Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bartok
May 10, 2006

Lord Waffle Beard posted:

Even with all the explanation I dont understand what happened here

Yeah I don't get it either.

For me kayfabe was broken during WWE TV highlights of the 1992 Royal Rumble ending where they rerecorded the commentary and the audience reaction to make Sid Justice come off as a heel for eliminating Hulk Hogan and subsequently getting eliminated by Hogan's heelish poor sportsmanship. I don't care how the WWF tried to rewrite history, I knew even as little kid and huge Hulkamaniac that Hogan was in the wrong and it was his fault that jerk Ric Flair won the championship. That is when kayfabe and Hulkamania died for a young Bartok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartok
May 10, 2006

Burt Buckle posted:

I think it's weird to hear that people ever thought wrestling was real. I can never remember a time where I thought it was real.

Did you start watching during the Attitude Era? Or were you teenager when you started watching?

I was fairly young when I started to watch which was about several months before Wrestlemania 6 and kayfabe was live and well.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Thauros posted:

The first time I saw wrestling I would've been about five in roughly 1987. As I said in the other wrestling memories thread, the very first thing my dad said to me was "you know this is fake, right"?

My parents knew it was fake but they played along. It also didn't help that my grandpa and my source for wrestling PPV videos believed it was real until the day he died.
Gramps always hated Hulk Hogan with a passion and could get really worked up. I remember watching Wrestlemania 9 with him and him just swearing up a storm over Hogan beating Yokozuna for the title. He also went off about how Hogan hosed over Bret Hart like he hosed over Bob Backlund back in the day because there is no way that chicken poo poo would put the title up against a guy who could wrestle circles around him.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I wonder how many kids had kayfabe broken for them by going to a Smackdown tapping and seeing a match redone.

• Locked thread