Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeSevigny
Aug 6, 2002

Habs 2006: Cristobal Persuasion

Cemetry Gator posted:

I really love this interview for some reason:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TetlDTcqx6Q

It's just really clever, especially when he gets off a really good ice burn like he did. Really, I appreciate the fake interviews. Just think of all the work it takes, going through an interview and piecing it together so that way it sounds like Avril Lavigne can't choose between Britney Spears and Hitler.

My favourite is the Paul McCartney interview, because as bad as he makes some people sound, Paul sounds like such an incoherent lunatic I'm not sure what he was supposed to be talking about in the first place. I watched that Al-Music special so many times I wore the VHS tape out. I think I still have most of the "K. Blgaga" letter memorized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqP1FEpoBG8

MikeSevigny fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One other thought....the polka medley really shows how moving away from full albums is a great idea. It has Sexy and I Know It on it, for god's sake.

radlum
May 13, 2013
It's 3AM in my country; I should go to sleep, but here I am, listening to the album on Spotify. So far, I love it. I loved the polka medley and Word Crimes

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ComposerGuy posted:

Even forgetting the actual straight-up parodies, his originals that instead take the "style" of a certain artist or band are often so good that he out-does them (Mark Mothersbaugh once commented that Al's "Dare To Be Stupid" is the perfect DEVO song and he wished he had written it).

Dare to be Stupid is totally a song that Devo could have written. I always thought it was funny that Devo wrote a song called "Nutty Buddy" that featured Mr. Goodbar references in the lyrics, and played it a few shows in the 70s (but never released it). Then Weird Al throws in a line about Mr. Goodbar in his song, and it was likely just a coincidence.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

Bown posted:

One other thought....the polka medley really shows how moving away from full albums is a great idea. It has Sexy and I Know It on it, for god's sake.

Yeah. Pumped Up Kicks is 4 years old at this point.

He could easily release independently a Summer Jamz Polka every year.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This Fancy parody is god drat brilliant

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Well, it has finally happened after 30 years of being a Weird Al fan. He has released an album where I don't know a single one of the songs he's parodying. I've heard OF a couple of them, but (other than some stuff in the polka medley) I didn't recognize any and had to look up what each original song was.

I guess hooray for me for escaping from awful pop music, but some of the humor is lost on me now, and it's kind of a bummer.

Fortunately, the originals are great as always. I'm a huge Pixies fan, and First World Problems is spot-on. Jackson Park Express is great too - it just keeps going on and on and getting more ridiculous. I lost it at "...I like your boobs".

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The video for Word Crimes is up on weirdal.com. It's very basic, but also very good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

Well, it has finally happened after 30 years of being a Weird Al fan. He has released an album where I don't know a single one of the songs he's parodying. I've heard OF a couple of them, but (other than some stuff in the polka medley) I didn't recognize any and had to look up what each original song was.

I guess hooray for me for escaping from awful pop music, but some of the humor is lost on me now, and it's kind of a bummer.

Fortunately, the originals are great as always. I'm a huge Pixies fan, and First World Problems is spot-on. Jackson Park Express is great too - it just keeps going on and on and getting more ridiculous. I lost it at "...I like your boobs".

Having gone the last year without hearing Happy or Blurred Lines is impressive.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

howe_sam posted:

The video for Word Crimes is up on weirdal.com. It's very basic, but also very good.

Yeah, it was also my first exposure to the track, and it was pretty awesome :)

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

It's not that hard to do, I've heard Happy on a commercial or two, and maybe the credits of a movie, I have no idea. Never heard Blurred Lines though.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Being familiar with popular music is a good thing and contempt for it like this:

WhiteHowler posted:

I guess hooray for me for escaping from awful pop music

is really lame, not to mention dumb. By your own admission you don't even know what you're escaping from, stop fronting.

edit: I got a kick out of the "'WEIRD AL' YANKOVIC HAS A BIG DICTIONARY" at the end of the Word Crimes video, nice callback to the Blurred Lines video

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I'm just happy that I got to hear Weird Al say 'cunning linguist'. Is that a callback to anything?

radlum
May 13, 2013
I really liked the new video. So far it's a pretty good album.

I prefer to know the songs being parodied, I think it pays off to know how the originals go, even if you hate them. I can't hear "Sexy and I Know It" but the version in the polka medley was great and I could listen to a complete version in that style.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

I'm just happy that I got to hear Weird Al say 'cunning linguist'. Is that a callback to anything?

He used "master debater" in the I Need A Nap book.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

howe_sam posted:

Holy poo poo, that was exactly what I was hoping for :allears:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Steven Hyden, always prone to over-analyzing but fun when you're in the mood, wrote an interesting piece on Al's relevance.

As someone who just got an English degree and spent four years on the college newspaper staff, that Word Crimes video is great.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 15, 2014

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I thought the interview Al did with NPR covered the same ground, but minus Hyden attempting to be cooler than Al, which is impossible of course.

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
This "behind the scenes" write up by the creator of the Word Crimes video is pretty interesting. There are a lot more hidden jokes than I thought there were.

http://spaceparanoids.net/wordcrimes/

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

I don't listen to terrestrial radio, and the online radio I listen to generally wouldn't play anything like that. I knew of Happy, but when I heard the parody I was actually surprised that I didn't recognize it from hearing it in the background at the mall or a TV commercial or something.

het posted:

Being familiar with popular music is a good thing and contempt for it like this:

is really lame, not to mention dumb. By your own admission you don't even know what you're escaping from, stop fronting.
Okay, fair enough. My point was that I'm actually a bit disappointed that I'm not up enough on mainstream music to appreciate what Al is doing anymore. I just said it in a lovely, elitist way. Sorry about that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheNinjaScotsman posted:

This "behind the scenes" write up by the creator of the Word Crimes video is pretty interesting. There are a lot more hidden jokes than I thought there were.

http://spaceparanoids.net/wordcrimes/
Good god, there was a ton of work that went into making this :stare:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Maybe it's because I was at a liberal arts college and therefore the duration of Blurred Lines' popularity was amplified by endless discussion of rape culture, but that poo poo was ubiquitous and I never listen to pop radio. I first heard it during the NBA Finals when it was the Beats Pill song.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

ComposerGuy posted:

Because even strictly from a pure musical standpoint, Al is near the top of working musicians in the entire business. His arranging chops are stellar, and his band might be the best there's ever been, or at least in the discussion (their ability to seamlessly shift through such radically different styles and nail them is a constant wonder). Even forgetting the actual straight-up parodies, his originals that instead take the "style" of a certain artist or band are often so good that he out-does them (Mark Mothersbaugh once commented that Al's "Dare To Be Stupid" is the perfect DEVO song and he wished he had written it).

Being dismissive of Al because of what he does is a huge, HUGE mistake. He's absolutely a massively talented and highly skilled musician, and is well thought of inside the industry itself.

This is so true. He is a genuine musical talent and gets right to the core of pop music and pop culture like nobody else. The fact that he does silly parodies makes him I guess seem childish or uncool to a lot of people but he's quite brilliant.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Maybe it's because I was at a liberal arts college and therefore the duration of Blurred Lines' popularity was amplified by endless discussion of rape culture, but that poo poo was ubiquitous and I never listen to pop radio. I first heard it during the NBA Finals when it was the Beats Pill song.

I'm sorry, what? :stare:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Xoidanor posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/18/robin-thicke-blurred-lines-rapey_n_3461215.html

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Xoidanor posted:

Well "Blurred Lines" = the blurred lines between consensual sex and rape and a lot of the lyrics sound like stuff a rapist would say to his victim. Basically Robin Thicke is a rapist.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Huh, I guess I never actually did listen to the lyrics the few times I've heard that song.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I honestly think the poo poo in that song isn't much worse than like half of Prince's back catalog but I guess it's a good thing that people are starting to take notice of suspect lyrics.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Blurred Lines is more really creepy* in its lyricism than actually offensive. If anything, the parody is more offensive, because he uses the word 'spastic'.

* really really really really really creepy, but yeah

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Is that Windows 95 in the Word Crimes video? :stare:

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Bown posted:

If anything, the parody is more offensive, because he uses the word 'spastic'.
I thought that was a surprising choice. I know that word doesn't carry nearly the baggage in the US that it does in the UK; I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's unaware of how it's perceived outside the US?

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

het posted:

I thought that was a surprising choice. I know that word doesn't carry nearly the baggage in the US that it does in the UK; I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he's unaware of how it's perceived outside the US?

I know it's a loaded word elsewhere, but what does it actually refer to? It's derogatory for cerebral palsy patients, right? Something like that?

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

het posted:

I had absolutely no idea that word had any big connotations outside the US. I have learned this fact literally just now. So in fairness, he probably didn't.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In the US it's usually shortened to "spazz" and refers to socially awkward kids who freak out over small things. The only time I've heard about it having any connotations beyond that is tumblr "ableist scum!" posts that also criticize people for using "stupid."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, "spastic" in the US is just something 8 year olds call each other. That and "spaz." I was surprised to hear it because it's actually super outdated over here. I haven't heard anyone say it since the 90's.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Spastic" is an offensive term? Huh, you learn something new every day.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

In the UK the term spastic is linked strongly with cerebral palsy thanks to the charity the Spastics Society founded in the 50s, which eventually changed it's name to Scope due to "spastic" becoming an hugely popular insult in playgrounds across the UK.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Al has always used words like that, which may or may not be offensive. He's got a history of kinda toeing the line.

Finally giving this album a proper listen, and even though I don't recognize some of the parodies, I'm digging it a lot. Going to have to go back and check out the last few albums now, to see what I've been missing out on.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
OK, I'm liking-to-loving most of the tracks here, but I got to "Jackson Park Express" and this poo poo is just perfect. It's so Cat Stevens I don't even know where to begin. Absolutely amazing send-up and I was laughing through a good chunk of it.

SO glad he came back to the 9-plus-minute track to end albums. I'd put this one right in there with "Albuquerque" and "Genius in France". Hard to pick a favorite.

...of course my heart will always belong to "The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.
Word crimes is the schoolhouse rock of the new generation.

That was a great song, and I only know the original because I'm a huge fan of boobies and that vid had them. Only watching the one video a day and so far Al is two for two.

• Locked thread