Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Red Bones posted:

Let's not kid ourselves here, Ray Fisher is spending 99% of his scenes in a green bodysuit with the little mo cap ping pong balls on it.

Apropos of nothing, as somebody who works with motion capture boy oh boy does it raise my blood pressure when markers are referred to as "ping pong balls" and the suits are assumed to be green. I'm not picking on you specifically, I know that it's the layman's understanding of how that poo poo is set up, but my goodness I hear this all the time and it drives me bananas. But hey, goofy spandex suits are within the thread's topic, I think, so let's learn a little.

Green or blue suits are used when the intent is to have the performer present, but later comped out and replaced with digital effects. Like how you'd shoot performers against a green or blue screen and comp in parts of the environment or other effects later. This isn't motion capture, as in these instances the performers aren't having their movements recorded digitally for application onto a character. The solid-colored suit makes it easier to remove the performer from footage.

But because of the way motion capture systems track performers in space, markers or patterns or other equipment need to be added to the suits in order to be able to record their movement with the fidelity necessary to get usable data. This renders the single-color suit pretty much useless as a composition aid, in my experience. There's too much other stuff on top that complicates removing the performer from the scene. You'd still film the captured performance on traditional cameras so you'd have it available for reference or behind the scenes footage later, but not necessarily for use in the final production.

There are a bunch of different ways to capture motion, with more being developed all the time, and not all of them require markers or specialized patterns or extra equipment on your performers, but from what I've seen you don't often mix the above two in the way that they've become associated in the popular view.

The most commonly used markers that are often confused for ping pong balls, by the way, are much smaller than ping pong balls and are made of foam covered in a retro-reflective tape. Here's a torn marker I still have in my work bag from our capture session yesterday, it got ripped from its base when one of the performers got a little over-enthusiastic. You can see how it's covered in tape, made of foam inside, and reflects light from my flash like a motherfucker. That reflection is what makes these little suckers work for mocap.

A ping pong ball might work for some applications (maybe something like video tracking after the fact for compositing purposes), but for motion capture they're basically worthless and wouldn't show up on our cameras. Plus it would hurt a lot more to fall or roll on a ping pong ball as opposed to a little squishy foam thing, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvLYY3sFUAE

Anyway, the "green suit and ping pong balls" misnomer is a bit of a pet peeve of mine so I hope you didn't mind me taking the opportunity to talk about it a little. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread