Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Every Red Robin costume has been awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

McSpanky posted:

Except the first one, but only because it was an homage to the Michael Keaton Batman.

I was just thinking about this earlier, and I can't remember if that was Dick or Tim. Where was Dick in KC if that wasn't him?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dacap posted:

Yeah, DC really has no idea what to do with Tim Drake. They really should have just eliminated him and Jason from the Robin history when they reduced it down to 5 years, but they couldn't do it without messing with Morrison's run.

He's stuck in this limbo where they won't have him grow up because he'll be too old for the Teen Titans, but they also won't keep him as Robin so he's stuck as this pointless pseudo-Robin identity.

I haven't been reading Future's End or Eternal at all, aren't there rumors that it's going to lead Tim taking over as Batman Beyond?

I would have loved a return to Dick as Robin, especially since they went back to Barbara as Batgirl, but they wanted Batman Inc to still be canon, I think.

Tim was Red Robin way before the New 52 hit though. Blame it all on Damian (even though I really like Damian and his Robin costume is my favorite).

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dacap posted:

Dick was always more interesting to me as Nightwing than as Robin and I think returning him to Robin would've been too much regression for the character. Tim was always my favourite Robin so it's kind of disappointing that he's been pushed out.

Agree, but the New 52 is basically nothing but regression and throwing out decades of positive character development in favor of what comics were like in the 60s, so I kind of wish they'd had the stones to full reset everything and let it develop in new and unusual ways.

This is the costume thread, right? I sure miss Superman's red trunks, I tell you what.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Gaz-L posted:

I kinda like his goofy little hand-guard things that JRJr seems determined to draw everyone with.

If his Mom didn't make them I'm not interested.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Not too nuts about that Power Girl but using the power button symbol is a drat cool idea and DC should steal it

e: Also that Samus outfit is cool and everything and totally paying homage to her roots as a very-inspired-by-Ripley character until you realize she's supposed to wear the power suit over it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The best Polaris costume is wedding dress + Magneto helmet made out of silverware.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That's why I love Quietly's All Star Superman look, he's built but not super lean and bodybuilder toned. As Clark he can slouch and he actually looks chubby making it even less likely that anybody is going to make the connection.

Fits the original circus strongman style for Superman too, since most of the classic circus strongmen didn't have amazing muscle definition, they were just massive slabs of men.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I've always been way more into the dodging/misdirection of bullets method of Why Batman Doesn't Get Shot. Like in Year One when the crooked cop is testifying how they shot Batman and nothing happened, the art is showing that he was hunched way down and they're shooting his cape because they can't see where his body is in the darkness.

I think as much as I love the Burton Batman, it started this trend of Batman's suit being bulletproof that's resulted in the Halo armor Batsuits of the Nolan movies, or the Iron Man but black power armors from the Arkham games, which are all designs I just hate.

Thats me though, I guess some people like Robo-Batman.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Injustice suit is the worst thing I've ever seen, honestly. He's got these silver plates everywhere. It's like George Clooney's suit from Batman & Robin except now for some reason it's considered cool and badass and not completely terrible.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Has superman even had a single issue with his new long sleeve glove look yet?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If he had a cape and more hair I'd be so down with that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She looks like even she is realizing how fuckin dumb that outfit is

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ghostlight posted:

It looks less like gore and more like he's just using shreds of his cape as makeshift sparring gloves to protect his famously sensitive knuckles from getting torn up while punching.

Except for the blood on his feet and splattered all over the ground beneath his fists.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batman & Robin is better than 2/3rds of the Nolan movies.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wasn't it sort of like, a separate-entity AI Alfred? Maybe it had like become self-aware over the years and just gotten really lonely.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Convergence #2 variant cover gives another look at the new WW.

Other than the wrist blades, I'm into it.

The WW look needs to lose the wrist blades and push the thigh-high boots down to regular knee boots and it'd be fine. With the WW belt, patterned loincloth, and boots, her hip/waist area is super busy and overdesigned.

I'd lose that loving new 52 collar that we still can't escape from too if it were up to me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

Arkham Knight bonus costume.

Somehow that's worse than the default Arkham Knight costume.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Say Nothing posted:

BatMatress.

Batress

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Inkspot posted:

If you really want to master stealth, do it in a costume that squeaks like crazy every time you move.

I imagine it makes farty noises when someone punches him.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It looks like his mom dressed him up before she let him out to play so he wouldn't hurt himself.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's Goretex, Jerry!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's really not that much busier than the Nolan batsuit or the default Arkham Knight Batman. Granted both of those are awful designs but still this isn't that big a deviation from the progression of robo-Batman from Arkham Asylum. He started out as a relatively normal Batman but with big mechanical gauntlet things and he's gotten more and more Iron Man in every game since.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Teenage Fansub posted:

and since we're Batmanning, here's the new Earth 2 one, from Earth 2 Society, which starts today (though this was from the Sneak Peek.)

I am a huge fan of this costume, but the two covers for Earth 2: Society really demonstrate how badly an artist can gently caress this up:

Inside the comic it's this really unique cape/coat hybrid with this big collar and sleeves that just billow out everywhere but on the cover it's just a :effort: black trenchcoat. The nosepiece thing is also pretty badly done on this one too.

Here's Dick on the other cover:

So much more stylin. Love the bat nose. The colors say "Classic Nightwing" and the coat says "Detective". I'm reading Earth 2: Society pretty much solely based on the strength of this costume design.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SirDan3k posted:

The cowl also says "hey there could be a mustache here, you don't know."

See, if only Capullo had thought of this Commissioner Gordon wouldn't have had to shave his!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Where is that costume going to be seen? Is it just Ross having a good time or are they putting that in a book now?

Please tell me they're not changing Miles' costume for 616.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I thought Peter was just going to be Miles' Master Splinter in the All New All Different Marvel Now! world?

It's kind of a cop out to make such a hullabaloo over Miles being the One True Spider-Man if Peter Parker is still running around in tights, starring in the same book he's had since the 60s.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well there's a lot of mainstream news about Miles being the "main" Spider-Man now, unless you're saying the people writing the comics don't matter. Unless I'm misunderstanding the entire situation.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Arkham games have always (except for Origins) had great gameplay with the absolute worst character designs these characters have ever been subjected to.

Batman started alright but has gradually turned into a hulked-out robot man and all the ladies have been uniformly terrible since the get-go.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

10 Beers posted:

The absolute travesty is that there's no classic Batman blue and gray suit to choose from.

Arkham City had a very faithful Neal Adams Batman as well as the B:TAS suit to choose from.

The real tragedy is that the rest of the game still looks like it does when you're wearing it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

I don't find it terrible because of how sexy it is, for the record. I just think it's horribly gaudy and kind of ruins a character that had a simple, elegant design.

It's definitely better than Sad Juggalo Harley from City where she just had smeary mascara in lieu of any kind of clown makeup and like the very tips of her pigtails dyed black.

The comics have finally managed to make a non-B:TAS Harley outfit that I don't hate in Roller Derby Harley though.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Calaveron posted:

Did they... did they pixelate her boobs and crotch?

I'm genuinely curious: Could you even make a realistic original Harley costume design without it coming out all sexified and pandering?

Of course you can, jeez. People have been cosplaying that outfit for years and only a few of them tend to go for the body paint look.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mind the walrus posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when it comes to Red Robin. What's cool about it? It looks like someone took Dr. Midnite, stripped out the green, gave him a worse version of the helm from The Phantom of the Paradise, and then said "bandoliers to pull it all together." It didn't make me think "wow Dick Grayson grew up to be a badass." It made me think "Wow Dick Grayson turns into a frumpy loser."

Almost all the other designs from Kingdom Come I can get behind.

It's supposed to look like Keaton's Batman cowl without the pointy ears, but it's still a terrible costume. All of the Red Robin costumes have been terrible, the name is terrible, for that matter. I get the impression they didn't know what to do with Tim once Damian showed up but he deserved better.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It seems hosed up to change vampirella's costume. It'd be like Elvira, mistress of the dark, changing into some goth hot topic stuff.

Plus that design is pretty bad.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well, obviously I'm in the minority here but I feel like there's a time and a place for light hearted, tongue in cheek cheesecake and a horror pulp comics character from 1969 famously drawn by Frank Goddamn Frazetta is that time and place. It's not like she's ever been marketed to kids. I realize that her design sensibility is applied to every woman in a comic book ever and so it's real easy to say it's never appropriate but she's not Wonder Woman or Supergirl. To me Vampirella is a classic look. Her original costume was designed by an extremely outspoken feminist in the underground/alternative comics scene from the 50s and onward, so consider the context.

Plus even if it is sexist as hell and no amount of context is going to change your mind, that new costume is loving terrible. The other two look like the characters that they are. Vampirella's new look is like something from one of those forgettable aughts vampire hunter movies, like Van Helsing or that Hansel and Gretel movie. It doesn't remotely read as Vampirella.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

mind the walrus posted:

Lady Gardner seems real lazy.

Gal Gardner.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Die Laughing posted:

It's been bothering me since I posted about Captain Marvel's costume being all primary colors (Red, blue, yellow), someone said the primary colors are Red, Blue, Green. I had this primary color argument with my cousin yesterday. What's the deal? Is the red, blue, green thing a recent development having to do with digital colors or what?

It was a joke about one of the old Captain Marvel costumes being green

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Happy Hippo posted:

Kirby owns but his designs don't translate to live action very well. The first Thor movie had everyone dressed in loving plastic.

This is my problem with the Thor movie suits, the designs are great but the execution feels very cheap. It doesn't really feel like otherworldly, cosmic god/alien armor as everything is very obviously molded rubber. They can obviously manage to make Iron Man look like actual metal so I dont know why they go with this look.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

qntm posted:

I thought everybody agreed that Cap's best costume in the films was civvies plus the shield.

It's the costume he wears in the shows when he punches Hitler. That's the best movie Cap costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

That's so Apocalypse that it should be lawsuit material.

That's So Apocalypse was my favorite Disney Channel show in the 00s.

• Locked thread