Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

fatherboxx posted:

I can't enforce anything on you, but please, avoid beating the dead horses, namely Rob Liefeld and Aaron Diaz. There is nothing new to say about them at this point.

In defense of Rob, though, I do remember back in the early 90s right before or after he started his New Mutants run, he did an interview where he brought up some interesting thoughts at the time on his costume designs. It's been years since I read it, but I seem to remember him talking about how he went through some fashion magazines to get an idea of styles and try to make them work for superheroes and while it was never really shown too much in the comics I think he talked about how all his costumes were supposed to be sort of multifunction: The sleeves were to be able to come off the jackets for hot weather, there'd be hoods that came out of the collars for cold/wet weather.

All that being said, I liked his Cannonball redesign. Sam's goggles sort of invoking the idea of an old WWI/WWII pilot sort of fits a bit with a notion of a old-fashioned, good-natured, all-American boy with dreams/powers of flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Ashcans posted:

Powergirls's costume is unfortunate because apart from the cupcake problem I think it actually has some good color choice and styling (mostly I think the half-cape and cuffed gloves are good/interesting and the contouring/quilting on the plain costume works pretty well to make a plain white outfit more interesting on the page). But those redos basically trade closing the boobhole for overall ugly designs. I don't know why they decided they needed to stick a P on her somewhere, she's never had one and trying to mash it into her chest/bib is just clumsy.

I'm going to throw out a bit of an odd idea along these lines: Give her stripped down (no pun intended) costume that is sort of like a mix of Young Superman, Kon-El and TAS Supergirl. A sort of white t-shirt and blue sorta-denim shorts with some added little flair/design to it to give it a heroic sort of look. The idea of Power Girl as casually comfortable in an active athletic tomboy sort of way in her costume design could be interesting and a way to sort of differentiate her a bit more from someone like Wonder Woman who has shared a similar bare arms, bare legs design.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
New Mutants (I think) immediately after the death of Doug and the 'deaths' of the X-Men had the kids coping by finding a bunch of discarded and unused costume remnants during the Blevins era.

Looking back at them now I think the only one that maybe sort of looked maybe sort of okayish was Illyana if only by virtue of looking a bit like Colossus' red-vest costume.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Jubilee did the same thing:

It's like she's trying to cosplay as a fanmade Jem and the Holograms character.

Dazzler's top, Storm's jacket, Rogue's lower half, Logan's hair... God...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

I think that's Longshot's jacket actually.

Edit: Maybe not.

Just his belt and manpurse

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

Is she...is she peddling drugs?

No, Splenda. Aunt May loves all the varieties of calorie-free sweetners.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
It almost looks a bit like a caduceus, which would maybe be in line with the character.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I think the Raven redesign could work if it was just tweaked a bit. I like the feather mask, it makes her come off as a bit alien.

I think really it's on the cusp of being a very cool modernized take on the supernatural action hero look, but there's just a little bit of things here and there that drag it down. Maybe the feather mask is just enough and the rest of the outfit needs to go back to being more like her traditional gear.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Wonder Woman looks a bit like Barda to me.

However, I think it might have looked better if they'd kept the silver instead of gold, but I think there's just too much metal on that outfit for that design.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
His face looks like Patton Oswalt. (Batton Oswalt?)

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The X-Men is a comic book movie franchise I sort of wished didn't really end up with them having a uniform/costume immediately. It seems like I LIKE their action a bit more when they're all dressed up in everyday sort of clothing.

Admittedly, you do get to a point where characters start to need/wear something like combat suits or something, but I've sort of always wanted to see an X-men movie that spends a lot more time with mutants living in the shadows fighting a covert war and trying their best to fit in with the rest of humanity as they can. The gradual shift to uniforms comes 2-3 films later once the mutants start to get out into the open with the public a lot more.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

McSpanky posted:

That's why they should do a different thing in each movie, it's not like Fox is hopping off this train anytime soon. If the retro-sequel path stays true the next one should take place sometime in the 90s, a perfect opportunity to abandon all restraint and bring the Jim Lee look to the big screen. Why yes, it is yellow spandex :smugdog:

Seeing the X-men costuming evolve as it progresses could be an interesting shorthand for their develop through the franchise, too. If something like Post-Magneto-level events when the public sees mutants for the first time, Xavier pulls a tactic similar to Reed Richards. He could be trying to remold his idea of the publuc face of the X-men into trying to look more individualized and heroic people than a biker gang or wearing matching paramilitary uniforms.

Not saying I really think most of the comic book costumes could/would translate well on screen, though, without some major modifications. But stuff like Scott walking around with a bomber jacket over his normal costume, Nightcrawler in an outfit that looks more like something an acrobat would wear, etc. might work if the story made a point to focus on the design was to attempt to make the public view mutants in a different way.

Also, in keeping in the spirit of the 90-onwards, it sort of paints Xavier as sort of a bit more manipulative and flawed than a wholly saintly figure.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
I could see a young Superman maybe even trying to hide that he's actually a powerful alien and an armored suit maybe tricks people into thinking he's just a normal guy with some high-tech gear.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

WickedHate posted:

You know, fans tend to draw Velma as short and pudgy(not in the image Say Nothing posted, but it got me to thinking about this), fitting her being a geek, but why not Daphne be the fat one or something? It'd be cool for the "pretty one" to have a body type that isn't "swimsuit model".

I think about the later 90s or so when the first big Scooby revivals were starting to happen with Zombie Island there was maybe a notion that due to Velma being the 'geekier' one that gradually making her thinner and less frumpy was sort of a more modern move of the time. One of those things that you could show off to kids that this smart/nerdy character can still be as attractive as a Daphne.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

WickedHate posted:

The goal should be "fat frumpy people can be beautiful too" not "thin unfrumpy people can be geeky too".

If they'd not spent the last 20 years progressively thinning Velma down, a modern Scooby Doo likely would probably have done this.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Skwirl posted:

They need to just accept movie magic and stop giving Steve Rodgers a hood. He doesn't have a secret identity and any "tactical realism" arguments about go out the window when you realize Black Widow and Hawkeye don't wear helmets and are a poo poo ton less resilient than Captain America.

Are comic book movies just sort of gradually abandoning the the secret identity plot point, or making it less important, overall?

The MCU films maybe started it with Iron Man 1 ending on something I, and several others, probably thought was shocking for the time: "I am Iron Man." No spending a few films trying to hide that Tony and IM are the same guy. No spending films hiding that Rhodey is War Machine frmo the general public. Thor doesn't do a Donald Blake secret life. Post-Avengers, Steve Rogers is maybe more publically known as Cap. America to some extent with or without his mask on. Man of Steel had him pretty much telling anyone who would listen or put pieces together that he's Clark Kent. From a few rumors and teasers of what I'm sort of hearing about a few other DC movies coming out that a semi-known secret identity thing feels like it will be present there, too.

Is it just sort of a by product of the modern age that given the internet, social networking culture and camera phones that trying to keep stuff like this a complete secret is just unbelievable to the public, so we've got to have some degree of accepting that truly secret identities are a bit of a rarity that most active costumed characters just won't be able to have?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

I thought the colors and the 'W' look on his stomach makes me think of Wonder Man for a moment, but I guess it makes sense as he IS the Boy Wonder.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

hiddenriverninja posted:

I don't understand the design aesthetic behind gimp mask Cassandra.

Acne Rain posted:

she cannot talk... not literally but she has a sub child level vocabulary.

There was also, I seem to recall, a huge discussion years ago that the design was either misogynistic or a social commentary on women in comics. The talking points for both sides were essentially the same, though.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Looking up Scott's powers:

quote:

Cyclops possesses the mutant ability to project a powerful beam of concussive, ruby-colored force from his eyes. Cyclops's eyes are no longer the complex organic jelly that utilizes the visible spectrum of light to see the world around it. Instead, they are inter-dimensional apertures between this universe and another, non-Einsteinian universe, where physical laws as we know them do not pertain.

At this point, his entire life should be spent in a screaming horror of the things he has beheld.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Travis343 posted:

Spider-Man started the basketball texture trend, way back in 2001 or whenever that movie came out, with its raised rubber webs that a broke high school student somehow made in his bedroom.

Just a few years before that film came out there was a minor popularity boom in tubes* of rubber fabric paint in various colors that had a similar raised look to them when it dried. Grade-through-high school kids used them on clothes a lot just to handwrite words and pictures and what not. I always sort of took that webbing stuff was something like that. Besides, Peter had both zero social life and had the WHOLE SUMMER to put that thing together.

(*not to be confused with boom tubes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Maybe not the right thread, but I was walking through the fabric section of a store and they had a lot of pop culture related costume patterns for sale.

However, rather than the full run of more popular heroes like Superman, Spider-Man, Cap, etc. They were for Deadpool and the DC Bombshells.

http://www.simplicity.com/searchsummary?q=Bombshells
http://www.simplicity.com/pattern-8236-mens-marvel-deadpool-costumes/8236.html

• Locked thread