Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Were you a WCW kid or a WWF kid?
WWF all the way
WCW for life
Neither, I watched ECW
I'm Brodus Clay, I put one tv on top of the other.
View Results

• Locked thread
Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Watched WWF through most of the cartoon era and then dropped off when WCW started getting good and watched that until about 1998 or whenever the downward spiral really hit. I didn't stick around until the very end, just stopped watching altogether for quite a few years.

Something about WWE's production values during the 'attitude era' always bothered me. It's still hard for me to get into clips nowadays from around that time and I don't know if it was the way it was filmed or how everything was always covered in pyro smoke or whatever but aesthetically it just didn't do anything for me around that time.

WCW for whatever reason just looked better to me production wise (though their entrance music never sounded right) and the cruiser weights and tag teams kept me around. And with like 200 wrestlers being on the paid roster at once you could see pretty much any stupid combo of people facing each other randomly on a Nitro. The beginning of the NWO stuff was pretty fun too. Felt like WCW was geared more toward actual wrestling matches with a good variation of things happening outside of the Hogan main event funhouse and WWF was trying really hard to be that ~wacky~ uncle who said suck it a lot to offend your parents, told dirty jokes because hardly anyone on the roster at the time could actually wrestle and had the same people facing each other all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

It's weird (and I'm not saying you're wrong! It's just a matter of preference/opinion) but for me it was the opposite. WCW's production values seemed really amateurish and lovely, with terrible sound mixing and pretty poor camerawork. WWF, on the other hand, I found a slicker and more professional production even when it was being cartoony (perhaps BECAUSE it was being cartoony) where everything was carefully managed so even the most chaotic moments, while feeling organic, made sure you could see and hear everything that was going on in a way that made sense.

Really though it was the sound-mixing that really pissed me off about WCW. You've got the "Huuuu huuu hu huuuu HUUUUU HUUUUUUUU!" of the ring announcer, the commentators talking over everything, the crowd is just a mass poorly micced noise that often overrode the theme music, and then you've got wrestlers cutting promos to camera as they walk down the aisle only you can only make out every 3rd or 4th word.

"....Malenko.... out because..... to..... then you'll.... with me!"

I understand what you mean and I'm also not saying you're not right - the WWF's production at the time probably was better from an actual production standpoint but for whatever reason the look and feel of WCW just worked better for me. I honestly can't pinpoint what exactly it was and I agree the audio for entrance music and some other things was garbage but it was just more visually easy to watch. WCW's commentary team worked much better for me as well. Having Heenan helped on the days he gave a poo poo.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 14, 2014

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

laz0rbeak posted:

I think your bias might be creeping in, but I don't think that's particularly true. Once the Attitude Era was actually rolling post screwjob, they had plenty of talent in basically every level of the company. 1997 is pretty top-heavy and the shows generally sucked, but even then there was Rock and Triple H working their way through the rest of the midcard.

Just clicked on a random PPV from 97 (D-Generation X: In Your House) and not only did the match list look pretty bad but FOUR matches end on a DQ on a pay per view show?

Edit: Wasn't watching during that era so I don't know if match lists looked that bad overall but goddamn did that card look bad. It was D-X branded too so I assume they were basically the big deal at the time.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 14, 2014

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

The silly poo poo they wrote for Norman Smiley to do was one of the only reasons to watch pre-death era WCW. I'll never forget him having hardcore matches and showing up in full football gear and hilariously dumb stuff like that.

• Locked thread