Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Supersonic Shine posted:

How did Seo and Waka's dates even start, anyway? She stresses him out to the point of insomnia, you'd think he'd want to spend more time away from her.

Waka has no spine and is really, really dumb, so she probably just told him to come with her somewhere and he followed like a puppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

Seo is so oblivious that she doesn't realize her boyfriend hates her, but at least she realizes they're dating in the first place.
You know Waka's got problems when Seo can read the atmosphere better than he can.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Answer: "Come to think of it, I'm hungry..."

This episode had me in stitches from beginning to end. It's proof that Seo is the best heroine, and Waka's dorkiness amplifies that by a thousand.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I forgot to mention I'm actually learning a lot about how manga are drawn from this show. I never thought about how the obviously-not-hand-shaded gray areas were done before. That looked like an insane amount of work.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

I forgot to mention I'm actually learning a lot about how manga are drawn from this show. I never thought about how the obviously-not-hand-shaded gray areas were done before. That looked like an insane amount of work.

It's why manga-ka have assistants and why comic books have a paragraph of credits on the inside.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So basically, Seo likes Waka, Seo starts dating Waka, Waka doesn't realize any of this is happening and thinks she's just harassing him because he is dumb, Waka invites her to the rooftop to try and set her straight but it ends up coming off as a confession or something like that because Waka is dumb, and this is exacerbated by him praising "Lorelei" in front of her because she doesn't know that he doesn't know that she and Lorelei are the same person?

This is insane and I love it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Super Jay Mann posted:

So basically, Seo likes Waka, Seo starts dating Waka, Waka doesn't realize any of this is happening and thinks she's just harassing him because he is dumb, Waka invites her to the rooftop to try and set her straight but it ends up coming off as a confession or something like that because Waka is dumb, and this is exacerbated by him praising "Lorelei" in front of her because she doesn't know that he doesn't know that she and Lorelei are the same person?

This is insane and I love it.

That she thinks it's about changing his nickname is priceless, because it's so pointless but it's also conceivable for a shojo manga couple to have a rooftop talk about.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
They really should have just used Mikorin as a model instead of Seo

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Oh my god, that loving episode. :laffo:

My reaction to Seo is basically an infinitely expanding version of :allears: Her insane/evil laughter during the basketball game at the beginning of the episode was even more beautiful than her singing voice. Never stop being a natural troll Seo. :allears: :swoon:

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yay my favorite "couple". Good stuffs.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Everything about this episode was perfect. Miyuki Sawashiro's doofy/evil laughter and slight embarrassed tone when being "confessed to", the Liberal Arts Clubs kids getting all territorial and Waka being almost as big of a dork as Mikorin. My favorite part, though? Nozaki having a series of small nervous breakdowns / tsukkomi reactions due to Wakamatsu being an idiot.

I haven't laughed this hard at an anime since, I don't know, Nichibros? Servant x Service?

bondster
May 6, 2007

I really liked the animation style during the Seo basketball segments. It comes off very fluid and comical.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
I don't think I've laughed quite this hard at gags that I knew were coming since Working!! Season 2.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

I think Seo might just be too perfect. :allears:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
She's so perfect Waka can't believe he's dating her.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
She'll aim for your faaaace!

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Episode was comedy gold. Rooftop scene was amazing.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The very last punchline was executed to perfection.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Seo is still the best part of the show, even when the rest is already pretty good. Hope they get to the other bits with her like the movie theater.

Does anybody know if Miyuki Sawashiro actually did the singing parts, too?

Sindai posted:

Is manga still commonly done this manually or has everyone moved digital while portrayals like this still show it the old way? Because seriously, I cannot possibly understand how people could go through the process of cutting out screen tones, applying beta, etc, when it seems like pretty much any image editing program could do that poo poo in five seconds flat.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
If that is the case, I imagine they're doing it the old way in the show/manga so they can have more work for more characters.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Bakanogami posted:

Is manga still commonly done this manually or has everyone moved digital while portrayals like this still show it the old way? Because seriously, I cannot possibly understand how people could go through the process of cutting out screen tones, applying beta, etc, when it seems like pretty much any image editing program could do that poo poo in five seconds flat.

It's a matter of personal preference. Lots of authors have moved on to digital work, but there are still plenty who hold to the old ways. Japan is nothing if not traditionalist.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Bakanogami posted:

Seo is still the best part of the show, even when the rest is already pretty good. Hope they get to the other bits with her like the movie theater.

Tons of artists still do everything by hand, hell, Murata Yuusuke who does the redrawn art for One Punch Man(sample) does everything by hand, including things like depth of field blur effects and lens flair/bloom, all with pens and brushes. He even broadcast live video of himself drawing a number of pages of OPM to show how he does all that stuff.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

The whole first half of this episode was amazing :allears:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bakanogami posted:

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if she did. She has a phenomenally adaptable voice. When I first met her, she could easily imitate:
  • Shizuka Ito
  • Youko Hikasa
  • Nobuyuki Hiyama (shouting and all! :allears:)
  • Ryota Kozuka
  • Nana Mizuki
  • Yuuichi Nakamura
  • Tomokazu Sugita

Hell, she even got my voice right. The only thing she couldn't imitate was my broken-rear end accent. So yeah, I cannot sing enough praises about her. :haw:

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Just got into this, and now that I've seen the manga I'm really glad the anime came out because holy poo poo, the translations for the earliest chapters are utter shite. What kind of translator romanizes Seo's first name as Yuduki?

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

This was me during certain parts of the episode:

Would love a GIF of the cringing in motion.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Gyre posted:

Just got into this, and now that I've seen the manga I'm really glad the anime came out because holy poo poo, the translations for the earliest chapters are utter shite. What kind of translator romanizes Seo's first name as Yuduki?

One that's interested in correct orthography, the way the Japanese themselves currently prefer?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

AzraelNewtype posted:

One that's interested in correct orthography, the way the Japanese themselves currently prefer?

It's also how you type it on a keyboard.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Clarste posted:

It's also how you type it on a keyboard.

Well, you could also type it with the redundant z. No d is a non-starter though.

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

AzraelNewtype posted:

I'm well aware that Japanese prefer "du" because what we hear as "z" is actually an allomorph of "d", but most English readers will prefer "zu" because they don't know that rule. They're not using Nihon-shiki or kunrei-shiki romanization consistently anyway, or Kashima would be Kasima.

It's one thing to write romanized Japanese for a Japanese audience, quite another to write it for English speakers.

Aside from that, there are a lot of other befuddling errors, like on this page (compare the translated scene in the anime): http://www.batoto.net/read/_/47504/gekkan-shoujo-nozaki-kun_v1_ch4_by_panda-scans/8

EDIT: Allophone, not allomorph, shouldn't post while sleepy. The phonology is actually more complicated, but let's leave it at that.

Gyre fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Aug 12, 2014

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Gyre posted:

Aside from that, there are a lot of other befuddling errors, like on this page (compare the translated scene in the anime): http://www.batoto.net/read/_/47504/gekkan-shoujo-nozaki-kun_v1_ch4_by_panda-scans/8

Is it common to see scanlations with "un"?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

darkgray posted:

Not terribly, but its not hugely rare either.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Blhue posted:

Not terribly, but its not hugely rare either.

Oh, so readers generally know what it means?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gyre posted:

I'm well aware that Japanese prefer "du" because what we hear as "z" is actually an allomorph of "d", but most English readers will prefer "zu" because they don't know that rule. They're not using Nihon-shiki or kunrei-shiki romanization consistently anyway, or Kashima would be Kasima.

It's one thing to write romanized Japanese for a Japanese audience, quite another to write it for English speakers.

Aren't these the same guys that do speed scanlation releases on the Big 3? Or am I confusing them with a different, animal-themed scanlation group? (Off the big 3, I only follow One Piece, and that already has an official translation).

darkgray posted:

This reminds me of one of the Cats in Monster Hunter 3, for some reason.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

If my study of Japanese has taught me anything, it's that the Japanese should never, ever have any say regarding anything in English or utilizing the Roman alphabet.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

If my study of Japanese has taught me anything, it's that the Japanese should never, ever have any say regarding anything in English or utilizing the Roman alphabet.
One of my favorite animes had a christmas album where a few of the voice actresses sang christmas carols in english. The mood they were going for kinda failed a little.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Every second of this anime makes me laugh. Watching every episode in a row was a bad idea for my sides.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Giving Sabagebu the three episode test the other day, (it failed) my friend and I had this conversation:

"What is with this mascot character?"
"I don't know."
"Does it actually exist, can the other characters see it?"
"It-- oh, they can. Apparently."
"I don't get it."
"Is it a platypus, I think I saw a flat tail."
"I think they said it was a Duck-- oh, yeah it has a flat tail."
"That's weird."
"Oh, I know what it is."
"It's a platypus, right?"
"No, it's a tanuki!"

And then I couldn't respond because I had a serious gigglefit.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Potsticker posted:

Giving Sabagebu the three episode test the other day, (it failed) my friend and I had this conversation:

Are you sure you've got the right thread for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Tanukis are super relevant to this thread! Sabega has a meanness to it I don't really enjoy, but every Nozaki character is full of good-hearted passionate silliness. Even Seo-sempai has her redeeming qualities!

The rooftop scene was one of my favorite parts of the manga, and I'm glad to see it executed so well in the anime.