Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I didn't think that would be so difficult to figure out, regardless of the awkward translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, "Resonating Terror" would be the grammatically correct way of writing it, but "Terror in Resonance" sounds more mysterious. Or maybe it's written like that for another reason.

Anyway first episode was really good. Top notch animation! The camera work in those action scene, man, it's great. I'm wondering how much social critique the show will contain.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I distinctly remember resonance coming up as a deliberate word when Nine was guiding the girl out of the building, but that could just be Crunchyroll subs being sub-par at best.

Xeiros
Oct 4, 2013

by Smythe
Episode 3

I hope 5 shows up soon. This series could use a bit of a game changer to shake things up.

It feels odd from an audience standpoint watching 9 angst over the "death" of a character we clearly know isn't actually dead. I blame the promotional material since if you only watched the series and avoided any and all promotional videos/trailers, you'd be none the wiser. Still, in series all the flashbacks that show her are from his memory so because he saw her die that's what he believes happened so that's what we as an audience are shown.

The unreliable narrator of sorts even if they don't mean to be.

This week's episode felt far too much like a retread of the previous episode's overall narrative. At least we got some more character backstory and the plot is moving forward at a decent pace. I prefer to learn about a character's motivations in pieces so I'm all for this sort of approach as opposed to an entire episode/episodes worth of flashback.

Xeiros fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 24, 2014

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

It felt like this ep was building toward a dramatic turning point, so it's kinda dissapointing how slow and subdued it all really was. Beyond the potentially iffy government conspiracy stuff in the background, what concerns me most about the show is Lisa. They've actually been doing a stellar job in getting across a lot about her in almost no words, but I feel like her situation at home would have a lot more weight if they'd just develop it a little. By all indication, her mom may as well just be some crazy lady who happens to live with her.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thought it was another solid episode. I didn't really mind the anticlimax of the bomb not going off because I'm still intrigued by whatever their end game is. I like Detective Razor's chubby pal a lot and I hope he doesn't get killed.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

Xeiros posted:

Episode 3

I hope 5 shows up soon. This series could use a bit of a game changer to shake things up.

It feels odd from an audience standpoint watching 9 angst over the "death" of a character we clearly know isn't actually dead. I blame the promotional material since if you only watched the series and avoided any and all promotional videos/trailers, you'd be none the wiser. Still, in series all the flashbacks that show her are from his memory so because he saw her die that's what he believes happened so that's what we as an audience are shown.

The unreliable narrator of sorts even if they don't mean to be.

This week's episode felt far too much like a retread of the previous episode's overall narrative. At least we got some more character backstory and the plot is moving forward at a decent pace. I prefer to learn about a character's motivations in pieces so I'm all for this sort of approach as opposed to an entire episode/episodes worth of flashback.

Cool, thanks for the spoilers I guess :( (I don't watch promo material or trailers).

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

CuLT posted:

Cool, thanks for the spoilers I guess :( (I don't watch promo material or trailers).

:smith::hf::smith:

You're not alone!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Thought it was another solid episode. I didn't really mind the anticlimax of the bomb not going off because I'm still intrigued by whatever their end game is. I like Detective Razor's chubby pal a lot and I hope he doesn't get killed.

It's certainly interesting that our protagonists are apparently setting up their own terror campaign to fail. Explains the deliberately low bodycount, for a start.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Bobduh picked up on an interesting character parallel - remember how they went into detail about how Oedipus had his feet nailed to the ground when he was abandoned as a child? Now look at this shot again.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
So, the people who stole the Uranium aren't actually the main characters?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Bobduh picked up on an interesting character parallel - remember how they went into detail about how Oedipus had his feet nailed to the ground when he was abandoned as a child? Now look at this shot again.

That is an interesting parallel. The thing I've mostly been interested throughout these three episodes is what role she's supposed to play. I assume there will be more Oedipus-related discussion in the next few episodes at least, so hopefully that gives us some clues as to her role in coming events.

Zettace posted:

So, the people who stole the Uranium aren't actually the main characters?

Where did you get that idea?

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 28, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

It's certainly interesting that our protagonists are apparently setting up their own terror campaign to fail. Explains the deliberately low bodycount, for a start.

Umm, I think it's more a testing phase to get attention from the govt and media. I feel like when Sphinx's full plans are set in motion they'll be less merciful to unrelated citizens.

Darth Walrus posted:

Interesting, I almost forgot how Lisa took off her shoes during that incident. Perhaps, it means that she was trapped from the start.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

That is an interesting parallel. The thing I've mostly been interested throughout these three episodes is what role she's supposed to play. I assume there will be more Oedipus-related discussion in the next few episodes at least, so hopefully that gives us some clues as to her role in coming events.

Well, she already ran away from/was chased out of the house by an abusive parent this episode...

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

This week on Terror: MORE GOVT MEETINGS BEFORE ANYTHING PEOPLE CAME TO loving SEE START YAAAAAAY

My mind somehow continuously tricks me into being excited for a show that always starts with a word from C-SPAN. At first, I admired the direction, but I didn't know it was going to be a formula.

-"So I ask the kid what he's always listenin' to, and he says, get this, "Music from a cold land." I'm all like, does this loving kid think people not know who Bjork is? He coulda literally just said, 'Iceland.' Two syllables. Ice and Land. Kid was a nerrrrrrrd."

Stands to reason a kid with a hosed-up past involving govt conspiracies would be a total social goober.

-Nine being the one to latch to Lisa like a kid finding a lost puppy is interesting. Didn't see that one coming.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

As someone who's dabbled with a single IT security course where I did some common attacks on my own virtual network setup, this episode's hacking scenes looked refreshingly genuine compared to any contemporary media I can think of. Nice touch with virtual currency and credit cards, too.

Oh, the social media leak was neat stuff too. Also, was the guy browsing comments for right answers? Nice to see the show answering some of the points made here, too.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 31, 2014

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Bitcoins really are the future of anarcholibertarianism.

Also, Lisa is the cutest little terrorist accomplice.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames

Dessel posted:

As someone who's dabbled with a single IT security course where I did some common attacks on my own virtual network setup, this episode's hacking scenes looked refreshingly genuine compared to any contemporary media I can think of. Nice touch with virtual currency and credit cards, too.

That's all well and good, but what about the chessboard? Code Geass and NGNL made me lose hope for accurate chess.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
"So the internet is the underworld?"

Heh.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
When the detective was like "What does 'music from a cold land' make you think of?" I was all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDpc-831GPs

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Or every drat Sigur Ros song.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
So not Múm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5hBkQT3-C8

Or Emiliana Torrini?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i97b6brnWCc

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Where did you get that idea?
The way he mentions that the police have connected their group with the Uranium thieves implies that there's more to it than that.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Zettace posted:

The way he mentions that the police have connected their group with the Uranium thieves implies that there's more to it than that.

During the Uranium theft, Twelve and Nine are clearly shown.
Even if they were doppelgängers, why would they later use the same spraypaint tag that was only used in the theft before, unless they know about it and want to be associated with it?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Of course, there was no Uranium theft at all.
They stole Plutonium.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

Of course, there was no Uranium theft at all.
They stole Plutonium.

The cleary lost two protons on the getaway.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Even if you guys have some gripes against the show, i highly recommend you to check it out the OST. Yoko Kanno is really something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qkDlRfNEZk (The channel has the whole thing so :filez: i guess?)

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

So I bought a motorcycle and threatened to murder a girl yesterday. When does she hop on and go for a existential ride with me?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

LaTex Fetish posted:

So I bought a motorcycle and threatened to murder a girl yesterday. When does she hop on and go for a existential ride with me?

Did you save her life first? It's important to go in order for some situations.

I wonder though is the insert song during the chase scene in english? Is it on the OST too?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1oncUennTs

Some indie rock band.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Okay, so that was about as satisfying as the show has been since the first episode. I'm not sure if it's going to end up being the classic it has the ingredients to be, but it's still good to see the bishi terrorists actually dealing with something out of their control.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The game is afoot. :pipe:

Gihon
Jan 9, 2014

Twelve mentioned that eating felt like just another task. I wonder what the other tasks were.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The Devil Tesla posted:

Okay, so that was about as satisfying as the show has been since the first episode. I'm not sure if it's going to end up being the classic it has the ingredients to be, but it's still good to see the bishi terrorists actually dealing with something out of their control.

Probably not, but at least the OST is memorable. The anime is moving at a nice pace so it hopefully there will be some kinda resolution before the show ends.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
How did this get away with train terrorism while Penguin Drum didn't?

Also "Your food is terrible, try eating it yourself." Yes. Thank you show.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

I thought this episode was kinda lame. was disappointed by five. I just want "mind games with terrorists" the anime, but now it's just some children's game between each other and I hope it doesn't go down that route. The old cool investigator was good and cool and I thought he was a good indicator of the mood-to-come and now I dunno what to think

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'd say odds are roughly 99% that cool old investigator ends up working with Nine and Twelve against the corrupt government and Five.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
Is it weird that the show this most reminds me of is Penguindrum?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Sindai posted:

I'd say odds are roughly 99% that cool old investigator ends up working with Nine and Twelve against the corrupt government and Five.

i'm just getting second-half of death note vibes and that's bad because that show was pretty loving bad past episode 12 or whatever but somehow you just have to complete it now because, gently caress it, you've already put so much time in already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Redcrimson posted:

Is it weird that the show this most reminds me of is Penguindrum?

Terrorism, subways, weekly, literal SURVIVAL STRATEGies posted on youtube and guys rushing into the streets to prevent a terrible fate? Think you might be on to something.

Now we just need Twelve sneaking around in a penguin costume and we'll have Best Anime.

EDIT: Speaking of, more than a little ironic how Nine uses a gas canister to get innocent people off the train before the actual attack. For all the grumbling about how there have been no casualties, the show has been awful ballsy and unflinching regarding its imagery, which often sticks with a country's cultural fabric and its people long after the sense of grief and loss.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Aug 10, 2014

• Locked thread