Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I love costume discussion. Not that I have anything to add, the OP is pretty great though, and the worst part of internet creatives doing cool redesigns is when you compare them to what is standard in comics right now.

I think Extremis Iron Man by I assume Adi Granov was Tony's peak look. Since then it's all gone downhill, even in the movies.

I would love to hear on designs people know are terrible but are still nostalgic about. I've liked a lot of Wonder Man's terrible outfits and Kyle Rayner's crab mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I didn't like the old costume at all but this one doesn't click with me immediately. Interested to see how other artists interprete it. I felt the same way about Cap Marvel at first too and now looking back it was an A++ change.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

What are you, blind?!!!! Can't you see how he hosed it all up??!!!

I have no idea either

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I think that's an example of a good art style covering for a plain design. I think stars aren't a good fit for her since it makes her seem American inspired.

Still, better than what we usually get.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I never noticed before, but her skirt situation is weird. And her thigh/hip situation.

I liked her eagle war armor at the end, though. And speaking of Kingdom Come costumes, I wish more Lanterns looked like this.

It's practical, makes Alan Scott look older and more vulnerable inside, while also making him look way more badass. It's not the form fitting outfit of a young agile hero, it's the blocky solid armor of an experienced and powerful old man.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 30, 2014

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Amazons use weapons and armor so it fits just fine, Stars and Stripes aside. I agree about Superman, though.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

TwoPair posted:

Even if elements of it are dumb, I really do like cartoon/90s Cyclops more than any of the full bodysuit versions I've ever seen. No Scott, putting an X on your face does not make the body condom cool, just stop trying to make it work already. poo poo, young time-displaced Cyclops has a better costume.

Gonna just mention I hate the costumes on the young X-Men. They look like throwaway-teenage-superhero-group that shows up for one issue to fight the Teen Titans because they're boss is actually evil. The different colors make them look like Power Rangers.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Inkspot posted:

From the creative genius who brought us Robot, a robot, Monster Girl, a girl who can turn into a monster, and Wolf-Man, a wolf man. I like some of Kirkman's stuff, and the joke was redeemed by Luke Cage's reaction on the next page, but come on.

Also personal favorite "Tech Jacket"

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I bet drawing that lion every time at different poses and angles sucked rear end.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Red Bones posted:

I thought Cyclops' big red X was a physical object, like his regular visor is. Is it always meant to be just a red bit of is costume vacuum formed into every contour of his face?

Depends on the artist. I prefer the physical object interpretation. It's still more molded to his face than the old visor, but it should not be drawn like they are just red color on his spandex mask. I also think the costume works best with really stylized art and flat colors, the more details you add the less cool it looks.

I like Kitty Pryde's current costume cause it's just a basic rear end X-Men outfit. I always preferred X-Men outfits looking like uniforms over superhero costumes.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

At some point, when you are trying to achieve that much efficiency with so little artistic merit, why are you even a comic book artist anymore?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Does he work for Cerberus now?

Seriously. I like it, but drat. Venom has had some great redesigns. I've liked almost all of them, which is funny considering how much I hate how Carnage looks in everything ever.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

What about this giant cape and these tiny horns on my head, they help me hide, right

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I agree with all of these. The Animal Man one is hardest since it's the last recognizable to me, but the overall design is simple and catchy. The others are all pretty good evolutions of the original looks. Orion and Adam Strange really won in the reboot designs.

New Raven and the Starfire costumes have been pretty awful though, and that Robin up there is a literal joke that can't be real, because this is reality, and that thing doesn't belong in my reality.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

WickedHate posted:

Is Orion still flying around in that harness? Because man, that is one of the worst Kirby creations ever.

It's the best worst thing and I'd be sad if he didn't have it.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

Travel Foreman designs for Justice League United. Love his take on Metamorpho.

drat I like all of those. Creepy Metamorpho is awesome.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

The first scenes with Robot Man in GM's Doom Patrol handled this pretty well. Made it sound like torture.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

T-shirt Superman was great last time. I like the classic S a whole lot, too. It feels much more like a modern take on him than the techno-armor stuff. Haircut and grimace are putting me off, right now though. Wonder Woman I like some of, but don't know where the hand knives come into play. It feels like DC is listening to complaints and facing up to weird poo poo they've pulled. It's not really that perfect yet but these are cool moves.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Giant wrist swords seem weird and not in an interesting way to me. I don't mind robot Batman or wild rear end changes to designs but it will take a lot to convince me that those are a good addition.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I love the poo poo out of his style but feel his costume designs aren't very iconic. They are neat, but just too detailed to be memorable. Except his awesome monster Metamorpho.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

His style isn't bad but it isn't superheroey. Stuff works for a fantasy take on DC, and I would be very down for that.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

Holy poo poo, Quicksilver :stonk:

That* Quicksilver costume looks like it was designed by someone who really, really doesn't like or care about Quicksilver.

*All

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I don't think casual clothes work for every hero or every art style, but the Hawkeyes via Aja are the gold standard.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

I get that I'm supposed to go "An all-female justice league! Wowza!" but instead I'm like "OH NO THE 90S HAVE RETURNED!"

I agree, that is a great collection of terrible designs. I think the Flash is ok in a corny way, and I always think bulky mad Wonder Woman is a fun thing, but blegh

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I agree that the costume makes Hemsworth look a lot smaller than he actually is.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I actually think the Anti-Monitor has looked pretty loving rad and gritty creepy throughout his existence so that is really disappointing.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Knives Amilli posted:

Speaking of the Ray, I liked his new 52 look. Even though it was deviation from the "Fin Head" look, it had a "light hero/Apollo/Sun God" aesthetic (shiny skin really is reminiscent of Captain Atom tho) . Really looks he'd fit better in a Cosmic setting (character is basically dead now).

I know nothing about the Ray other than tiny cameos but I loved his fin head look. It was very different but memorable.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I'm having a hard time thinking of any anime designs that aren't terrible. And I don't even hate anime.

Gundams look cool and look how much they have to milk that.

(Let's not make this the anime costume thread)

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Two characters who should look extremely goofy and corny and unique: FIrestorm and Alan Scott. POOFY SLEEVES.

I like the giant design above the same way I liked the monstrous Metamorpho from Travel Foreman. Superheros should have more distinct body archetypes.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Does not look very inspired. Also his name is Kenji which makes me really confused.

As an American-born Chinese guy who loves superhero comics and is married to a Chinese lady this whole thing sounded really interesting but looks stupid as poo poo.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 12, 2016

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

If you think kids today would agree that Reeve's costume is better you're foolin yourself.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Deadshot's classic mask is a loving treasure and the most obviously cool design. The last time I was this offended at a pointless open face was Starlord. Also, someone explain how Croc's jaw works.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Looks dumb and over-detailed especially around the hips and thighs, but also entirely like I expected. I wish they were more movie-Iron Man and less movie-Transformers.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Oh my god. I actually thought the first game was fine design wise with what they were going for, and an ok departure from the norm, but goddamn what happened here.

What's up with Dad bod Superman

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

To me variations of the Spider-man costume are judged on exactly how much, or how little, the gently caress up an already good thing.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

My City of Heroes characters always had those boots so kindly BACK THE gently caress OFF, SIR

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I know almost nothing about Vigilante but I like that

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Firestorm works because of what was said above. Booster and Herc (and Gambit) are arrogant smug pricks so it works on them. I've solved the equation.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

kinda?! hurrrghg :barf:

I'd love to see the design concept art that convinced anyone to OK this. I can't even figure out what its going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

In the interest of not being a salty poo poo everywhere I should say that the one thing I kind-of like about Ray Fisher's Cyborg design is that it makes him look like a head thrown on a metal skeleton which is visually unsettling in the way Cyborg's built-in angst should be.

It does ignore that for the most part Cyborg has always been a bruiser, but then again almost all of his designs fail to convey that he's just a few meat parts on a machine while this makes it unambiguous that he's a brain, part of a face, and all metal.

new-Robocop was the first time a movie has made me feel the impact of this sort of thing. Not sure if that's what I'm looking for out of a superhero movie but it definitely left a mark.

• Locked thread