Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I bet it's Gackt under there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

I bet it's Gackt under there.

Knowing Nomura it's Lightning under the armor.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Unironically love that batman helmet.

Robo-red rain batman is awesome.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Rirse posted:

Knowing Nomura it's Lightning under the armor.

No, Toriyama's the one obsessed with Lightning. Nomura's one true love is Haley Joel Osment.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

I really liked Ultimate Spider-Woman's costume. It was simple, but really nice.

(Haha, I never noticed Miles' knee and elbow pads.)

Her new one is awful.

Not that anyone seemed to be able to agree on how it (the first one there) was supposed to be drawn. Especially the hood part, which got like 3 variants (yours there got different eyes and don't connect directly to the bottom of the hair? That or a coloring error), or the back with how the spider-legs were supposed to work.

No artist drew that the same :v:

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Dacap posted:

Crosspost from the Marvel thread, here's a bunch of new costumes showing the designs for the new female Thor, Falcon as Cap, and a new Iron Man armor. I overall like the Thor, the Iron Man is kind of bland and the Cap design is way to busy in the chest and has a lot of extraneous elements like the massive belt buckle and side ridges that it would look better without.

The fact that he gets to keep the wings is awesome.

I'm a sucker for Cap really. When everything is back to normal in a year or whatever, I want someone to do a Cap Corps book, where Steve leads a team with Iron Patriot, FalconCap, BuckyCap and Punisher Cap.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

That's not even properly showing off the "best" part: WING ARMS!

Because sometimes we need a reminder that yes, things can be even worse than the AmeComi statues.
Not even the first time this has been done:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Hey Batman, what're you playing?

fatherboxx posted:

Tetsuya Nomura Batman :catstare:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

fatherboxx posted:

Tetsuya Nomura Batman :catstare:

Honestly ditch the wing arms and change the helmet and that looks like a pretty fun alternate take.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Captain Oblivious posted:

Honestly ditch the wing arms and change the helmet and that looks like a pretty fun alternate take.

From that angle it kind of looks like he had a stylized version of Black Manta's helmet on his chest.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What was the deal with the armpit webs Spidey had in his original costume? Were they functional in anyway?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Probably just some sort of armpit hair puberty metaphor to go along with the rest of the character.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

zoux posted:

What was the deal with the armpit webs Spidey had in his original costume? Were they functional in anyway?

Nope. Spider-Woman did use her underarm webs to glide, but I can't recall Spidey ever using his for anything.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

404GoonNotFound posted:

That's not even properly showing off the "best" part: WING ARMS!

Because sometimes we need a reminder that yes, things can be even worse than the AmeComi statues.

Not gonna lie, if KC Bats made the Batbots look like that, I am pretty sure criminal's pants making GBS threads would be up by 50000%.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Not gonna lie, if KC Bats made the Batbots look like that, I am pretty sure criminal's pants making GBS threads would be up by 50000%.

gently caress criminals being a superstitious and cowardly lot, you put those things flying around, average non-criminals will be pissing their pants.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
I've always liked Keith Giffen's version of Mon-El's costume from the 5 Years Later Legion of Super Heroes series.

It looks solid and heavy, like it's made of wool. Also, those giant buttons, holding on his cape!

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
I dunno, it looks to me like Mon-El recently lost a bunch of weight, and hasn't bothered replacing his clothes.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Chaos Hippy posted:

I dunno, it looks to me like Mon-El recently lost a bunch of weight, and hasn't bothered replacing his clothes.

Well, he had just been dead for a few years. That might be it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I love costume discussion. Not that I have anything to add, the OP is pretty great though, and the worst part of internet creatives doing cool redesigns is when you compare them to what is standard in comics right now.

I think Extremis Iron Man by I assume Adi Granov was Tony's peak look. Since then it's all gone downhill, even in the movies.

I would love to hear on designs people know are terrible but are still nostalgic about. I've liked a lot of Wonder Man's terrible outfits and Kyle Rayner's crab mask.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The amount of great designs on Project: Rooftop going unused in favor of bland traditionalist garbage was so frustrating, I had to give up reading it for a while.

I'm a big fan of Aztek. Even though his design is all kinds of goofy, it just works. The gold and grey on white with the gigantic, spiky helmet. He fits right in on the JLA.

The Wonder Woman design from a few years ago wasn't bad either. Just not for Wonder Woman. But it would be miles ahead of what Cassie's been wearing in Teen Titans lately.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Project Rooftop suffers a lot from "Oh wow look at this cool design! Drawing it for thirty pages every month would make you swallow a pistol barrel, but it's really cool!"

Deathlok's new Steve Austin look is as inspired as it is dumb.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Project Rooftop suffers a lot from "Oh wow look at this cool design! Drawing it for thirty pages every month would make you swallow a pistol barrel, but it's really cool!"

What, like having to draw the webbing on Spidey's outfit isn't in the same category of huge hassle?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah? Project Rooftop suffers from major over-design issues.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Chinaman7000 posted:

I would love to hear on designs people know are terrible but are still nostalgic about. I've liked a lot of Wonder Man's terrible outfits and Kyle Rayner's crab mask.

I admit I am nostalgic for Wonder Man's red safari jacket and sunglasses outfit. And speaking of safari, how about Kraven the Hunter's lionface vest with the massive furry shoulders? (I could have done without the leopard-print tights and slippers though.)

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah? Project Rooftop suffers from major over-design issues.

Is it any worse than most of George Perez's costumes?

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Costume talk! There are a lot I really don't like. And most of them are women in stupid over sexualized outfits with stiletto heels that don't make any sense, would require metres of double sided tape, or would render the wearer incapable of doing more than carefully posing.

Too many books try and be serious and realistic and gritty and the men are all nearly completely covered from the neck down while the women are in swimsuits or other ridiculous nonsense. It just wrecks it tonally From what I've seen Marvel is trying to move away from this, but stuff like the Justice League and Suicide Squad and the Lanterns in DC are all really super bad about it.

But, there are exceptions to my hate. Like Elsa Bloodstone.

Elsa Bloodstone in Nextwave, has a bare midriff, plunging top and stiletto boots. Usually a terrible combination but for the book it works. Nextwave is loving ridiculous, features opponents grown from genetically modified broccoli, and Elsa is arrogant and gives absolutely no fucks. And the book is heavily stylized with Stuart Immonen on art. And he never draws her in cheesecakey poses. The further you get from reality, the more you can get away with before something is stupid. And when the other two women on the team are wearing completely different outfits, and flats, that means it was a deliberate choice and not just defaulting to lazy sexy costumes.

Basically if this can happen in your comic book and it totally works with the rest of it as far as tone goes, you can wear the highest stilettos you want.

And Bulleteer in Seven Soldiers.

Her outfit and the art in the book is all cheesecake pinup super sexy looking stuff. And it's 100% deliberate because the book is hugely about sex and superheros and aging. She got her superpowers because her husband had a teenage superhero fetish and wanted her to never age and be attractive forever and he designed the costume, so of course it shows off way too much chest for any reasonable person fighting crime. And I like the underwear shaped piping on the back of it, it's clever.

So yeah for me, context is key. If you're writing about sex, or writing sometime ridiculous and the outfits are revealing you'll get more of a pass than if you're trying to write a grim drama where 75% of the women forgot that pants are a thing.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I like that Batgirl outfit. It's pretty great. One of my best friends drew a bunch of fan art for it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Favorite costume of my favorite villain. (Can't find as good pictures in the actual Nextwave comic)

I'm all for basically anything MODOK

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Selachian posted:

And speaking of safari, how about Kraven the Hunter's lionface vest with the massive furry shoulders? (I could have done without the leopard-print tights and slippers though.)

His design on the MTV show was good despite not having the big, floofy mane. Like the dude from GTA4 in biker gear.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Are you guys going to talk about wonder woman's outfit from the new superman film?

I don't know if this thread is comic books only but comic book movie outfits seem like a relevant topic.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I like it. It looks like a high-production version of Xena's outfit. Could use a bit less muted colours, but it's a Snyder superhero movie, so everything has to look dark and sleek I guess. Not sure about the heels/wedges and the overknee boots in general though, but they aren't stiletto heels, so that's already a plus. Also, I hope they give her a leaf-shaped xiphos as sword in the film, it fits best with the origin and has also the coolest look.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Decius posted:

I like it. It looks like a high-production version of Xena's outfit. Could use a bit less muted colours, but it's a Snyder superhero movie, so everything has to look dark and sleek I guess. Not sure about the heels/wedges and the overknee boots in general though, but they aren't stiletto heels, so that's already a plus. Also, I hope they give her a leaf-shaped xiphos as sword in the film, it fits best with the origin and has also the coolest look.

Someone in the Movie thread said that it's actually blue and red if you take it into Photoshop and adjust the filters.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

If you look at side of her left leg, you can see skin at the knee and further down, which makes me think that might be armor instead of a crazy boot. If that's the case I am ok with it, because it would be like a stylized version of what ancient greeks actually wore. Less ok with the fact that they're over serious wedges, and the whole open collar look, but its significantly better than I had expected.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My main problem with it is she looks blurry as hell. That pic has been photoshopped from hell to breakfast so while the design looks cool, I can't really say I like it or not because drat. It's like the photoshopped her into the costume, and then into the background as well.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ashcans posted:

If you look at side of her left leg, you can see skin at the knee and further down, which makes me think that might be armor instead of a crazy boot. If that's the case I am ok with it, because it would be like a stylized version of what ancient greeks actually wore. Less ok with the fact that they're over serious wedges, and the whole open collar look, but its significantly better than I had expected.

Yeah, it looks like a low boot with shin armor.

If you look at the left boot (her right) you can see that the armor is actually curved above the toe of the boot.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Aside from the combat heels that costume came out looking decent. I like the look of the shin armor as it looks like it offers a little protection. The skirt could be a little longer but they cast a beauty queen for the role so might as well show off some legs for Snyder. But otherwise it could have looked like that horrible NBC pilot outfit. It's a pity Adrianne Palicki didn't get another shot at the role since she's closer to Wonder Woman's size.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

I really like how all nextwave does to dress as a unit is wear matching trench coats and the Captain can't even do that right.

Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers had some good designs.

I never read anything about the Guardian, but this is a good combination of the classic suit and tactical SWAT gear.

I've always liked Zatanna's look. You know what she's gonna do and it's also her stage costume. I saw a lot of modifications to her look that just open up the shirt to frame her cleavage like Power Girl and I wasn't into her last outfit in her Seven Soldiers mini.

This is a good redesign for her. I do think she needs the hat, though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a waitress uniform.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Skcitsdaerb etinifni!

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, simply give her Zatara's costume, would look a lot better than this. Although I must say that Zatana is one of the few female Superheroes I don't have an issue with running around bare (hose covered) legged. I don't think the result of a redesign must always be "cover women up", it should be a sensible costume and/or a costume that fits the character, which can very much be sexy instead of sexualised. Emma Frost running around like she's just run out of Scott's bedroom is fitting, Psylocke or Ms (Captain) Marvel is not, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Decius posted:

Yeah, simply give her Zatara's costume, would look a lot better than this. Although I must say that Zatana is one of the few female Superheroes I don't have an issue with running around bare (hose covered) legged. I don't think the result of a redesign must always be "cover women up", it should be a sensible costume and/or a costume that fits the character, which can very much be sexy instead of sexualised. Emma Frost running around like she's just run out of Scott's bedroom is fitting, Psylocke or Ms (Captain) Marvel is not, basically.

Have they ever done a gag where Emma Frost just projects an illusion that she is wearing some sort of skimpy thing and she's really running around in sweats and comfy shoes?

• Locked thread