yelling at them

I heard about this the other day and wondered whether the process might be working the other way around. So, instead of fat people getting greedier and lazier because they're shamed, the kind of fat people who are inclined to be increasingly greedy and lazy are more prone to incur shaming. Not saying it's true but personally I don't care in the slightest if you're fat but if you're stuffing your face with abandon and being a slob, you're acting in a way I think is shameful and you're also likely to be putting on weight. If you're fat but sometimes eat normally and move around you're not acting shamefully and are also likely to be losing weight. Just a thought. But then I don't buy into the idea that most fat people are mentally ill, either.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Getting to the high end of healthy/low end of obese doesn't require anything other than inattentiveness and a low energy lifestyle, you're right, but once you're going on 300 lbs, the amount of "just laziness" or "not noticing" that can be attributed to weight gain kind of dries up and there is a real issue there that needs to be addressed. The vast majority of stories shared in this thread admit to having issues with food or body image or depression that needed to be addressed and worked through. IIRC, relatively few people here needed long term medication and only a few more to even see a professional, but all of the things that make food a comfort or severely discourage the incremental lifestyle changes to get to a healthy weight are mental health issues. The people with those issues are mentally ill, and unfortunately that carries a lot of negative connotations in today's society, but it is the truth

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Part of the problem for me (actually perhaps the whole of the problem), as one of the morbidly obese, clinically depressed, long-term-medicated folks in this thread, is that I did have psychologist therapy for several months and didn't really see a blind bit of difference in how I felt about myself or anything else. So I don't have a lot of faith left in the idea of therapy, anymore, especially considering the amount of crap I get trying to find a therapist that accepts medical insurance (read: like none of them). Sure as hell can't afford to see one who doesn't take insurance.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
^ absolutely spot on, Ciaphas and Door Frame.

I think the mental aspect of being fat is one that people who have never been obese cannot comprehend like, AT ALL. If you've only ever been 10 or 20 lbs overweight, then of course you know that your beer gut is because you're lazy and have one too many taquitos or whatever and you could totally have a six pack if you'd just apply yourself but man, your job is just so hard and there's no time to go to the gym and oh man, look at that hambeast over there! My god she's hideous! Jesus Christ get the gently caress up off the couch and do something! Man I am glad I'm not so fat and lazy that I'd ever let myself get like that, I mean I have love handles and everything but goddamn I don't have a gunt drat I feel better about myself now, time to go get some more beer.

Couple crippling mental issues with a serious lack of good mental care available and practically nil mental health practitioners who treat obese patients and it's a trifecta of "Welcome to being fat for the rest of your life".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
^^^In this vein, I think a lot of people who are really fit and thin know exactly how hard it is to diet, lose weight and stay in shape and hence have more sympathy. As I've gotten more in shape, I find myself cheering on anyone who is out there and trying, as opposed to judging them.

• Locked thread