Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Redcrimson posted:

Is it weird that the show this most reminds me of is Penguindrum?

Not enough yuri vibes or fabulous max, homeslice, but good try. I just wolfed down the 5 episodes that are available of this and... it felt like it's just going through the motions? Maybe with the week-to-week wait, this vibe will go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's a part of the OP song that sounds exactly like a piece of another show's music and it's driving me crazy that I can't remember what it is. Anyone have an idea? I suspect it's another Kanno composition.

It's the bit from 5 to 8 seconds to be specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwoU6nHxw6E

edit: i dunno why the fuckin time code won't embed right. :argh:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 10, 2014

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

maybe from ghost in the shell? the lyrics are clearly not the same but the rhythm and beat kinda are throughout that part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIVgSuuUTwQ

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

a kitten posted:

There's a part of the OP song that sounds exactly like a piece of another show's music and it's driving me crazy that I can't remember what it is. Anyone have an idea? I suspect it's another Kanno composition.

It's the bit from 5 to 8 seconds to be specific.

It always reminded me of Hemisphere, really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OID_2AxLblU

The ED even has hints of this Turn A track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHps0rH9-bc&list=PLvu6hc5JuZSNIJXksi8cFFslFtZ2-MAcT&index=12

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 10, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah I was almost positive it was GitS but it doesn't seem like it, and I've never seen the one that pootybutt posted so that turned out not to be it either.

But, then you edited and reminded me of Turn A and now I think it is probably this bit from the first OP at 47 seconds in:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpqwY7tsZS4&t=47s

Either that or something from Macross Frontier. drat it Yoko, I like your stuff but, c'mon now.:eng99:

I'm calling it case closed though.

CuLT
Sep 9, 2005

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out where I'd heard it before! It's basically the same track, melodically.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

a kitten posted:

Either that or something from Macross Frontier.

......*snaps fingers*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a91rrEEyZBk

I'm a Kanno nut, what can I say?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

I wouldn't be surprised if Shibazaki pairs up with Twelve and Nine, but at the same time I think we'll get plenty of episodes where everyone is doing their own thing before we have them team up, if at all. For all the grumbling about lack of causalities, and this episode kind of really helped cement the importance of that to their mission, considering they risked their lives and being spotted in order to make sure that stayed true. I think it's been pretty clever how they've been doing it and showing how Twelve and Nine have been going out of their way to make sure there aren't any causalities. It paints a pretty stark picture compared to Five, who was willing to kill coverage in the area in order to force the bomb to go off and entirely willing to get people to die to flush them out.

I'm not sure how I really felt about the bits with Lisa, Nine and Twelve this episode - it kind of felt like I was watching a different show altogether. But now with Five part of the crew I think things are going to decidedly ramp up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monathin posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Shibazaki pairs up with Twelve and Nine, but at the same time I think we'll get plenty of episodes where everyone is doing their own thing before we have them team up, if at all. For all the grumbling about lack of causalities, and this episode kind of really helped cement the importance of that to their mission, considering they risked their lives and being spotted in order to make sure that stayed true. I think it's been pretty clever how they've been doing it and showing how Twelve and Nine have been going out of their way to make sure there aren't any causalities. It paints a pretty stark picture compared to Five, who was willing to kill coverage in the area in order to force the bomb to go off and entirely willing to get people to die to flush them out.

It helps that we've got a rough understanding of their plan, now - they were trying to draw the attention of the cops to operations run by the people who ruined their lives until something compromising surfaced. Being disruptive and annoying was important to that, but killing people could well have been counter-productive (in that it would have focused the police's attention more on them and less on their targets). Plus, y'know, the whole 'mass murder is bad and wrong' thing.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I just got caught up on this series and think it would be really lame if Shibazaki teams up with Twelve and Nine. The whole "we're both enemies but let's team up to take down a bigger enemy" just seems like such a cliched way for it to go and even though they have been very careful not to have any casualties Twelve and Nine have still been planting bombs everywhere and if anything went wrong or even one person didn't manage to evacuate according to their plan like in the most recent episode then they easily could have killed someone, I don't think it would fit with what's been shown of Shibazaki so far to team up with people like that.
Obviously both groups are going to be in opposition with the new character, but I'd much rather they did it independently (or have something like Twelve and Nine manipulating Shibazaki to do what they want through their plans) rather than explicitly teaming up.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Pootybutt posted:

......*snaps fingers*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a91rrEEyZBk

I'm a Kanno nut, what can I say?

God drat, that must have been the only track I missed when I was listening to those soundtracks trying to figure it out, that's totally what I was thinking of. Thanks!

:ms: for real this time.

NETVERK
Jul 4, 2014

You're unpleasant!

Redcrimson posted:

Is it weird that the show this most reminds me of is Penguindrum?

Pootybutt posted:

Terrorism, subways, weekly, literal SURVIVAL STRATEGies posted on youtube and guys rushing into the streets to prevent a terrible fate? Think you might be on to something.

You forgot the 'weird place filled with orphans who tried to escape' thing.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

YOSPOS.gif

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

NETVERK posted:

You forgot the 'weird place filled with orphans who tried to escape' thing.

Even aside from terrorism and Child Broilers, I think the shows are ultimately very similar thematically. About abandoned people trapped with a future they feel was unjustly handed down to them, and how those individual people both rail against their fates and find solace in human connection.

duvel
Dec 13, 2008
Now that the reason for terrorism is revealed, I have to wonder why they had to threaten blowing up a bunch of places to put corruption into the limelight instead of like, I dunno, using their super hacker skills to find it? There better be a drat good reason they couldn't do this investigation themselves. Also better be a good reason that Five let the bomb go off if she could access them anyway to let them know she found them? I mean it's all very dramatic but completely insane and ungrounded, which while the original concept had teenage terrorists the rest of the episodes thus far were mostly down to earth.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Can't hack poo poo on a private network. Not everything is connected to the internet.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Can't hack poo poo on a private network. Not everything is connected to the internet.

that's what the US did to Iran though

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

duvel posted:

Also better be a good reason that Five let the bomb go off if she could access them anyway to let them know she found them? [/spoiler]

I'm pretty sure that's because she wants any sympathy their cause might have gained them go out the window for killing people. Right now the show has made a point to tell us they have gone out of their way to kill people, and most likely it's because they want to bring something to light in a very extreme way for some reason (Unknown why they have chosen that path). By setting them up for their bomb to actually go off and kill/hurt people, she is screwing up their objective and probably making sure that any light that maybe would have been shed on why the bombings might be connected gets overlooked because they're now killing innocent people. I suspect the show will reveal it to us more in depth next episode.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Caught the latest episode. Saw the "There's nothing you can do - oh wait now we need someone they won't be expecting to aid us" twist a mile away.

In regards to putting corruption into the limelight through terrorist acts instead of just hacking, I'm pretty sure the reason is going to boil down to the amount of people this reaches and spreads to, compared to a simple hack-and-dump. Any time Sphinx moves, it's breaking news all over. A standard hacking job could probably be easily dismissed or die out due to the lack of people who care, but because of how widespread Sphinx is now due to their actions, they can expose the corruption on a grand scale and allow people to properly get outraged

And yes, Five is deliberately coaxing them out by being completely alright with murdering people to scuttle their efforts, because if anyone dies, it'll be more focus on "those terrorists are wanton murderers and have to be stopped!" And you completely lose why they're fighting in the midst of condeming their actions.

It's actually pretty drat clever and I've been impressed with how much thought has gone into this.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
I just wish they went a little while longer with depicting the duo as people doing bad things for a dubious reason or at least anti-heroes before flipping them to "the good guys" by introducing someone who's like them but worse. A downer there, but I'm enjoying the episodes so far still, even if it's getting pretty easy to see where it's going. Plus, nice music.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Ugh the english in this episode is killing me

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Condiv posted:

It's amazing and I want it in every anime.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

The official with Five sounds pretty convincing though? - the lines in English in the last episode

Also, Five is actively ruining the show for me even if her actions might be logical to some degree. She just really is that ridiculous and egregious.

edit: "You're kidding!"

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 15, 2014

Catchy Tuna
Dec 4, 2005

Can somebody tell Japan how chess works?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oooh so close.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The white King and Queen are swapped too, pack it in, show is ruined

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Condiv posted:

The Devil Tesla posted:

It's amazing and I want it in every anime.

For a second, I thought it was the triumphant return of whatever the gently caress language Fine from Symphogear spoke (you cannot convince me this is actual English), but then I rewatched said video. Okay, it's not quite that bad.

Pretty close, though. It's weird to have every single voice actor be pretty good at English except the one character who is actually important. Especially since FBI guy also speaks good Japanese.

Kolos
Jul 19, 2009
This last episode killed the show for me, it went from "oh what is going to happen now?" into "uhg, this don't make sense". The 2 of them vs police + scrappy detective was fine for me

Kolos fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Aug 15, 2014

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
I'm just wondering how Nine and Twelve are going to team up with the scrappy detective. I mean he definitely hates them both for stealing plutonium but they can't handle Five alone, and at least they go out of their way to prevent people from dying.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Kolos posted:

This last episode killed the show for me, it went from "oh what is going to happen now?" into "uhg, this don't make sense". The 2 of them vs police + scrappy detective was fine for me
It makes sense when you realize that the FBI/Americans are complete irredeemable cackling villains in this show. As the final episode comes up, expect the Japanese to save the day and show their superiority over the villainous Americans. So I agree, episode killed the show for American viewers.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I just watched all six episodes that are out today today. Show started off strong but got dumb pretty quick. Who the gently caress is letting this madwoman set bombs in an airport? Who the gently caress is actually doing it? This makes no Goddamn sense.

Don't get me wrong, I've no doubt that a lot of shady poo poo goes down in our (American) intelligence services, but blowing up allies' airports seems a bit beyond the pale.

I was willing to suspend disbelief for highschool terrorists (anime, after all), but this strains that disbelief past the breaking point.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I just watched all six episodes that are out today today. Show started off strong but got dumb pretty quick. Who the gently caress is letting this madwoman set bombs in an airport? Who the gently caress is actually doing it? This makes no Goddamn sense.

Don't get me wrong, I've no doubt that a lot of shady poo poo goes down in our (American) intelligence services, but blowing up allies' airports seems a bit beyond the pale.

I was willing to suspend disbelief for highschool terrorists (anime, after all), but this strains that disbelief past the breaking point.

You know who this is believable to? Conspiracy theorists. This is set in a world where Bush did 9/11.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Also this is a world where Bitcoin Kittocoin works as intended.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also the FBI is a law enforcement agency, not an intelligence service.

Seriously though, what?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Whenever anime mentions the FBI operating in/with other countries, I mentally change it to the CIA. Stolen plutonium in a foreign country doesn't even remotely call for domestic law enforcement.

That reminds me, why did the security of that nuclear facility in the first episode let the kid out because he pointed a gun at the stuff, and why did they avoid shooting them? I was more or less willing to brush it off as necessary for the plot, but could there be a legitimate reason for it? Is plutonium actually very similar to red barrels?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Whenever anime mentions the FBI operating in/with other countries, I mentally change it to the CIA. Stolen plutonium in a foreign country doesn't even remotely call for domestic law enforcement.

That reminds me, why did the security of that nuclear facility in the first episode let the kid out because he pointed a gun at the stuff, and why did they avoid shooting them? I was more or less willing to brush it off as necessary for the plot, but could there be a legitimate reason for it? Is plutonium actually very similar to red barrels?

I agree with you, the show is pretty lovely, but it's not because of nit-picky stuff like that (although there is plenty of it, and it does get annoying). I just find the plot and characters dull. Once I realized that they were not "real" terrorists and wouldn't kill a single person (even if many should have died it those kinds of attacks,) just so that they could become untarnished heroes at some point, I kinda gave up on the show. It has has a good premise but is obviously just going to take the safe road. Boring. I'm basically just watching it for the animation.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

paragon1 posted:

Also the FBI is a law enforcement agency, not an intelligence service.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

The US actually does send FBI and other domestic law enforcement people overseas as advisors with some regularity (FBI hostage negotiators etc. were sent to Nigeria recently, for instance). I agree that anime is usually pretty bad about mixing up the roles of the big scary US agencies, but this case is actually appropriate - the US would definitely offer to send law enforcement, intelligence, and military experts as well as people from NEST if any of our allies had their plutonium swiped and were undergoing a series of terrorist attacks. The implausible thing here is that the Japanese police are supposed to take orders from these US agents, but this is clearly an intentional plot point.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

trucutru posted:

I agree with you, the show is pretty lovely, but it's not because of nit-picky stuff like that (although there is plenty of it, and it does get annoying). I just find the plot and characters dull. Once I realized that they were not "real" terrorists and wouldn't kill a single person (even if many should have died it those kinds of attacks,) just so that they could become untarnished heroes at some point, I kinda gave up on the show. It has has a good premise but is obviously just going to take the safe road. Boring. I'm basically just watching it for the animation.

Yeah, I think I might be more frustrated with the general quality of the show than these nitpicky things, they're just easier to focus on. It does look and sound nice, though.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

The US actually does send FBI and other domestic law enforcement people overseas as advisors with some regularity (FBI hostage negotiators etc. were sent to Nigeria recently, for instance). I agree that anime is usually pretty bad about mixing up the roles of the big scary US agencies, but this case is actually appropriate - the US would definitely offer to send law enforcement, intelligence, and military experts as well as people from NEST if any of our allies had their plutonium swiped and were undergoing a series of terrorist attacks. The implausible thing here is that the Japanese police are supposed to take orders from these US agents, but this is clearly an intentional plot point.

Huh. The more you know. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kolos
Jul 19, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

It makes sense when you realize that the FBI/Americans are complete irredeemable cackling villains in this show. As the final episode comes up, expect the Japanese to save the day and show their superiority over the villainous Americans. So I agree, episode killed the show for American viewers.

Even "evil" fbi would be ok. But going to the airport to stop the bomb, the evil L, or the chess thing... oh the chess thing, is like finding were osama is but instead of sending a team to get the guy you send him love letters to lure him to go on a date to make him fall in your trap

• Locked thread