Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Blurred lines is a weird video. My mom was reading all the articles about it and asked me to watch it to see what I thought, and what immediately struck me is how sexy it's not. The women in the video seem to be there the same way that a lamp or a table might be, and they all look about as excited as that lamp or table. It's like how a serial killer sees women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Full Battle Rattle posted:

. It's like how a serial killer sees women.

This is actually very faithful to the spirit of the song.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Heh. In the "Word Crimes" video, I just noticed the two turtles hanging out by the sewer hole.

vaginadeathgrip
Jun 18, 2003

all them bitches can't handle my sassy ass mouth
Word Crimes makes that song bearable, but am much more fond of his originals. One More Minute will always be my favorite, and is a good song to play for your recently dumped friends.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Hardware Store is amazing and still my favorite "original" Weird Al song.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Al did an AMA on Reddit today. There are some interesting questions, including more details about what he plans to do now that his record deal is complete.

He's likely going to release individual songs more frequently, but sadly he says the album's polka medley may be the last one. Apparently they're a lot of work to put together. That makes me sad because they're always one of my favorite parts of the albums.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

radlum posted:

Yes

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

radlum posted:

Oh, absolutely. Poodle Hat isn't one of his best, but that song is just so fun.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
When was the last time Weird Al did a grossout/cringe song? 'One More Minute' was one, I swear there were more.

Anyone who doesn't like Weird Al should be forcefed Twinkie Wiener Sandwiches.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."

sticklefifer posted:

When was the last time Weird Al did a grossout/cringe song? 'One More Minute' was one, I swear there were more.

Anyone who doesn't like Weird Al should be forcefed Twinkie Wiener Sandwiches.

"Trash Day" and "Why Does This Always Happen To Me?" have their share of grossouts and graphic violence, respectively.

I can't stop listening to "Inactive". I already liked Radioactive (despite everyone playing the poo poo out of it) and the fact that he actually made it a lot LESS repetitive by changing the lyrics around with each chorus adds a lot to the parody.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!

Crazy Dastard posted:

"Trash Day" and "Why Does This Always Happen To Me?" have their share of grossouts and graphic violence, respectively.

"A Complicated Song" also flies a little close to the line. What with the constipation, incest and decapitation.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
One of my favorite Weird Al songs is Skipper Dan, an original song, which is about an actor who failed at starting a career and ends up being a Jungle Cruise skipper for the rest of his life. It's barely even a funny song at all. It's just sad. And I think it's one of the best songs Al has ever written.

squirreltactic
Sep 17, 2003
I always felt a similar way about Airline Amy, although I wouldn't go as far as to call it one of his best. It's not a funny song but it's catchy and sweet. :3:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Video for Foil is up :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0TEJMJOhk

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Handy is a loving masterpiece.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Foil takes such a hilarious turn. That video has some great guest spots, too (Tom Lennon and Ben Garant!). Should I recognize any of the back-up singers? One of the women looks familiar to me, but I can't really place any of their faces.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Naet posted:

Foil takes such a hilarious turn. That video has some great guest spots, too (Tom Lennon and Ben Garant!).

Also Patton Oswalt as the director-turned-lizard-man.

This is one example where the video makes the song about three times better.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
The first verse of Foil is so dry and conventional that the brilliant second verse just blows you away.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
The first verse is the setup for the punch in the second verse. The song really benefits from that music video.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The second verse was already hilarious but that video made it even funnier.

I have cousins who post on facebook about the new world order and chemtrails and poo poo so I always find that stuff really funny

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Not really feeling Foil. It was kind of amusing but not particularly brilliant.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Foil was amusing, but not as good as the previous two. Still, the seemingly "normal" part turning into a conspiracy rant is the main gag of the song and the video made it better

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Sports Song

:ssh:http://h264-aws.vevo.com/v3/h264/2014/07/USRV81400342/usrv81400342_high_1280x720_h264_2000_aac_128.mp4:ssh:

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
Foil has to be my favorite video so far. I am waiting to hear all the songs as they come out with the videos so I wasn't expecting that second verse but that was just brilliant. I cannot wait for the rest of the videos. :dance:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

twistedbutterfly posted:

Foil has to be my favorite video so far. I am waiting to hear all the songs as they come out with the videos so I wasn't expecting that second verse but that was just brilliant. I cannot wait for the rest of the videos. :dance:

Yeah the second verse was kinda confusing when I heard it earlier today but it all made sense when I saw the video. :allears:

Soylent Heliotrope
Jan 27, 2009

I actually think the the first verse of "Foil" is funnier than the second because I am a sucker for dry humor. I did crack up at Al's facial expressions and lizard Patton Oswalt in the video though.

Al really knocked all the parodies on this one out of the park. Definitely a quality Weird Al album, although I'd be hard-pressed to name one that isn't.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Foil is amazing just for Patton Oswalt's "wait, what?" reaction once the second verse starts.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've also been waiting for the videos to listen to the songs, and for the first half of Foil I was like "this might be the weakest thing he's ever done." Then that second half hit and :vince:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

TheJoker138 posted:

I've also been waiting for the videos to listen to the songs, and for the first half of Foil I was like "this might be the weakest thing he's ever done." Then that second half hit and :vince:

I was thinking the same thing. Jeez Al, the food album was from 1993. It sucks being so wrong about something.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Foil is really fun because the first half comes off kind of like a parody of Weird Al songs. It's his humor at the most dad-level. Then the turn happens.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Foil is my favorite of the music videos so far, I wasn't a huge fan of either Tacky or Word Crimes to be honest - the former I can't even really point out why, other than it being a bit repetitive with few lyrics for the Weird Al treatment. Word Crimes had some weird-sounding rhythm to me at times, mismatched number of syllables and the sort, and I'm also kinda annoyed by the kind of general language-complaining it's about, even if it's simply a parody in that song's case. Foil was great though, and it also had by far the best video which really helped.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Foil is really fun because the first half comes off kind of like a parody of Weird Al songs. It's his humor at the most dad-level. Then the turn happens.

Yeah, once the twist happens, it becomes so obvious the first half is him parodying his own parodies. It's great. Plus, my grandfather legitimately believes most of the conspiracies he sang about, so that added extra humor for me.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Holy poo poo, this is awesome! Is one of the MIBs Robert Garant?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BigRed0427 posted:

Holy poo poo, this is awesome! Is one of the MIBs Robert Garant?

Yep, the other one is Tom Lennon.

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

"Typhoid, rattlers, and now drownin' in rivers? I think we need ourselves a new leader, or we're goin' the way o' the Donner Party."
Given the awesome quality of the Foil video I hope to hell that he's done one for Inactive. I know Al usually has either a third party make an animated video or collaborates with someone if they're live-action due to budget restraints from his label, but given how "iconic" the original video for Radioactive was I would love to see his treatment of it for Inactive.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Insurrectionist posted:

Foil is my favorite of the music videos so far, I wasn't a huge fan of either Tacky or Word Crimes to be honest - the former I can't even really point out why, other than it being a bit repetitive with few lyrics for the Weird Al treatment.

I don't think he repeats any lines in the whole of "Tacky" unless I missed it somehow.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Crazy Dastard posted:

Given the awesome quality of the Foil video I hope to hell that he's done one for Inactive. I know Al usually has either a third party make an animated video or collaborates with someone if they're live-action due to budget restraints from his label, but given how "iconic" the original video for Radioactive was I would love to see his treatment of it for Inactive.

Al gave an interview where he said that his label gave him NO money for videos this time around. Literally all of these are being produced out of his own pocket or via partnerships with media sites (Nerdist, College Humor, Jib-Jab, etc.).

radlum
May 13, 2013

ComposerGuy posted:

Al gave an interview where he said that his label gave him NO money for videos this time around. Literally all of these are being produced out of his own pocket or via partnerships with media sites (Nerdist, College Humor, Jib-Jab, etc.).

To be honest, that's not bad. Al doesn't need huge budget and this gives those sites more exposure and I guess more freedom to do weird things like Word Crimes

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

radlum posted:

To be honest, that's not bad. Al doesn't need huge budget and this gives those sites more exposure and I guess more freedom to do weird things like Word Crimes

Oh for sure. I don't think he looks at it as a bad thing. He wouldn't be doing 8 of them otherwise.

You know, this 8 videos in 8 days event just feels right as sort of an "event" for what is likely his last studio album release. It's a really big and cool way to transition out into self-releasing singles. Lot's of cameos, good cross-promotions, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Dastard
Aug 30, 2004

ComposerGuy posted:

Oh for sure. I don't think he looks at it as a bad thing. He wouldn't be doing 8 of them otherwise.

You know, this 8 videos in 8 days event just feels right as sort of an "event" for what is likely his last studio album release. It's a really big and cool way to transition out into self-releasing singles. Lot's of cameos, good cross-promotions, etc.

I'm torn on the digital distribution thing. I love having physical media to go back to ripping mp3's from when I have a hard drive crash, and having liner notes and cool pictures is always a plus. Digital distribution feels more like software, and sure Al will probably include a liner note .pdf with pictures and videos all the same, but I'll still miss the production values.

Not to mention there's always the possible issues of a digital distributor site requiring bullshit DRM software, limiting downloads or failing, etc. etc. Amazon, for example, is pretty annoying with their Amazon Music Downloader and iTunes is such bullshit I refuse to use it.

• Locked thread