Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

Have they ever done a gag where Emma Frost just projects an illusion that she is wearing some sort of skimpy thing and she's really running around in sweats and comfy shoes?

Don't know about outfit, but in regards to illusion, she showed up in Old Man Logan looking the same as ever and when Logan (or Hawkeye I forget) questioned it she called them dumb and said of course it was an illusion and she had aged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I love this take on Punisher by Paolo Rivera, from a short arc during Brand New Day era. Alcoholic Uncle Frank :allears:

More artists should take liberties with the design on their brief assignments.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

I love this take on Punisher by Paolo Rivera, from a short arc during Brand New Day era. Alcoholic Uncle Frank :allears:

More artists should take liberties with the design on their brief assignments.

The skull on his shirt just looks so happy. Maybe a little bashful. It is delightful.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Tin Of Beans posted:

The skull on his shirt just looks so happy. Maybe a little bashful. It is delightful.

Like it's watching everything Frank does, but it's not a particularly violent skull on its own. "Frank, you just - JESUS that was his carotid - sorry, pal - oh, my g- oh no, not the bazooka!"

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Any drawing of Frank Castle smiling creeps me out

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

hup posted:

Any drawing of Frank Castle smiling creeps me out

Now I've got this mental image of a Punisher version of the "creepy Batman smile" from JL8.

BRB, scrubbing out brain with wire brush...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
With the pouch teeth it looks like the skull version of :haw:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Found a really good tumblr that is mostly about comics.

Ramon Villalobos' designs for What If: Age of Ultron. I am not a big fan of Joe Keatinge (a guy I should love in theory based on his taste and around-comics stuff he does, actual comics by him are ehhh) but I got to hunt it down.

Corto Maltese Wolverine is as good as Corto Maltese Diehard from Prophet.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really don't dig any of those. Making Ghost Rider look "sleeker" seems especially misguided.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Kung Fu Hulk is pretty cool. Makes me wonder how strong he would be if he fought with a proper combat system than just flail around.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

All I can think about is how itchy Peter's beard would get under that mask.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I like the smile on hulk in that last picture. Dude's finally found inner peace.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Legit amazing wolverine costume, and really should be his real one.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Wapole Languray posted:

Legit amazing wolverine costume, and really should be his real one.
I hope you mean the one with the sea captain hat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wolverine: Good at boats???

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

zoux posted:

Wolverine: Good at boats???

"I'm the best there is at what I do, and what I do ain't on land."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The "I just grabbed whatever out of my closet because gently caress it I'm retired" Spiderman is my favorite by far.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

redbackground posted:

I hope you mean the one with the sea captain hat.
Wolverine as Corto Maltese would be worth it even for the joke of him hanging around with (Piotr) Rasputin.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nevvy Z posted:

The "I just grabbed whatever out of my closet because gently caress it I'm retired" Spiderman is my favorite by far.

WOMAN, WHERE IS MY SUPER-SUIT? I CAN ONLY FIND THE MASK AND THE GLOVES

"I think it's in the attic, check the back of the closet, I'm sure one of them is back there, maybe that black one you like"

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

fatherboxx posted:

Tetsuya Nomura Batman :catstare:

HOLY loving CHRIST THAT IS COOL.

Also, I'm surprised a Halloween thread isn't up yet, though I suppose I should wait till early next month...

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
We've been putting costumes out where I work, but so far all I've seen is Sexy Spider-Girl. Which is bullshit because it has a picture of Mayday Parker right next to the lady in a red and blue minidress. If you're gonna lie, wouldn't you also hide the truth?

Also I'm sad because I have yet to see Sexy Groot.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

HitTheTargets posted:

Also I'm sad because I have yet to see Sexy Groot.

Poison ivy???

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

It really bugs me when costumes have things with buttons and zippers that you know have no hope in closing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair those exist a lot in the "fashionable" world as well. Hell look at pockets on many jeans/pants for ladies.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??
I've always loved the cliche that superheroes wear primary colours (red, yellow and blue) and supervillains wear secondary colours (namely green and purple). Never so much orange as a secondary colour. The only example I can think of is the Thing, who like the Hulk whilst a hero is also presented as a monster. And it is cancelled out by the blue shorts.

FF #12

It's fantastic visual shorthand for good versus evil, noble versus bent. Does it all tie directly to Superman, or was it a thing in comics before he came along? Popeye seems to follow a similar trend.

But how much of a thing is it these days? It feels more like a remnant of the days of both superheros as more simple morality tales and of less effective printing technology. Hero's these days tend to be a bit more drab. Obviously, it persists due to a lot of hero's with their iconic looks from back in the day. But looking at the current Avengers roster (ignore the grey they're all wearing as of the current issue) it still seems like a thing. Even if they're wearing a lot of black like Smasher, Manifold and Hyperion it's still accentuated with red or a snappy yellow cape/belt ensemble. Even Black Widow has the red hair and yellow accessories. There is Hawkeye, who tends to have a bit of purple going on, but he was originally a villain wasn't he?

What about brand new heroes/villains? Do they still follow the trend?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The Prowler was a hero, and he wore green and purple :colbert:

(yea he was mostly a criminal but he reformed and then got all paralyzed and hosed up but his costume was god damned amazing)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Hulk's pants are traditionally purple, not blue.

And there are plenty of green-costumed heroes to choose from, including Green Arrow and Green Lantern.

As for orange, well ... Chameleon Boy of the Legion? The Legion's classic costumes do display a broader color palette, probably since there were so many of them they needed to use as many colors as possible to make them visually distinctive. See also Brainiac 5 (green skin, purple coveralls), Timber Wolf (orange and black), Element Lad and Shrinking Violet (green costumes, and E-Lad later changed to purple). Wolverine eventually ditched his original yellow-and-blue costume for an orange-and-brown number too.

I don't think it's a trend set by Superman. It's more to do with the limited selection of colors that colorists had to work with back in the day. And I don't see it continuing today. If anything, red coupled with black is practically a cliche for villains now (Carnage, the Hood, the Red Hood...)

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Selachian posted:

The Hulk's pants are traditionally purple, not blue.

Yeah but the Things aint :v:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Great OP!

I was recently reminded of this Spidey outfit from JMS' run, that I always liked.

the wiki kind of explains it maybe - http://spiderman.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Parker_%28Earth-312500%29
The jacket was even reversible so he could easily go from casual Peter to Spidey. Shame it never came into the story proper. Jackets are definitely big in superhero fashion lately.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
If I saw someone irl with that jacket I would ask them if they were loving serious.

In other words, it's terrible.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If I saw someone in pretty much any costume just walking around I would have a similar reaction. Not sure what your point is.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
No, like if I saw someone with a really good original Spidey costume, I'd be like "hey man that's a really good Spider-Man costume." If I saw someone in that abomination above, I'd say "hey man, what the gently caress is wrong with you and how does that stupid loving jacket even work?"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Martello posted:

No, like if I saw someone with a really good original Spidey costume, I'd be like "hey man that's a really good Spider-Man costume." If I saw someone in that abomination above, I'd say "hey man, what the gently caress is wrong with you and how does that stupid loving jacket even work?"

What do you mean "How does it work?" It's a jacket, I've seen plenty of jackets that look like that (sans spider logo).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Jackets are definitely big in superhero fashion lately.

Not just lately.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Martello posted:

Well, it's a jacket, so you put it on and button it up.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

DigitalRaven posted:

Not just lately.

Buddy had a really good reason for the jacket though,
he was afraid people could tell he was getting fat.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Martello posted:

If I saw someone in that abomination above, I'd say "hey man, what the gently caress is wrong with you and how does that stupid loving jacket even work?"

It's a double breasted jacket dude they are an extremely common form of jacket.

I mean it's a terrible costume but this is the worst angle to be attacking it from.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Martello posted:

No, like if I saw someone with a really good original Spidey costume, I'd be like "hey man that's a really good Spider-Man costume." If I saw someone in that abomination above, I'd say nothing until I got home then I'd post on the internet about how I totally burned some guy for wearing a weird jacket, then I'd jerk one out and go to sleep alone but to dream of hope

This is the more likely situation.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It got redrawn in a new issue for some reason I do not know.

And I don't know what you guys are talking about. It looks great! (But I also liked both Scarlet Spider costumes in the clone saga, so hey.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Spider-Man, of all characters, isn't really the kind of hero that can pull off a leather jacket for regular use, what with the acrobatics and all. But, if I remember the story correctly, as a signifier that he's an old guy making his last stand, a Western-style bib jacket seems appropriate.

Is the concern that the bottom buttons aren't drawn? Because having to slide all of that over your head and then button 6 buttons anyway is kinda dumb.

• Locked thread