Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Testikles posted:

I'm planning on doing some research on 'new-thought' and all that. The context I'm looking at is how believers react or handle emergencies or crises. What I'm really hoping to figure out is 'who' is buying into the philosophy, 'how many' people are believers and lastly 'how' they prepare (if at all) for problems and how they react when things inevitably happen. Are there are any big movements out there besides the Secret? I know it's the most popular but I'm wondering if there's anybody else out there that's got a large enough following (is bulletproof exec just a fringe thing or is it really popular?) Also are there any main forums for this? I have an interest in possibly contacting these people but it'd be interesting to see what 'real' people think.

The pseudoscience thread in SAL is probably your best bet.

As for other scams similar to The Secret, there are definitely lots of them - I don't really know what kind of thing you're looking for. Things that come to mind, in decreasing order of similarity-to-The-Secret, are Deepak Chopra, certain schools of thought about yoga/meditation, various religions, and various alternative medicine practices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread