Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

What made you turn it around?

How did you start to lose weight? What exercises could you do, or was it all diet initially?

What do you think someone could have said to you to make you want to start earlier? What do you think you could say to someone in a similar situation?

Did you encounter chubby chasers? Did anyone tell you they found your obesity attractive? On your way up the scale did you think you were attractive for a while or never?

Questions open to anyone else who wants to share as well, not just vyst who is a trooper for answering and halving himself~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Besides the eating is there anything you miss or liked as a death fat?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Is the fat shame thread shameful or cathartic for you?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

The fact that he(?) can stop himself from eating for any length of time means it's not prader-willi but who knows about others, but yeah go seek professional help!

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

As far as motivating other people, I don't think it can be done.

Jack Gladney posted:

I think the example of the people around me made me think critically about myself and my habits for the first time. All of my coworkers and friends went running and lifted, and just from being around them I learned a lot about it and got support when I decided to start running

It seems like it can be done? Though funny how being immersed in a fit culture later in life was more effective than being "immersed" in a fit culture in elementary school.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

You all with big losses should post in the ultimate transformation thread, if you haven't already.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Zhentar posted:

the basic message is objectively wrong.

I get that the basic message is intended to be "you have to cut your intake, the laws of thermodynamics guarantee it will work at some point, even for you, no matter how special and unique you think your case is". And that's fair enough.

Again, this doesn't negate the basic point, but telling people that their apparent challenges don't really exist or are "extremely easy" to overcome when that's not what they are experiencing doesn't exactly engender success.

Uh... What.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Some of us just want to watch the world burn

calories and fat.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

shipwrek posted:

This is kind of why I asked. I am inputting numbers into my fitness app and double checking them with various cal-counter sites and they usually want a goal weight. My thoughts were "losing a shitload of weight" as you so eloquently put it. Made me wonder what forms of goal posts people use if any and what they may be.

My personal motivation is that being a guy who makes geeky replica props and paints and sculpts and does other seated at a work bench type things I would like to remove the loving beach ball that is steadily making it harder to reach my work.

Where are you starting from? How tall are you? That should help you figure out where you want to be, ballpark

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Are you a picky eater? How do you take to new foods? What kinds of foods can you not stand?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

New/questions for the crowd:

- were/are you a picky eater? I asked this before but no one responded. Is this a bad question?

- do you have a physical goal in weight loss (assuming you want to lose or are losing weight) like "I want to be able to do a particular activity or exercise" or "I'd like to fit into a size __"

- how do you see food? (No, not literally.)

- for those who are still at the start of or haven't started their weight loss (or don't want to lose weight), how do you feel about other people's success stories? Does it make you feel bad that you haven't done what they have done, or feel good to know that it's possible no matter what size you start at?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I have more questions!

- For those of you who have lost weight, how did you manage hunger?

- Has hunger always been at the same intensity or has it eased as you've lost weight/hit plateaus?

- For those of you who haven't lost weight, how do you see hunger, and how does hunger impact your eating (say, vs. boredom or emotional coping)?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

This is true, I started at 300 lbs and I'm down to 209 right now. Losing 100lbs is like a night and day difference in how you feel emotionally and physically. I've been able to do so many more things right now than I was able to do in high school. Plus attention from both men and women is flattering as hell even though you're already married.

What a deceptive username.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

I've never come across any day to day tasks that require more than the basic amount of strength you get from having testosterone and living in the first world where we get adequate nutrition.

Wait till you get older.

Though it's more about flexibility and agility than strength later on, though they are all inter-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I think he's just saying that eating a lot is fun and not exercising is more fun than exercising, personal future health be damned. And since he's never experienced things that you can only experience if you're fit, there's no feeling that he's missing out on anything.

It sounds like he doesn't think he will ever shed the stigma of being fat without a level of suffering he doesn't think would be worth it, so he might as well enjoy doing fat things if that's going to be the same anyway.

• Locked thread