Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I like it in vacuo but it seems a poor fit for a superhero defined by agility and mobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
That's fair. No idea if it's meant to be leather, but even wool or other cloth material would be restrictive.

Another costumed that I didn't see mentioned was this Batman outfit I remember people talking about :

Probably shouldn't work, but it totally does.

By the way, why does Batman have no eyes?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

VagueRant posted:

That's fair. No idea if it's meant to be leather, but even wool or other cloth material would be restrictive.

Another costumed that I didn't see mentioned was this Batman outfit I remember people talking about :

They're supposed to be lenses on the mask, it's one of those things that works in art but not in live action

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

It's the same mask principle as seen in The Animated Series--just go with it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I'm pretty sure it's a stylistic thing that is descended from the fact that trying to actually illustrate eyes inside a mask was difficult given the print quality when some of the characters originate, so instead the artists would sketch the shape of the eye and leave it blank for contrast. That's why the white area will change with expressions as if it was the character's actual eye instead of a covering. It became iconic with early characters like Phantom and Batman, and adopted into part of the way things were drawn even once the quality was no longer a limiting factor.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I mean, despite the amazing job the two live action Spider-man franchises did with the eyes, the mask still doesn't emote like in the comics. You can't think about these things too hard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

VagueRant posted:

I really appreciate that Capullo put Batman on a two-stroke and properly illustrated the smoke. Less impressed that the brakes don't have calipers.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's actually a fixed gear motorcycle.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
re: eyes in costumes

I just read The Return of Barry Allen story arc from Waid's Flash run and Barry brings that up on Wally's costume. With Barry's you could see his eyes, but Wally's has his eyescovered.

"People trust you more if they see your eyes" is the point he was saying.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Dacap posted:

They're supposed to be lenses on the mask, it's one of those things that works in art but not in live action

I think it could work but every live-action version I've seen with the lenses makes them convex and bulge out of the mask which is loving stupid, since in every version of the mask drawn that way it appears to be a flat plate put over the eye-hole. I mean yeah it'd be impossible to see out of that but that's how it's drawn.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah I mean, despite the amazing job the two live action Spider-man franchises did with the eyes, the mask still doesn't emote like in the comics. You can't think about these things too hard.

One day.

One day.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

I think it could work but every live-action version I've seen with the lenses makes them convex and bulge out of the mask which is loving stupid, since in every version of the mask drawn that way it appears to be a flat plate put over the eye-hole. I mean yeah it'd be impossible to see out of that but that's how it's drawn.
There was a brief and effective nod to it during the climax of The Dark Knight when Bruce turns on the sonar thingy to see inside the building where the hostages are.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VagueRant posted:

It got redrawn in a new issue for some reason I do not know.

And I don't know what you guys are talking about. It looks great! (But I also liked both Scarlet Spider costumes in the clone saga, so hey.)
Why is future Peter Parker always fat?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

redbackground posted:

There was a brief and effective nod to it during the climax of The Dark Knight when Bruce turns on the sonar thingy to see inside the building where the hostages are.

It looked loving stupid. It had little lips on the inside of the eyelids and it extended beyond the eye-holes. Then again this is a series of film adaptations that took until their fifth sequel to realize that the costume might work better if the actor inside could turn their head.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 11, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

He was creepy nursing home skinny in Reign...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Say Nothing posted:

He's still human. Happens to Batman too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

It looked loving stupid. It had little lips on the inside of the eyelids and it extended beyond the eye-holes. Then again this is a series of film adaptations that took until their fifth sequel to realize that the costume might work better if the actor inside could turn their head.
I guess it's been too long, but I just remember the eye parts of the mask basically filling in with a white glow for like 2 shots. I will revisit.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Schneider Heim posted:

re: eyes in costumes

I just read The Return of Barry Allen story arc from Waid's Flash run and Barry brings that up on Wally's costume. With Barry's you could see his eyes, but Wally's has his eyescovered.

"People trust you more if they see your eyes" is the point he was saying.

Counterpoint its Zoom which makes the whole conversation real ironic

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

He was creepy nursing home skinny in Reign...

Underwear Spider-Man internal monologuing about "the mask" best Spider-Man costume.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I don't think I ever liked the white Batman eyes. They maybe worked in the style of The Animated Series, but elsewhere not so much. I like him having normal eyes in the Nolan films, Injustice and the Arkham games. Though I suppose the eyeblack is pretty silly in the movies.

redbackground posted:

I guess it's been too long, but I just remember the eye parts of the mask basically filling in with a white glow for like 2 shots. I will revisit.

Say Nothing posted:

But his torso is shaped like a V and the jacket wrinkles in the flat part where a belly would be? The jacket makes him look bulkier than a skintight outfit would, but I don't see the fat.

He looked kind of tubby in his arctic Breaking Bad art on the last page with Wolverine and Hulk though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's still human. Happens to Batman too.
It seem to be worse for every future Lex Luthor. He looked like The Kingpin in The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Say Nothing posted:

Wealth and fame, he's ignored; donuts are his reward.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

loving love Spider-Jacket. Don't know what it is about that costume that speaks to me. Pretty much exclusively played with that costume in the one video game it was in.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Literally The Worst posted:

Counterpoint its Zoom which makes the whole conversation real ironic

He truly believed he was Barry at that time, so it was fine in my book.

To keep on topic: I have a real soft spot for (pre-Nu52) Jay Garrick's Flash costume. Nothing funnier than a guy in a shirt punching the lights out of you.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I have no idea how that helmet of his ever stayed on.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I have no idea how that helmet of his ever stayed on.

Don't quote me on this but in Mark Waid's Terminal Velocity they make mention of this when Jay is pulled out of retirement by Max and Impulse. He complains it always fell off and on the helmet has a tension band similar to old miner hard-hats from the 1930's, which means it mostly stays on by forming a vaccum with the air pocket between the top of your head and the dome-top of the helmet.

insert ./flash-fact gif here. I'm too cheap to buy the gif.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We've had a smilie for :flashfact: for about a decade dude. It arrived like 6 months after BSS was founded. : flashfact:

Also Mark Waid is loving awesome? Agreed? Agreed. :3:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ron Wimberly's Blade redesign

Read Prince of Cats!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The latest Batman/Superman featured some guys in Batman and Superman costumes.

I don't think the Batman dude looks too bad with eyes showing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

fatherboxx posted:

Ron Wimberly's Blade redesign

Read Prince of Cats!

That's not a bad look but it has nothing that people associate with what Blade is about.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

That's not a bad look but it has nothing that people associate with what Blade is about.

Neither had the 1998 Blade

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Plus Blade's been rocking the "all black Weseley Snipes" look for nearly 20 years. The only real difference between this redesign and the 98 one is that it's not longer actively trying to look like Snipes and stopped trying to look paramilitary.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

That's basically the perfect example of a Marvel Now! or whatever branding they want to use fresh update on the character. I'd read that Blade book.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't he get his hand cut off and replaced by an uzi?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Didn't he get his hand cut off and replaced by an uzi?

I believe it eventually got replaced. I'd like a Blade redesign that plays up the idea that he's a hundred year old Brit.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
To me it reads less "Brit" and more "Prince's Grandfather".

This is not a bad thing.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Wow, that design's awesome. Totally makes me wanna read a book about that dude, he looks really cool. Lots of attitude in his posing and costume.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hey, I was browsing the internet and found some stuff that looks interesting:

A concept from the original plan for Spider-Girl #60 which was at one point thought to be the last Spider-Girl story, for a flashforward with her brother as Spider-Man.

Also, this:

This was apparently supposed to be a 'mirror universe' Spider-Girl. Which I suppose works as she's certainly rather opposite to Spider-Girl. I think it might be a bit much for the '90s bad girl' scale, though.

A concept for future Molly from Runaways from a mock cover they did for a letters page:

An improvement over the Battle of the Atom version, right?

Thoughts?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Yvonmukluk posted:

A concept for future Molly from Runaways from a mock cover they did for a letters page:

An improvement over the Battle of the Atom version, right?

I liked fantasy blacksmith Molly :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

fatherboxx posted:

I liked fantasy blacksmith Molly :shrug:

I didn't like the idea of Molly actually being physically buff, since her powers are psychic. I always figured she was actually a ful-blown psychic like here parents, she just unconsciously manifested it as being strong and tough because she was only a kid. Kind of like Superboy's tactile telekinesis or whatever.

• Locked thread