Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

I love this take on Punisher by Paolo Rivera, from a short arc during Brand New Day era. Alcoholic Uncle Frank :allears:

More artists should take liberties with the design on their brief assignments.

The skull on his shirt just looks so happy. Maybe a little bashful. It is delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Wow, that design's awesome. Totally makes me wanna read a book about that dude, he looks really cool. Lots of attitude in his posing and costume.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Spider-Woman's getting a new look which I think is pretty neat:

Having the sunglasses pop out into face-mask mode seems kind of silly and I'm not entirely sure I understand the purpose, but ... I do like the callback to her old mask. I just don't understand. I dig the wings as an optional part of the outfit. Having something that can make the trip between street wear and hero wear is a cool concept. I do wish the red was a little brighter though.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Going down this rabbit hole ends up with everyone in gis or sweatpants and tank tops. Or worse, "tactical" black leather and trenchcoats, the scientifically proven most realistic combat uniform ever :jerkbag:

I think going all-practical all the time is pretty silly, but I really can't find it in me to be annoyed when designs for female characters include pants. I'm pretty sure there are more female characters running around without even tights than there are male ones. (like, there's Namor, but ...)

So as far as practical on the level of 'legs are at least covered in some form of fabric' I am a-OK with it. You can keep things ridiculous and flashy and fun that way, or just cool in general, which that WW design doesn't necessarily succeed in. But I don't think saying "hey, this female costume design has pants!" is inherently a bad ... rabbit hole to go down or whatever.

Also a superhero in sweatpants and a tank-top would be pretty funny to me, as a one-off character idea. :allears:

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I love that he insults a guy who disagrees by calling him "Matt Murdock." Like ... you're not only blind but all your girlfriends are dead and crazy?

His arguments are even less detailed than the people countering him but he accuses them of just saying "nuh-uh" as if he isn't doing the same. I enjoyed that link and string of tweets. Also, Ms Marvel's costume is really fitting for the character's age and culture, and looks good too. :colbert: (I know no one here's arguing, but still.)

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

Half the audience for those movies is young women, which would be the audience that a lot of these costume redesigns (to bring us back on topic) are aimed at getting in the door.

I got pulled in to (mainstream, superhero) comics-buying by seeing First Avenger and Winter Soldier back to back, going to the comic store, seeing there was a Black Widow ongoing with cool and non-creepy art and picking that up the day after seeing the movies. :ohdear: And I'm a mid-twenties woman, so I'm probably at least a little of what they're going for.

Personally I appreciate the effort they're putting in. There's still blunders like Wonder Woman's weird wrist knives, and creepy poo poo abounds (hello Greg Land), but that they're even giving it a go - even if it IS just to expand market share and git money - feels good.

I've got a couple friends who got in by way of Ms Marvel, and one or two who heard about Hawkeye or had me shove it in their faces who've also started buying stuff off and on. Hawkeye's not really related to the costume topic, but it is something young adult women are buying as well. So at least to some tiny degree it's working, in my limited circle of already-nerdy friends who just weren't readin' superhero stuff. I have no idea how well it's working on any broader level.

(Edit: Feel like it's also worth noting that I did and do read non-superhero comics as well, so I wasn't a total non-comics reader before gettin' converted. :shrug: Hawkeye-reading friend reads that and Batman '66 only; one of the Ms Marvel people started reading because she's Muslim and liked the idea of a Muslim girl superhero. Those folks weren't movie converts, tho both had seen the movies.)

A Tin Of Beans fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Mar 17, 2015

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

hiddenriverninja posted:

Maybe they should have put them on the underside of her wrists like Assassin's Creed

Just giving us some indication that they're retractable and not perpetually hangin' out would go a long way toward redeeming them in my eyes. I'm holding out hope, I guess. :shrug:

fatherboxx posted:

COOL COSTUME CHAT YA ALL

Check out this sexy Star-Lord by Dustin Weaver

Hoodie Gamora is reminding me of some weird mix of Spider-Gwen and the TV Green Arrow costume. Seems cool enough, but also a little ... low-tech and casual for a space assassin. I'm not sure.

Not a fan of that mask for Peter, but the costume overall is interesting and I could probably buy it if he weren't standing with his legs like that. Why is he doing that? Is he OK.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

net cafe scandal posted:

I been counting down to the first DC manbun.. since that Buzzfeed article dropped I've noticed 300% more dudes doing their hair up in the city

Marvel should beat them to the punch and throw that hairstyle on Bucky Barnes. After getting him out of that dumbass space book, anyway. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

I'm really digging on that Red Sonja. :swoon: I'm glad they swapped out the chainmail bikini for the chainmail ... whatever-it-is there with the sideboob and all. I get that chainmail bikinis are a pulp staple/cliche, but boy howdy is it nice seeing something that manages to bring variety and remain good looking. The cape feels weather-appropriate but can still be thrown back to show off all the skin the chainmail doesn't cover. It all seems pretty functional and believable without sacrificing looks, at least in my opinion. I guess maybe it'll be too un-sexy for some readers, but ... that's stupid. Outfit's still plenty revealing, just feels a lot more like she could actually survive outdoors. The redesign is honestly making me think I should get off my rear end and read some drat Red Sonja finally.

Vampirella is ... ugh. I don't like that redesign. It's like they looked around at other redesigns happening and just kind of shrugged and went as generic as possible. I guess it does read OK for what she does, but I'm not getting a lot of personality besides "goth chick who hunts monsters I guess." Everything about it feels derivative.

Dejah Thoris mostly works for me, but I'm not liking the flat line of her costume above the belly button. I want some more ornamentation above the bare skin. Even just make the leather tattered to break up that straight line, I don't know. I'm fine with the skin showing, it just feels ... lazy, as-is? Especially compared to how interesting the rest of the outfit looks. I'm really hung up on this one part of the costume because it's dumb and bad.

Anyway, it is 2015 and I am employed so take that I guess.

• Locked thread