Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Martello posted:

No, like if I saw someone with a really good original Spidey costume, I'd be like "hey man that's a really good Spider-Man costume." If I saw someone in that abomination above, I'd say "hey man, what the gently caress is wrong with you and how does that stupid loving jacket even work?"

Well, it's a jacket, so you put it on and button it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Except that, as the Marvel films show, that shared universe is also a very powerful and unique selling point.

Ignoring arguments against that statement itself, how has that success helped the comics industry, do you think?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

It's shown that there is a market beyond the diehards and encouraged them to at least try and expand out of the niche they have dwindled into appealing to them.

The comics industry contracting has forced them to look for a market beyond diehards. The audience for triple-a, blockbuster superhero films aren't evidence that there's a wider market for comics buyers unless they're actively investing in and becoming part of the comic buyer market off the back of those films. Are they?

Gaz-L posted:

Disney and Warner now see comics as viable IP farms, as opposed to worthless money sinks and lunchbox fodder?

So nothing has changed for the comics industry? They've always been viable IP farms. Disney and WB could let DC and Marvel collapse tomorrow and they'd have nearly a hundred years of comics to sift through before they run out of ideas. Comic book movies have been lucrative since the eighties at least.

Secondly, comics aren't 'worthless money sinks'. They're profitable, collect a lot in merchandising and, admittedly, royalties from films, and are becoming more profitable and overcoming issues with distribution and finally adapting to modern technology.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Hancock!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Half the audience for those movies is young women, which would be the audience that a lot of these costume redesigns (to bring us back on topic) are aimed at getting in the door.

Young women who are interested in comic books, which overlap with, but exist separate from, young women who will go and see the latest blockbuster superhero film. You're attributing cause and effect to coincidence and demographic overlap and eclipse.

I'm asking for evidence that people who would not purchase comic books before did so because of the movies. Did they? Do they? It's something that gets stated a lot, but I'm not sure it's backed up by any long-term lasting trend in sales or demographics.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 17, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

Has anyone said "Blunder Woman" yet?

Repeatedly and quietly to myself on the bus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

He kind of looks a little bit like that Aztec Batman from that weird what-if style line of stories in the nineties.

• Locked thread