Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Aeble posted:

My dad keeps talking about it. It's all "you have to disentangle yourself from your ego" and "god is the universe". He also showed me The Secret and is way, way into all that craziness. I've had some talks with him, but I really don't see how to get someone out of it if they don't want to. I think it's pretty sad.

That said, it's an interesting topic, if only for the morbid curiosity of what gets people trapped like this. I mean, I watched The Secret DVD and it was hillariously dumb. You really have to *want* to believe when it talks about your thinking making magnetic waves that fix the universe so you get a new bike, or whatever.

Some people just want to believe. I have a former friend who fell into The Secret whole-heartedly after her project of becoming a Buddhist failed to produce an SUV despite numerous weeks doing some-odd chant she kept describing. In fact, as far as I know she had a history stretching from early adulthood of trying out religions to see which ones would produce miracles on demand.

I found her fascination with The Secret particularly interesting because everything she said about the Law of Attraction and how she was going to think her way to wealth reminded me of early 20th century Hermetics. It's like Byrne took the basic tenents of Hermetic Philosophy as understood by the English re-popularization of it -- literal belief in the employment of magical rituals -- and washed it of any historical and religious interest, leaving just an insane metaphysics.

For some reason, she wasn't thrilled when I compared her attempts to wish herself an SUV to practicing magic. v:shobon:v

Conskill fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread